• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What if Link had dialouge?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
EDIT: This isn't me wishing Link "had a personality". He does. This is just me wondering what his personality would be like in different games if he was more verbal. Not wishing he would, just saying what if.
Link is known for being the silent hero, but what if he did have a voice? I thought of a few of them, feel free to agree/disagree with mine or make up one for another game!
Let's start with the best one, Twilight Princess:
Growing up in a small ranch town, Link is laid back and easygoing. Spending time with the kids has given him a preserved sense of childlike curiosity. He talks with a slight drawl, and is pleasant to spend time with.
(I realized this actually sounds like me lol)
Ocarina of Time:
Having grown up with the Kokiri, but never having fit in, plus Mido's bullying, has led to Young Link being very shy and withdrawn. When he does speak, it's quietly and uncertainly.
After sleeping for 7 years in the Temple of Time, his shyness stays but when he speaks it's with set resolve.

Majora's Mask:
After being sent back to live his childhood, Link has much more confidence to stand up to Mido and the Kokiri. In fact, he is a bit of a swaggering bully himself when he goes in search of Navi.

Wind Waker:
Link never stops asking questions. His voice is still childlike, but is beginning the descent into a man's deep voice.

There's more I might put in later, and depending on where the discussion goes.

Last edited:

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
OH BOY! I'M SO HUNGRY, I COULD EAT AN OCTOROCK!

This is the only Link voice as far as I'm concerned. No... there is another...

Well, EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME, Princess!

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
I would pay extra for the next Zelda game to have voice acting on par with the cartoon or CD-i games. I really would. I honestly cannot imagine Link as anything other than a cocky asshole or a total dumbass. There is no other option in my mind.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Nope, I prefer it to be the way it is. In WW he does talk. " COME ON!!" Not much but he does talk. To me it's fine not having him talk. It would take away the mysterious vibe around him plus imagine having a companion like Navi who talk for 5 people and then having Link talk. That would be stereo!

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Nope, I prefer it to be the way it is. In WW he does talk. " COME ON!!" Not much but he does talk. To me it's fine not having him talk. It would take away the mysterious vibe around him plus imagine having a companion like Navi who talk for 5 people and then having Link talk. That would be stereo!
Yeah, I'm not saying that he should talk, just saying that if he did, this is what he would be like.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
Warning: spoilers for BotW ahead.

I believe BotW Link has a serious voice on the outside. Zelda’s diary, it says, "With so much at stake, and so many eyes on him, he feels it necessary to stay strong and to silently bear any burden,”. He takes his duty to be Zelda’s personal guard and wielder of the Master sword very seriously. He seems cold at first, being silent to every single word you say. But inside, he is hurting, and unwilling to show it. When he does speak, his voice sounds quiet and a little unnatural, because he hasn’t spoken for so long. He must have a lot of time to think haha.

When he wakes up in the shrine of resurrection, he loses all his memories. He loses his duty he promised to himself to be silent throughout all his trials. He became like he was before he was appointed to be a knight; a young child. He talks to people openly and even funnily, always ready to crack jokes. His voice is louder than before. But as more and more memories return, he begins to be reserved. And when he reads Zelda’s Diary, he becomes completely silent. He remembers his duty to himself, and that’s why he doesn’t speak when he meets Zelda again.

He would simply make short and simple responses; the way he actually does talk, just with recorded lines.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
He should have dialogue, because silent Link does not work. It doesn't work when Link just kind of vacantly stares at everyone. I have no stake in him as a character, and he could be easily replaced by someone else without affecting the plot.

Archer

Whatever
Link being a silent protagonist seems pretty natural to the average veteran Zelda player. But of they ended that, just as long as his voice actor is NOT Vic Mignogna, I’m satisfied

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom