• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What if Link Had a Gun As a Weapon

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It would be interesting if the hookshot could do more then paralyze an enemy and instead caused damage sue to the sharp end going through them.

Well, that is also how Nintendo tones down violence. What you're saying makes complete sense: hookshots SHOULD deal damage to fleshy targets. But, that could possibly have bumped the rating up, which isn't exactly like Zelda to do - Nintendo made hookshot stun rather than damage enemies. So, we could have guns, realistic or not, but have the effects toned down so as to keep the rating at an E10 at the least.

geek4887

The Unknown
Well, if Nintendo would implement guns in our beloved series, then shouldn't they use it on a spin-off game of some sort as an experiment on whether or not it will be a success.

Fig

The Altruist
Kids these days think that only games with guns and blood with excellent graphics are the only good games. I find that untrue. Nintendo may suck at graphics when compared to Sony and Microsoft, but Nintendo didn't need that with Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. Sure graphics are important on how a game looks and Nintendo is steadily increasing those graphics. I rather spend my money on something that is famous for its concept, storyline, gameplay,etc. I'm pretty sure that Star Fox 64 3D has more content than Modern Warefare 3, since it's the same storyline but as a different character. But that is just my opinion.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
I see no problems with Link having a Gun.

But the gun should be medieval like, probably like a Musketeer like gun or a simple gun that can fire shots at a relative speed. If TP had a bazooka, then link can certainly have a gun.

You may say it's far too advanced in Zelda, I beg to differ that you are certainly wrong. Other items are far more advanced than the gun, and some TP items like The Spinner attribute to that. Spirit Tracks had the train too, and PH had a Steam Boat, with a Cannon. So a Gun would make more sense now. The proper timing where to put it is the key to make it fit with the right game. Making Toon Link hold a gun would be unethical *By american standards, or anyother standards for that matter* so it can't be done in those games. It could have been done in TP but that would had made Link Overkill. Even a simple crossbow would suffice.

Well, Toon Link is technically under the American age requirement to wield a gun, but seeing as how he's not american, or an earthling at all, it wouldn't be unethical. If he can man a cannon, he can wield a gun.

Djinn

and Tonic
I do not see what the problem with having a gun when there have been so many other examples of superior technology in the games. I think the hookshoot and clawshot are much more advanced than many modern small arms. Plus we have the many technologically advanced dungeons such as the Temple of Time. If they have classic grenades then the world of Hyrule is firmly in the age of the gun. I suppose Hyrule being a very high magic setting there could be arguments that guns are not developed or not as reliable as magical devices they already have. Especially when fire and ice arrows can just be given out to people for regular use. There is no real need to develop a small firearm when one can grant the ability to make fire arrows to someone so easily. Most of the time technological innovation comes from a need, or at least it spreads due to that need. It appers that Hyrule doe not have any real need for one so they do not appear alongside trains, bombs, sky canons, etc.

Now in many fantasy setting I am a huge fan of magitech. It is rarely seen in the Zelda series but has appeared many times throughout the Final Fantasy series. I would rather it not go to ridiculous things like giant mechs powered by magical energies, but simpler things like automated rooms and clockwork devices powered by magic I would have no problem with at all.

The only thing I see that might develop into a problem is that when most of these sword and sorcery games that include firearms, they are incredibly weak. Normally much much lower in overall damage than every bladed or melee weapon that game has. In many occasions a machine gun just cannot even compare to the level of might a hero with a trusty sword can dish out. (apparently video game developers know little to nothing of ballistics, they just think a small piece of lead is weaker than an arrow or a steel sword)
Gunners have very high Accuracy, rarely missing their targets. The downside is that Gunners do not deal as much damage as other Jobs,
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Gunner
So seeing many of the suggestions giveen here for something very low tech like a flintlock or matchlock with the disturbingly low rate of fire, it would possibly be the most useless item in the game. It might become another slingshot, only with a cooldown wait period before refire. Thinking about that, I would rather have another spinner take up space in an inventory, at least those can be fun alongside being useless for combat.

What I would have an issue with is almost any weapon replacing the sword as Link's main weapon. This would go beyond guns for me, a gun within the game I would not care about. But a gun replacing the Master sword or any other main sword as the premiere weapon Link uses I would not like at all. Things like axes, spears, etc, would not cut it for me. However I do not think that this is the topis of discussion, and even so I believe most people might hold the same opinion.

Djinn

and Tonic
Nah, Maybe a canon? Wouldn't be much different, and Link could use iot

We have already seen those a few times in the past. Starting out with the canon Link used in WW, to the smaller gunboats you had to fight out on the Great Sea. And again later with the sky canon in TP.

So canons are definitely not a new development in Hyrule at all. It is finding a method of implementing them that is a challenge. They would need to be mounted on a fixed position like a castle wall or on a large vehicle like a boat. I cannot see Link dragging a Napoleonic era field gun around.

C

chicken storm

I do like the idea of a mini-boss weilding guns, but using a gun would kind of take some of the fun out of Zelda. Like people said, it would take out the Zelda feel. Cannons would be nice or like many people have said, they could use crossbows. But if they wanted to make Link weild guns, I think they should use a cannon or have Link use a crossbow. Using the crossbow, you'd still have to aim it and you'd be able to zoom in and shoot except without the scope.

Sure, just as soon as they bring in water parks, boxers with hearts and TV remotes...
Wait, that happened in something I want to forget.

But joking aside, the closest we might get to a gun is a crossbow in my opinion. Part of what goes into the inventory of Zelda is both weapons that seem likely to be used in medieval times like the bow or hammer or magical weapons like the rod or the ocarina.

MidnaOfTheTwili

Link x Zelda
The day Link uses a gun is the day I stop playing Zelda.

Agreed. I am so tired of fans constantly saying that a futuristic Zelda with guns would be cool. I'd like to know how, because it seems so impractical. The game has used swords, shields, arrows, etc. since the beginning. It has always taken place in a somewhat medieval fantasy world. Games like COD are terrible and they have things such as weapons. Zelda's genre does not mix with those things, and so, the series would collapse if it got such a drastic and unneeded change such as that.

using a gun would kind of take some of the fun out of Zelda. Like people said, it would take out the Zelda feel.

if link had a gun as a weapon, it wouldn't be much of a game. games today seem a little too modernized, and i think zelda stays with the fantasy theme by keeping swords, sheilds, and arrows in the games.

Exactly. If Zelda modernized so much as Link would use a gun, I would never touch another Zelda game again. It just wouldn't be Zelda anymore. That would be stupid.

Besides, it takes away from the adventure. Getting cool new items would be pointless because he could kill anything or anyone with a gun. It would be disappointing.

I hope the Legend of Zelda NEVER uses guns. Ever.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Did you not read Hanyou's and ATB's posts? Or any of the pro/neutral-gun posts? This is Nintendo we're talking about - they made Zelda games far and wide. If they implemented a gun, I heavily doubt they would make it the end all be all key to the game. All games have balancing issues, yes, but Zelda suffers far less from that than others. Guns + Zelda still equals Zelda, believe me.

Also, we have trains and steamboats. More modern than guns, I'd say.

you know what i think that they tryed to put guns in it like i think they did not so they could keep it e for everyone and i mean bombs and cannon are like so close to guns so i think that they put bomb and cannon in for some action

probably been said before but

if link had a musket or something that took a while to reload and was really only useful mid-short distance it would be alright.
i mean anything more modern would almost ruin the feel,

and the gun should never be the main wepon, or really even be too useful more kinda like the slignshot, cool but once u have the bow and arrow to hell with it:P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom