• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What if Nintendo decided to go VR... how could they do it?

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
People have wanted more VR support from videogame publishers.
Sony has the PlayStation VR.
Steam has their own VR.
Heck, FACEBOOK has Meta with their VR !!!!

Meanwhile Microsoft and Nintendo, both of which are strong rivals to Sony, have yet to pick up VR.
So how would Nintendo possibly do it?

Allow me to introduce to you the idea of ...

Nintendo Vision !

Put simply?
The Nintendo Switch BUT with a VR Platform support.
Basically, when your Switch is docked, you can connect the Nintendo Vision's headset to the console and have the dock project onto the headset instead of a TV.

With the better motion controls of the NS Joycons, Nintendo could have VR games on their market as well as VR editions of their games. Imagine playing Skyward Sword in VR or Pikmin or Metroid Prime or Mario Kart or Switch Sports? Imagine playing VR Skyrim or VR Minecraft on what would essentially be a Nintendo Switch 2.0?

Perhaps this accessory could be better used in an enhanced version of the Nintendo Switch? One that has more processing power when docked because the dock itself has extra hardware that could help enhance the performance capabilities of the Nintendo Switch?

All speculation mind you.
Actually, it would be pretty neat to have the Nintendo Vision have an optional edition that makes the headset resemble the Virtual Boy, though not as massive.

Thoughts anyone?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
sns.png

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
They would need a more powerful console. The Switch is not strong enough to pull off VR with any degree of effectiveness. Heck, running Playstation VR on the original Playstation 4 is pushing it. The resolution of the Switch screen is not enough for VR. Splitting the already smaller resolution of the screen in half makes everything look like a 3DS title.

The controllers would also need to change. The gyroscopic controls in the joycons are not precise enough for VR, since they struggle with tracking their locations and need to be fixed to the Switch in some way in order for the system to track where they are (as with Labo). None of the modern VR headsets use gyroscopic controls, preferring the more precise use of cameras and sensors to track the controllers in real time.

I think Nintendo will go into the VR direction eventually. The Gamecube was supposed to have stereoscopic 3D before being scrapped, and Nintendo finally followed through on the idea with the 3DS a decade later. Labo VR shows that Nintendo has some interest in VR. I think they'll revisit it with more powerful hardware in the future. I don't think on the Switch's successor but the system after that is a real possibility.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I think Nintendo will go into the VR direction eventually. The Gamecube was supposed to have stereoscopic 3D before being scrapped, and Nintendo finally followed through on the idea with the 3DS a decade later. Labo VR shows that Nintendo has some interest in VR. I think they'll revisit it with more powerful hardware in the future. I don't think on the Switch's successor but the system after that is a real possibility.

The hardware would definitely have to advance a fair bit in order to provide what most would consider a satisfactory VR experience. PSVR is pretty solid despite its limitations, so that's kind of the baseline I'd expect Nintendo hardware to be at before VR could be done well.

Last edited:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
There are a few games that support VR. BotW can be played with VR and some levels of Captain Toad tracker can also be played with VR (although very limited) and Bowsette is right. There need to be more work done to make VR become a reality for the switch. BotW looks more like a DS game with VR than a real VR game. I'm prepared for when it comes. 100 years longer isn't that much :P

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Perhaps Nintendo is concerned that quite a large portion of their fan base, especially since a big part of that is younger people, would find it difficult to afford to purchase a VR headset (and labo was within the affordability budget for most parents to give to kids as a gift).

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Perhaps Nintendo is concerned that quite a large portion of their fan base, especially since a big part of that is younger people, would find it difficult to afford to purchase a VR headset (and labo was within the affordability budget for most parents to give to kids as a gift).

I feel like the marketing of one of the Labo kits as VR while at the same time treating it as a kids toy was one of the big reasons for it not working.

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
True, but just being cardboard kind of emphasized for me that the Labo was a toy, rather than any serious indicator of interest in VR.
Silly Bowsette Plus-Ultra, all videogames are toys.
All videogames are available for all ages and the ESRB/PEGI rating systems are just lies.
So go ahead.
Give a kid The Legend of Zelda and Dead Space.
Give a kid Pokemon and Silent Hill.
Give a kid Mario and Halo.
Give a kid Metroid and Alien Isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom