• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What if Link Was a Girl in the Next Zelda Game?

masterSword2

Smile!
If Link was a girl in the next game how would you react? Would you even care?

Personally I wouldn't particularly care if it happened because Link never talks so I cant see it having a major impact on the game. That aside I think it might be interesting for Nintendo to do something new like that.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I would be ecstatic. I've always wanted Link to be a girl, and it wouldn't ruin the character image at all. To most, he's a silent hero who has a sword and wears green. Not much indication that he *has* to be a boy, besides the fact that hero is masculine by default (heroine for females).

Nothing would change. Totally inb4 Zelda would have to be a boy. She doesn't.

The fundamentals of a Zelda are NOT "Link saves the princess". Did Majora's Mask do that? Nope. How about OoX? Nope, at least not Linked game and even then that wasn't the focal point. Did Link's Awakening? Twilight Princess? Nope, yes sort of but that wasn't the focal point of the game. The fundamentals of a Zelda game are simply great gameplay. Changing the gender of the avatar does not change a thing. Need proof? Look at Kingdom Hearts (wow, I use KH a lot). In KH1, we play as Sora. In KH2, Sora again (Riku and Mickey are playable momentarily). But fastforward to KHBBS. We get to play as Terra (a boy), Ventus (a boy)...and Aqua, who incidentally is a girl. It didn't change a THING as to what KH was.

This would translate over to a Zelda game. Link being female wouldn't change anything but his gender. It isn't as radical a change as, say, voice acting, and even that wouldn't automatically harm the game it is featured in.

Everyone hates/opposes the idea of Link being female, and I honestly ask "Why?". What seriously would change? The 3D animation would have boob physics [I don't agree with the whole "children shouldn't see the animation" because it is 100% natural for breasts to move according to how physics work], but what else would seriously change? The Link entity would have the same personality as the male Link. Link and Zelda isn't even an official pairing; not even the closest we got to official ZeLink (SS) confirmed the two as locked in love. They were, as far as we could tell, the best of childhood friends and nothing more.

Last edited:

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Link the character is a male. Making him a female makes me personally feel like it's not the same character. Nothing against females, of course -- I'm one myself -- but to be honest, I'd rather have Link stay the same as he is, as the idea of making him female really doesn't interest me anyway...

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Considering my whole name is "Heroine" of Time, I probably shouldn't complain if Link was a girl... but I just can't even picture it. It would be... different, to say the least. I don't think I'd mind, but it's probably never going to happen anyway. There's no reason for Link to be a girl; like Darknut Hunter said, it wouldn't change the game too much.

As long as Nintendo made her look hot than I wouldn't care. I'm generally open to these new ideas.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I would love for Link to be a girl; it would allow for those who are uncomfortable with playing a male avatar to enjoy the series a bit more. Not only that, but I'm sure it'd be interesting what Nintendo does with the character.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I would love for Link to be a girl; it would allow for those who are uncomfortable with playing a male avatar to enjoy the series a bit more. Not only that, but I'm sure it'd be interesting what Nintendo does with the character.
Have you met someone that's uncomfortable playing as a male character? I never have, so I'm simply curious.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
What are you talking about? Link has always been a girl. The question is... What if Zelda... was a girl?

Just kidding. I wouldn't mind. It wouldn't be the same, but I'm never opposed to the idea of a girl getting involved. ;) I can imagine it would upset a lot of fans, though... I don't think it would bother me that much, though.

Dan

I would personally go to Japan and thank Nintendo. Link should be a girl. So should Zelda and there should be a bigger romance still.
The sad thing is the amount of controversy something so simple would cause. The hardcore zelda fans would be ripping there freshly soil underwear off themselfs and throwing it at the wall. Screaming like apes. Fox news would be all like "OMGZ NINTENDO A WELL KNOW KID FRIENDLY CHILD COMPANY GONE ROUGE, VIDEO GAMES ARE DAMAGING CHILDREN".

I would be interested on the other hand seeing the design as well. :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Have you met someone that's uncomfortable playing as a male character? I never have, so I'm simply curious.

Met them face to face? No. But I've had discussions with these types of people time and time again. Now, I can never be sure if these people were joking all along or not, but if what they've said thus far is any indication, such people do exist! I mean, I recall from a few years back a couple threads on many different sites suggesting that a male using a female character is a wuss, chicken etc (probably some plight about being stereotypically "manly"). Why wouldn't the opposite be true as well, a female using a male character is a man herself (once again some plight about being stereotypically "womanly")?

Oh, speaking of which, I found a video relating to Link being a female:
[video=youtube;Wa_vP21LePc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa_vP21LePc&feature=plcp[/video]

It is someways in there, from 00:15 to around 1:45.

AnimeHat

Humming Swordsman
I... Don't really think it would work. I mean, not to mention that it's become a trend that Link is a male character, the whole rescuing the princess thing would be... Awkward...

Dan

@Amy

Da'ew she's so cute, she reminds me of a young Joe Pisapoll.
However she is wrong, it would change everything. BECAUSE.... Nintendo could do a storyline focusing on the hardships of being a women in a male dominating world !

Okay I'll get the **** out...

Fig

The Altruist
Personally, I would be pleased to see Nintendo using a new game development method of Link being a girl rather than his usual masculine self. It would take some time for me to fully accept Link's appearance and gender if they ever decide to gender-bender the series. If that's the case, then I can't wait to see the final boss be a female, since most of the final bosses in the series are male (Oracle of Age's final boss is Veran, a female, thus explains why I wrote why most of the series final bosses are male). It would be nice to see a female final boss since Veran

Seeing Link as a girl would actually make me more into the game rather than separate it from the series. I personally would enjoy a game of the Zelda series that used a fresh new idea for its gameplay, storyline, and concept. Thus I believe that nothing would change from the series. Honestly, the only thing that I can see changing is just the storyline to focus on the new heroine and the characters around her. That's basically it. Nothing to it. It also seems like a game that Nintendo can easily pull off, but it will take some time for it to begin developing into a great game. I hope Nintendo will make a game like the way on I and other members who support describe it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom