• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda What I Would Do To Make The CD-i Games Better

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
Hello Zelda Dungeoners. Today I will be talking about what I would do with the CD-i games.

Let's pretend that I was a person working at Nintendo when Philips came to me with the games. What would I do? Well I would play them all one time and say "Okay, here's what wrong and this is how it should be." So let's take a look at what I would do.

1. No voices from the characters. The only sounds would be the traditional "Oh", "Ah", "YEAH", "HEY", "Yo", "Ho", etc.
2. All those crappy cutscenes will be replace with actual cutscenes.
3. Only dialogue boxes.
4. No stupid puns like "take this shroud. It will scare the wraps of Gibdo".
5. No stupid topic sentence switching, like talking about the Gleook to Gibdo, or how the king might never return from Gamelon to "I wonder what's for dinner".
6. The controls would be different:
  • Control Pad Up: Enter Door\Jump (If not in from of a door)
  • Control Pad Down: Crouch
  • Control Pad Right: Move Right
  • Control Pad Left: Move Left
  • Button 1: Use Item
  • Button 2: Sword
  • Start: Pause Game\Open Subscreens To Equip Items
7. Better Ganon battle. Hit him 3 times, but it will be tough.
9. Epic Ganon death scene. Not this fly into a book crap
10. You don't play as Zelda. The king goes to Gamelon, Zelda follows, Link goes to save them both.
11. No stupid endings.
12. Fire all the people who thought of the original ideas.
13. Better Upgrade system.
14. You can actually see those invisible steps when trying to get out of a ditch.

This is what I would keep:
1. Zelda's Adventures live acting. It worked in Goosebumps: Escape From HorrorLand, it could work here with my revised version. God, I love that Goosebumps game. Having an interactive Zelda game like G:ESHL would be cool.

What do you guys think? Have anything to add? What would you do?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I have not played the CD-I games nor do I plan on doing however I have done enough research on them to actually have am opinion on the games themself. I feel there is room for possible innovation or a complete transformation on the games them myself.

Now I know most people will say "burn them" or "wipe them from existence" but think about it...Here you have 3 games which not only play differently but also explore a new story. Now correct me if I'm wrong but I know a lot of people want to see a big change in Zelda but are reluctant at the same time as it could be too big of a change. So how about a separate company under the direction of Nintendo get permission to completely remake the 3 CD-i games, obviously these games were poorly made but with a lot of polish and taking out the awful cut scenes it could possibly work. It would be interesting to see how these link in with the actual events in the Zelda timeline or maybe they don't have to fit into the story at all. This could be a possible experiment for Nintendo to take out without harming the franchise as a whole and maybe it will wipe the negative view most people associate with the CD-i games.

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
I have not played the CD-I games nor do I plan on doing however I have done enough research on them to actually have am opinion on the games themself. I feel there is room for possible innovation or a complete transformation on the games them myself.

Now I know most people will say "burn them" or "wipe them from existence" but think about it...Here you have 3 games which not only play differently but also explore a new story. Now correct me if I'm wrong but I know a lot of people want to see a big change in Zelda but are reluctant at the same time as it could be too big of a change. So how about a separate company under the direction of Nintendo get permission to completely remake the 3 CD-i games, obviously these games were poorly made but with a lot of polish and taking out the awful cut scenes it could possibly work. It would be interesting to see how these link in with the actual events in the Zelda timeline or maybe they don't have to fit into the story at all. This could be a possible experiment for Nintendo to take out without harming the franchise as a whole and maybe it will wipe the negative view most people associate with the CD-i games.

You've given me an idea. What if I took the games and re-edited them myself. Removing all those cutscenes and digitally inserting popular Zelda characters in the place of the CD-i characters. Re-editing the item names, and everything else. You're right about the change. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate-hate the CD-i games, and I don't like them either. I don't agree with the way Phillips advertised them. I'll try to do the same thing as ZethN64 is doing with his version of Ura Zelda. But me doing this project is up to you guys.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Burn the games. Burn everyone directly involved in their creation. coolguy, I appreciate and understand your attempts to get something good out of these games, but the horrors are too many. BURN!

Actually I would side with Ihateghirahim. I don't think the CD-i games should exist, not just because they are terrible but because of the entire circumstances of their creation. See when Nintendo and Phillips teamed up to make the CD-i, Nintendo had second thoughts and decided to drop out of it because they didn't want their name on the product. What they didn't realize is that when they signed the agreement to work with Phillips they signed away the right to use their creative licenses to Phillips. Nintendo had nothing to do with the creation of the CD-i games, in fact they tried to stop Phillips from using the series because they didn't want to ruin it's image. Phillips legally had the right to use the characters and continued to make not 1 but 3 games that Nintendo and the rest of the gaming community view as tarnishing the budding series. Nintendo had nothing to do with the games and I don't believe they could be improved. Better to just destroy them and save everyone the pain of playing. They are not considered Zelda games, are not canon, or acknowledged by Nintendo for a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom