• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What if Link Had a Gun As a Weapon

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
Absolutely not. Bad idea, really bad idea. To have a gun would mark the beginning of the end for Zelda, and it must never happen. Never. What would the have, a Master Gun, the only thing that can kill Ganon? I'm fine with the sword and the bow and arrow, thank you very much.

BakerGuy

Wielder of TheBakerSword
just the idea of having guns in zelda sickins me. Canons are ok because there are some things needed of it. like the snow mansion in TP. But other than cannons NO! If guns were in zelda then we wouldnt even need the bow and slingshot, which are some of my favorite weapons.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
If Link had a gun? Well first off it would take away the entire middle ages feel to the game, I also think that the bow and the slingshot is enough ranged weapons for one game. And it would bring away the sort of fairytale niceness when Link is running with a machine gun killing Moblins. I don't think Nintendo would even think about this but who would have thought bombs could be in a Middle ages type game but there it is in Zelda. A guess we just got to wait and see.

"The Master Gun is a sacred gun which evil can never touch. Only one worth the title of 'Hero of Time' can pull it from the Holster of Time" :)

No, but really, guns would take away the Zelda feel.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
The day Link uses a gun is the day I stop playing Zelda.

Agreed. I am so tired of fans constantly saying that a futuristic Zelda with guns would be cool. I'd like to know how, because it seems so impractical. The game has used swords, shields, arrows, etc. since the beginning. It has always taken place in a somewhat medieval fantasy world. Games like COD are terrible and they have things such as weapons. Zelda's genre does not mix with those things, and so, the series would collapse if it got such a drastic and unneeded change such as that.

Um, seriously? What Zelda feel would guns detract from, guys? Speaking in abstract terms isn't leading this discussion anywhere.

I agree to a point, in that Zelda is an adventure game, and a whimsical fantasy. It always has been, and there's no logical reason to change this at all. That's just wanting something that isn't an aspect of the series, and if that's what you want then you should look to other games (try Darksiders). So I agree that Zelda shouldn't implement elements that are contrary to adventure games, fantasy, or whimsy.

...That said, how exactly are guns contrary to these? Seriously, how many fantasy titles have guns? Think about how broadly the word "gun" applies. That's a huge number of specific weapons, gameplay concepts, and ideas. Are you really saying all of them would be majorly damaging to the series? That's borderline mathematically impossible.

If you're assuming that guns would mean Zelda becoming a first person shooter, then you're wrong. If you're thinking it would make things too easy or ruin the gameplay, then you're wrong, because Zelda has always had projectile weaponry. It won't ruin the fantasy element, and it doesn't need to become futuristic. Hell, it can even still be medieval and have guns, and the guns would work even better with steampunk elements like those in Twilight Princess or games outside of the Zelda series. It also doesn't diminish whimsy, as you could arguably inject more style, flair, and fantasticness to a firearm than you could to a bow and arrow, which is a grim weapon.

Seriously, fantasy weapons such as a spinner and the dominion rod will work, as to they are still fantasy-related, and magical. Guns? No, it will be too easy. I mean if they turned Zelda into a FPS, I would boycott Nintendo. I mean Sure, it worked out with Metroid, but Zelda isn't just the kind of series that can gain something GOOD from making Link use guns.
As I already stated, guns are in no way contrary to fantasy nor do they equal a first person shooter. It can't diminish the difficulty, because we've always had projectile weaponry. And it couldn't gain anything good? It wouldn't be any different than all the other kinds of items and settings we see in Zelda.

Maikeru

Piper of Time
Um, seriously? What Zelda feel would guns detract from, guys? Speaking in abstract terms isn't leading this discussion anywhere.

I agree to a point, in that Zelda is an adventure game, and a whimsical fantasy. It always has been, and there's no logical reason to change this at all. That's just wanting something that isn't an aspect of the series, and if that's what you want then you should look to other games (try Darksiders). So I agree that Zelda shouldn't implement elements that are contrary to adventure games, fantasy, or whimsy.

...That said, how exactly are guns contrary to these? Seriously, how many fantasy titles have guns? Think about how broadly the word "gun" applies. That's a huge number of specific weapons, gameplay concepts, and ideas. Are you really saying all of them would be majorly damaging to the series? That's borderline mathematically impossible.

If you're assuming that guns would mean Zelda becoming a first person shooter, then you're wrong. If you're thinking it would make things too easy or ruin the gameplay, then you're wrong, because Zelda has always had projectile weaponry. It won't ruin the fantasy element, and it doesn't need to become futuristic. Hell, it can even still be medieval and have guns, and the guns would work even better with steampunk elements like those in Twilight Princess or games outside of the Zelda series. It also doesn't diminish whimsy, as you could arguably inject more style, flair, and fantasticness to a firearm than you could to a bow and arrow, which is a grim weapon.

As I already stated, guns are in no way contrary to fantasy nor do they equal a first person shooter. It can't diminish the difficulty, because we've always had projectile weaponry. And it couldn't gain anything good? It wouldn't be any different than all the other kinds of items and settings we see in Zelda.

I actually agree with this. Though, if I had to choose between guns and bow and arrows, I would choose bow and arrows. Most of my dislike to Link having a gun is that many of the fans would probably dislike it. I think it could actually be cool. I played Darksiders for instance, and thought the Mercy was very well done. I think the main thing people don't like about it, is that they feel it is different from the "medieval origins" of Zelda. Though, we have had games in the past where they've deviated from the "medieval" feel, even if only partially.

I also agree that guns wouldn't detract from the adventure. As aforementioned, Darksiders did a fantastic job with the Mercy. That said, I think that if Miyamoto or Aonuma are going to consider putting in a mystical gun as a weapon, they should test it first. Maybe give it to a mini-boss, perhaps an old west cowboy in a Desert Temple. Even if fans didn't like that, I don't think it would ruin the series for them either. I know it definitely wouldn't ruin the series for me. In fact, I don't think there's anything they could do to ruin it for me, at least on a personal level. At least, as long as they keep the whimsical fantasy feeling. I could probably personally work with a game that goes away from the feel, but I'd prefer it not to.

I think the fact that people want to keep the traditional feel without moving too much toward the future, frightens Nintendo a bit. I do think they've done a good job of gradually progressing the series in a way that doesn't turn off the fans however.

So yeah, I agree, I think a gun could be an interesting item. I don't want to get like AK-47s or anything. I would be cool with a sort of mystical handgun or something similar. Though, as I said, if they want to try it, they might want to test it out with a mini-boss first. It seems like a pretty safe way to try it. We've seen cannons and stuff, and I'm not actually saying I WANT guns, but I would be cool with them. Basically, I would want to see it before judging it.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
What is with all the negativity relating to guns? If you say you will stop playing Zelda if they have guns, you obviously aren’t being very open mined. Contrary to what you all are probably thinking, guns a long time ago, were far slower to shoot than a bow and arrow. They had to clean it out, stick the gun powder in, do a whole bunch of steps just to fire another shot. It is actually more primitive than the bow and arrow in a way.

This is not outside the box for Zelda at all. If we had been asked what if Link drove a train, most people would think that would be far to advanced, and non-medieval for Zelda. As we have seen in Twilight Princess, they had canons. Guns, they kind I am talking about, are essential hand held canons, honestly it’s not that much of a leap in technology. Watch any older movie with guns in it, and you will probably see that they take forever to be used just once.

Nintendo would probably put some twist on it, some sort of magic or maybe it firing fruit or something. They might factor in some reload time, or they might just eliminate it and treat it as a sling shot. The bow and arrow is a staple in the Zelda inventory, I doubt a gun would replace something as traditional as the bow and arrow. However, it could just play cameo in a mini-game or a quick boss battle in which it becomes obsolete after wards, or could be used in later dungeons.

I can think of tons of way in which Nintendo could be creative with this weapon. A boss with a weak point that can only be hit with a gun, shooting a pattern in an area, buttons activated by it, some reflective material that could be shot in a puzzle. What I feel like comparing it too is the spinner. We never used it much outside of Arbiters Grounds, so I think that the gun would have a similar roll. Most likely a dungeon that revolves around in then a few puzzles here and there, maybe a mini-game for it as well, maybe a side quest. As I said before, infinite possibilities. I have no doubt in my mind that Nintendo wouldn’t be able to pull it off.

I think it would be pretty cool, as long as it was disigned correctly, and it wasn't called a gun, because that would turn many players off.

I'm confident that if Miyamoto made a Zelda game with a gun-like weapon it would still have the Zelda feel and there would be nothing to worry about because he'd do it right. I don't want them to try to do this for no reason, but if there's a reason, I'm sure they can make it work. The seed shooter is kind of gun-like, and it works just fine. Although I prefer the games to not be that modern, so I don't feel there's any need or reason to put a gun in any of the games.

Big Octo

=^)
A modern gun such as sub-machine gun or assault rifle? No. But how about the older guns, like the Blunderbuss or a Flintlock pistol? Now, don't get me wrong, those were REALLY old guns. In fact, these were introduced to the world long before trains were. Like Destiny said, they take a long time to reload, and are basically min-cannons. But in concept, these guns could prove interesting as a dungeon item to fight a boss with thick armor that an arrow can't penetrate, but a bullet could.

So, I could tell that when people responded to this, their first thoughts were modern weapons. But if you take a step back in time, this could be totally happen. I think it would be a cool addition as an item in a future Zelda title.

Austin

Austin
Those of you saying "it just isn't Zelda" are going to have to explain more. Zelda is a dynamic series, the possibility for change exists. I don't particularly care whether Link gets a gun or not, but I highly doubt it would be the end of Zelda. If it replaced the sword entirely, that'd make for quite a different game, but from the OP's post it sounds like he's just suggesting it as a side item, in which case I can't possibly imagine it ruining the series. It'd fit in better in a Zelda game with a more modern atmosphere, like Twilight Princess, but in all honestly I could imagine its presence in any Zelda game. As long as it's done right, and the gun's design doesn't clash with the atmosphere, I wouldn't mind. It'd be just another item.

Honestly, this irrational phobia of Zelda turning into an FPS needs to stop. There's no basis for it, and it might just end up hurting the franchise's capacity for change.

Conor

the over analysing guy
I'd be okay with it if it was like Roland of Gilead's revolvers, and like Austin said, if it fits in with the general atmosphere

Big Octo

=^)
How about some visual aids?
I'd like to see this:
English_flintlock_blunderbuss.jpeg

Not this:
M16A1_brimob.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom