• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What if BotW2 is just a 'rehash'?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Breath of the Wild 2 - a game that many people have many hopes for. Maybe we want to go beyond Hyrule to explore new lands, maybe we want the existing overworld to receive massive terraforming changes through an earthquake caused by the castle rising. Have a more substantial story. Have everything feel fresh, and new.

What if, though, the game is more or less the same as the first game... ? With the same overworld with pretty minimal changes, new shrines that are just more of the same, maybe more different aesthetically, but the overall adventure having the feel of 'same same but different' - we even might not get enough new story for the game to feel fresh.

Do you like BotW1 enough for this not to be much of an issue for you? Or would you consider it a massive disappointment?

Don't say such things! :kawaii:

As much as I really like BotW, I've already put about 600 hours into it and wouldn't like a game with only surface level changes that doesn't change the design or anything of the core experience.

If BotW2 is just a rehash, then it'd be a huge disappointment, despite how good BotW is, especially after the time they've already spent on developing it.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I agree with Spirit, I want something new, there’s so many places that you could use instead of reusing the same map and stuff.

There’s a whole ocean towards the east, they could do something like wind waker, sailing. There’s and gorge in the north, they could travel across that and explore. And they could just go underground, since the trailer show caves, there is a high chance that we will be exploring caves in the game.

And I liked the shrines, but I don’t want them in BotW2. It’s would be cooler if they had underground dungeons instead, make it way less than the shrine count, which is like 120 or something, maybe just make, 10 small dungeons like that. With different bosses too.

So, just don’t make it a rehash, that would really disappoint me

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Yea like the other 2 say above no rehash but i dont think i might get it at start...

MW7

I'd like it, but it would still be a disappointment. What I'm hoping for is more traditional dungeons and items. It's tougher to do that with an open world game, but some of the harder dungeons could still be locked out by items but there could be options. Like maybe one dungeon requires double clawshots or you could cross the same gap with a lot of stamina upgrades, and another dungeon requires pegasus boots or an invincibility item to get past a falling ceiling. I also really like items that are basically required for a first playthrough but can be skipped with knowledge like the Lens of Truth or Tunics in Ocarina of Time. Or maybe dungeon items are all magical abilities (like BOTW), but they all have more puzzle solving uses. A Link Between Worlds managed to have traditional dungeons with a relatively open world, and there are more ways to pull it off. ALBW had all useful things for dungeon items but none of them were required if I remember correctly.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would probably still purchase it, play it, and enjoy it but it would feel like such a missed opportunity. Wandering to further lands (or ocean) could make the sequel much more fun to explore but if they end up just rehashing the existing map I hope that they pack in enough new content such as secrets, dungeons, or anything to make exploring rewarding.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
While BotW is a great game, it is deeply flawed, and BotW 2 being the exact same might make it my new least favorite Zelda.

That’s a huge pet peeve of mine, when a series refuses to improve upon its predecessor and just makes more of the same.

In order for me to truly enjoy BotW 2 it needs to make an effort to be even better than BotW. I’m talking actual dungeons, more unique items, a story that actually matters, and collectibles that are actually enjoyable to collect. I’m still going to buy it (and most likely enjoy it) either way, but my opinion of it is going to be completely dependent on if it fixes the numerous issues the first game had or just lazily tries to make the same game because money.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
If it ended up only having minimal changes I'd be very disappointed, I'd prefer if this was the case that they'd simply add a DLC expansion to BotW rather than making a whole new game, because what you've suggested doesn't need to be an entire game in of itself.

it more or less seems that the land in the BOTW2 will be the same as in BOTW1, probably with some changes, but how much, enough to feel fresh? (1)

BOTW2 will normally have actual dungeons in it as far as we know, this contrary to BOTW1

BOTW1 was very obviously focused on the overworld as also effectively stated, what if BOTW2 was focused on the underworld or more correctly said dungeons, as the world would be the same, see (1)

all my previous text was actually nothing more then a premise for a question i like to mention, and that is

would that make BOTW1 (overworld) [DLC included] and BOTW2 (dungeons) [probably also DLC] actually only one whole game?

this is a question i had already for a longer time but never asked previously to prevent potential controversy but this thread somewhat plays into it so i thought why not

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
it more or less seems that the land in the BOTW2 will be the same as in BOTW1, probably with some changes, but how much, enough to feel fresh? (1)

BOTW2 will normally have actual dungeons in it as far as we know, this contrary to BOTW1

BOTW1 was very obviously focused on the overworld as also effectively stated, what if BOTW2 was focused on the underworld or more correctly said dungeons, as the world would be the same, see (1)

all my previous text was actually nothing more then a premise for a question i like to mention, and that is

would that make BOTW1 (overworld) [DLC included] and BOTW2 (dungeons) [probably also DLC] actually only one whole game?

this is a question i had already for a longer time but never asked previously to prevent potential controversy but this thread somewhat plays into it so i thought why not

I actually had an idea similar to this a while back.

you know how Zelda tends to have a running theme of exploring two different worlds (light and dark, past and future, surface and sky, etc)? What if we had a game where one world is your normal Zelda overworld, and the underworld is like a metroidvania style game? The items and abilities that you get in the underworld are helpful in the overworld, but only required in the underworld. I think thats an interesting concept and could even be a decent replacement for dungeons.

I actually had an idea similar to this a while back.

you know how Zelda tends to have a running theme of exploring two different worlds (light and dark, past and future, surface and sky, etc)? What if we had a game where one world is your normal Zelda overworld, and the underworld is like a metroidvania style game? The items and abilities that you get in the underworld are helpful in the overworld, but only required in the underworld. I think thats an interesting concept and could even be a decent replacement for dungeons.
i see indeed some similarities in your idea but also some real differences and because of that your perspective is a more positive one than mine i think

I honestly don't see that happening. Nintendo doesn't really tend to make their games like that. For the titles that immediately follow each other, they mostly try to shake things up and do a different thing than before. Just look at the first few Mario or Zelda games. Most of the time, when they rehash something, it's something they've resurrected.

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
I'm just gonna say that I have ABSOLUTE confidence in Nintendo with this. They have not fumbled a core series Zelda game ever, and when it's a core Zelda game AND they take their sweet-ass time making it? I have no doubt in my mind that it will be excellent. Even if it's a "rehash" with the same map, I expect sweeping mechanical and gameplay changes and an even more action-packed and entertaining world. I mean, Majoras Mask was made in a year using 95% of the same engine and assets as Ocarina, with a fair amount of rehash of mechanics and world pieces, and it was AWESOME.

So if BotW2 is to BotW what Majoras Mask is to OOT, it will be an amazing game worth having.

Honestly I say start with the entirely opened up map, updated 5 years. I'm looking for it to feel familiar to start the game. Then unlock a MacGuffin to move forward with the game. Get some Luminous/Time shift stones to power it. Take said item to the Temple of Time use the Temple to travel and each time the map change some. We meet the Zonai. We see the Great Sea. Travel back to get a Loftwing and find a sky temple in current Hyrule. See a period where the Great Plateau was actually Hyrule Castle. Maybe you can even hide things in the past and try to recover them in the future.

Temple of Time offers so many opportunities. Maybe even watch an old Link Gannon fight that you can't interfere with.

My real question though is what happened to the Bow of Light at the end of BOTW? At some point you're going to have to defeat Gannon/dorf, and Link technically has the biggest baddest weapons already at the end of BOTW. Time travel is really the only way around this if you have to go back and find something else beyond them, or heal Fi as over the millennium she's taken all that damage and can't stay at power.

All of that seems to be a way to avoid re-hash to me, and change the map while keeping it familiar to this version.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom