• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What if Link Had a Gun As a Weapon

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Guns do seem more complex, and violent, in comparison to guns which is likely what ZH is trying to argue for. Having guns in a Zelda game theoretically would cause it to be more violent, which would then be able to compare Zelda to other games which are notorious - Call of Duty among others. Also, we've never had a gun (excluding cannons) in a Zelda game so far, why start now when we could still (ab)use the current features of 1:1 item usage [not saying there is such thing, but it could be possible in the Wii U]? Those could be ZH's arguments that he just didn't word correctly.

[Insert Axle and many other peoples' statements about change here]

Big Octo

=^)
Guns do seem more complex, and violent, in comparison to guns which is likely what ZH is trying to argue for. Having guns in a Zelda game theoretically would cause it to be more violent, which would then be able to compare Zelda to other games which are notorious - Call of Duty among others. Also, we've never had a gun (excluding cannons) in a Zelda game so far, why start now when we could still (ab)use the current features of 1:1 item usage [not saying there is such thing, but it could be possible in the Wii U]? Those could be ZH's arguments that he just didn't word correctly.

[Insert Axle and many other peoples' statements about change here]
Adding a gun to the game would make it no more violent then the sword. A gun would not force the developers to add blood and gore to the game, so if we saw something like a Moblin get shot in the stomach, it would be no worse if it was shot by an arrow. Also, it wouldn't affect 1:1 item usage, what's stopping enemies from having guns?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Truthfully, I dunno what's stopping at the very least enemies having guns. Though guns still are more violent and possibly even more random than a sword is in nature, you are correct that it doesn't necessitate gore or blood of any kind (TP got away with a bit of blood, but I didn't even notice it) though the reactions from being hit by the gunshot would have to be a bit realistic otherwise I don't see guns being put to justice in Zelda!

Can we please stop considering this as sword vs. gun? No one here is suggesting that Link's sword get replaced, merely that the addition of a gun into the game or world (as an item, as an enemy attack, etc.) would not damage the series. If anyone suggested to replace the sword and have a gun as the main weapon, I'd be against it to. But no one is arguing that!

Big Octo already covered this but... A gun's advantages over a bow are largely a matter of efficiency and the power with which the projectile is propelled. It does more damage (in real life), but it doesn't create any more or less horrific of an injury. A bullet is smooth and pierces, while an arrow is rough and slices, rips and tears, much like a sword does. And unlike a sword or a gun, arrows stick into their target. How about bombs? Burned tissue, bleeding, loss of flesh... a bomb is arguably far more violent. Or how about the Ball & Chain, which would cause horrific blunt trauma, including broken bones and organs and massive internal bleeding. Hell, to be completely honest, if you got hit by the Ball & Chain you'd be lucky if you didn't just break entirely.

There is nothing about a gun that adds more violence to the series than all, because the series doesn't have gore, and isn't going to be adding it. Nothing will change.

And I don't think many people are arguing that a gun NEEDS to be added. I'm not, anyway. I'm just saying that it would do no harm. As for "Why start now", it's simply because a gun is not a significant change. It's not really anything new, other than it being a new item. And the series is always adding new items. It's the equivalent of having the Skull Hammer in The Wind Waker. It does the same thing as the Hammer, just like the gun would do the same thing as the bow (or at least the same thing as the Slingshot in Skyward Sword), it just looks different.

Last edited:

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
I can't explain how I would feel, I mean, look at Spirit Tracks. I hate guns, but if they added A crossbow, which is similiar to a gun, powerful and two arms and a bit of precision, it could work.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I wasn't saying Sword OR Gun, I was just comparing the gun to the sword in terms of danger (a gun CAN backfire quite often, a sword is less likely to do that, for example)! The OP even said something along the lines of "What if we had a gun, not to replace the sword but in addition to"!

Hanyou, I think the reason why the people freak out is, well mainstay Nintendo/Zelda fans really don't know anything but Zelda. Any new ideas from 'outside' series such as Call of Duty or any other non Nintendo-made game will make them freak generally because A) they haven't played that non-Nintendo game or :cool: they read the rating label which read 'M', and kids aren't supposed to be playing M rated games by the rating's discretion.

CrazyforCuckoos

Purveyor of Cuckoos
No. Because it's just not Zelda. However if Zelda were to progress into the gun age, I could see the enemies using them, while Link tries to stay with tradition. I mean unless they did it very carefully and not cheesy like AC did, I wouldn't want guns. It's very iffy for me. I'd prefer a crossbow :D

Big Octo

=^)
No. Because it's just not Zelda. However if Zelda were to progress into the gun age, I could see the enemies using them, while Link tries to stay with tradition. I mean unless they did it very carefully and not cheesy like AC did, I wouldn't want guns. It's very iffy for me. I'd prefer a crossbow :D
Zelda has progressed to the gun age. Like Axle said, guns were made over 300 years before the first trains, which makes me wonder: are you thinking of modern guns or old guns. Generally, we're thinking of the old guns, which could totally work in Zelda.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Hanyou, I think the reason why the people freak out is, well mainstay Nintendo/Zelda fans really don't know anything but Zelda. Any new ideas from 'outside' series such as Call of Duty or any other non Nintendo-made game will make them freak generally because A) they haven't played that non-Nintendo game or :cool: they read the rating label which read 'M', and kids aren't supposed to be playing M rated games by the rating's discretion.

I'm not a fan of Call of Duty either (or almost any other damn FPS or TPS for that matter >.>) but CoD doesn't have a monopoly on guns, and guns wouldn't necessitate an M rating at all.

Oh, I'm not arguing with you, just saying I don't understand that perspective.

Tictalk

Anouki
That would make it drastically different from the other games. It would be like Links crossbow training. I think that that would be really lame. It wouldnt even be a zelda game anymore. Plus its set in midevil times.

Well, i think the problem here is that when we say the word "gun" everybody (me included) see modern guns we see in many fps and other games. But the "gun" could be crossbow that fires arrows, it could be a gun like donkey kong 64 that shoot coconuts (it would be deku nuts in thos case), or a pirate/filbuster (is this word correct?) gun (i think some people still wouldn't accept it though).
You have to think about those sort of "guns", and i think timmy was stating this sort of weapons. There is no way nintendo will ever include modern guns in a Zelda game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well, Zelda isn't necessarily medieval (more fantasy), though TP certailny does fit that bill. So, like I was saying constantly before, guns or at least elder ones would fit if we had a Twilight Princess graphical style for the realism. Otherwise I think that they would have a completely different design to them to the point of calling the item a gun would be contradicting the look and maybe even the purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom