• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Happened to the Gerudo Tribe?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
So I was thinking the other day about writing a theory on the Gerudo Tribe...

However I realised that even though the Gerudo Tribe played a major role in Ocarina of Time as Nabooru appeared as one of the 6 sages, the tribe as a whole in the grand scheme of the series have only showed up in three Zelda games.

How can such an important tribe during the era of when Ocarina of Time have such little appearances in other Zelda games? We all know that Ganondorf originated from the Gerudo Tribe however he is never seen with his counterparts in other Zelda games so we can only assume that he didn't have any real connection to the tribe other than in OoT.

So the real question is what happened to the Gerudo Tribe?

ZeldaTimeline3-e1350843289161.png

Now if we take a look at the timeline we can see that the Gerudo Tribe were present during "The Hero of Time Era" Now we don't see the Gerudo's appearing in any games prior to OoT or on the defeated/adult timelines. Am sure there is an explanation for why they didn't appear on the Adult Timeline as we all know that Hyrule was flooded and due to no appearance of any desert in TWW we can assume the inevitable.

However what happend to the tribe on the Defeated Timeline? It was assumed that Ganon took control of the sacred realm after defeating Link but how come we didn't see any trace of the tribe in A link to the Past? The Gerudo are known to have rather evil intentions so what with their leader gaining control over the sacred realm surely they would have been able to prosper...

Now if we look at the timeline again we see the rather controversial placement of LoZ 4 Swords Adventure's. Now this is the 3rd and most recent game to feature the Gerudo tribe and in this game they assume the rather contasting role of having a good reputation among Hyrule and they guard the entry to the Desert! Now why don't we see any trace of the Gerudo in Twilight Princess then?

Tell me your thoughts and possible ideas on why the Gerudo Tribe are seen very rarely in Zelda games, do you think they might have died out on the adult timeline? Why did they not appear on the Defeated Timeline and why did they appear in 4SA but not Twilight Princess? Have fun theorizing guys :)

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Perhaps the Gerudo left or were exiled from Hyrule for a time following Ganondorf's execution? Perhaps they retreated further into the desert, maybe into lands beyond?

Perhaps the Gerudo exist as the occupants of Kakariko's counterpart in the Dark World in ALttP, maybe as descendants? Or maybe the Gerudo simply died off? Given their amazonian nature, maybe they couldn't manage to bear enough children to sustain their numbers and disbanded?

For the Adult Timeline, people of Hyrule were scattered across the islands after the Great Flood, never truly united as one whole kingdom till Link and Tetra's voyage to the new lands. The Royal Family was reduced to a band of pirates, the Gorons are wandering merchants, and the closest thing to Castle Town is Windfall Island. Given this situation, it wouldn't surprise me if the Gerudo Tribe scattered after the flood and became wandering bands of pirates that we haven't encountered or assimilated Hylian people. Jolene from Phantom Hourglass has some hints of Gerudo ancestry based on racial traits and pirate career, but there is no confirmation of that.

For the Downfall Timeline, while it does seem strange that the Gerudo didn't flourish under this timeline, it's not surprising why. Some Gerudos like Nabooru opposed Ganondorf's intentions and Ganondorf didn't care about his tribe by the time he got the whole Triforce. He was perfectly content with an army of monsters that were once greedy men. So perhaps the Gerudos that side with Ganondorf became monsters and demons while those who side with Nabooru and the King of Hyrule were assimilated into Hylian culture or were destroyed in war.

For the Child Timeline, according to Hyrule Historia, after Ganondorf's death in Twilight Princess, the Gerudo Tribe re-established a more friendly relationship with the Royal Family and became more benevolent in response to their fallen King's actions. Presumably, the Royal Family charged on Ganondorf for treason and attempted execution severed all ties between the Hylians and Gerudos. Whether it was Gerudos being angry at the Hylians or the Hylians distrusting the Gerudos after Ganondorf's action is unclear. Whatever it is, the Gerudos isolated themselves from Hyrule and came back when their former king is dead.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
In Wind Waker Tetra mentions that the Forsaken Fortress was once the lair of a group of pirates. AFAIK we never actually see them. If I'm not mistaken, they're somehow gone or have left prior to the events of Link's adventure in Wind Waker (at least presumably), but Tetra may have been referring to Gerudo pirates or the descendants of the Gerudo thieves from Ocarina of Time. Perhaps they abandoned the Forsaken Fortress to make way for Ganon to occupy it?

I think that the Gerudo are scattered around the Dark World in ALTTP or flee from their king as he gets the triforce, fearing his new form.

A

Aynde

The first time I played The Wind Waker, I was actually under the assumption that the Rito were of Gerudo descent until I got to the scene with Medli and her Zora ancestor. Thinking on it, it's still something I think is possible. Not every change can be attributed to Valoo, and it would be two birds one stone - both races dying in the aftermath of the great flood and one solution to keep at least the future alive.

For the child timeline, I just figured that with the positive presence of a Gerudo Sage, relations became better. At first, they probably remained as keepers of the desert, of the prison, but as time went on more and more Gerudo became assimilated into the Hylian culture. What remained purely "Gerudo" were just lingering lookouts or people of old.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
In the Adult Timeline they almost certainly died in the flood. Any survivors would have been absorbed into the main Hylian population. Its also possible they sailed away to some undiscovered land, and maybe a future game in that timeline will show them return.

The Fallen Timeline is harder to speak about. Perhaps they were wiped out by Ganondorf after he claimed the Triforce? They likely would have opposed his plans to rule the world. I think the Gerudo would have gone own fighting. Its also possible they survived until later in the timeline. I suppose they could have been killed off later, or that they're still out there in the desert somewhere, waiting to be found.

Who knows? It is, however, not a bad thing to assume that there are some characters that appear in each timeline branch whose appearances might suggest [some] Gerudo ancestry. Two characters that come to mind are Telma (TP) and Jolene (PH).

Also, kudos to Castle. That's using your noggin... ;J

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
In Wind Waker Tetra mentions that the Forsaken Fortress was once the lair of a group of pirates. AFAIK we never actually see them. If I'm not mistaken, they're somehow gone or have left prior to the events of Link's adventure in Wind Waker (at least presumably), but Tetra may have been referring to Gerudo pirates or the descendants of the Gerudo thieves from Ocarina of Time. Perhaps they abandoned the Forsaken Fortress to make way for Ganon to occupy it?

I actually think it's quite plausible that the Gerudo's or there descendents are actually the pirates we saw in the Wind Waker. First of all we know that there was no desert in the Great Sea so the Gerudo tribe would have had to adapt somehow and I doubt such a intelligent and important tribe would suffer to this fate as all the other tribes survived in some fashion.

What makes me think that the Gerudo became pirates though was because in Majora's Mask, even though it was a parallel world it showed the Gerudos as pirates. So maybe it is so that they do have some sort of skill in this aspect, also one thing I have been thinking is that the early Gerudos were actually pirates, why? The lanayru desert was a vast ocean and maybe somewhere in the desert there is part of an ocean (not much evidence here I know). One last thing would be the characteristics of the two, the pirates seem to have quite bad intentions however they aren't full evil very much like the Gerudos and also the fact that both have a distinct tanned skin colour.

Last edited:

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
The Gerudo always struck me as survivalists. I mean, they survived just fine in Hyrule's most inhospitable region. In order to survive, you need to be highly adaptable. It is not inconceivable that the Gerudo could have learned seafaring as a means to survive, despite having lived as land-locked desert dwellers. These are a strong folk. Determined to live despite being shunned by the rest of the world and having to rely only on themselves. And they are well tempered - hardly adverse to hardship.

Like many things I wish this was something the games bothered to dwell on a bit further, and with much more detail, but like just about every other nondescript notion in the series, the exposition stops just short of being vaguely implied at best.

I know. I just wasn't thinking about that. It's happened before. I'll be thinking, "Oh, I'll write down the timeline." and i ALWAYS manage to put FSA in the failed timeline, even though I KNOW it takes place in the Child Timeline.

I don't think they died. Here's my theory. So in the child timeline technically Ganondorf was never defeated he was sent to be executed instead. This is technically from what I understand the Gerudo king hadn't done anything yet it was child Link telling Zelda what Ganondorf had planned to do. The Gerudo must have been pretty pissed at Hyrule for killing a technically innocent king in such a brutal way. They worshipped him like a god. In twilight princess they didn't appear probably because of the uproar. Then in four swords adventures they re-established their relationship with Hyrule.
In the Adult timeline is when you can see them cheering at Lon Lon ranch at the end probably because they witnessed the kings true evil I suppose, so I highly doubt they were made to drown in the events before wind waker. Most likely just dispersed into the great sea and found somewhere else to live. Or became pirates I think. Also Nabooru is one of the glass stained windows in wind waker so I can imagine that their race formed a good relationship.
In the fallen timeline I do think they kinda scattered and or died off, its clear at that point the only thing Ganon cared about it power not his people. He's been known to kill his own followers. Ganondorf is a **** king kids.
Sorry I went in too deep with this...

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I had a theory that maybe they where killed off, if I can find it I'll link it, but it had to do with them being cut off from Hyrule's water. The other theory was they where forced to work as slaves to make the Aribter Grounds.

http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/threads/were-do-the-gerudo-get-water.53137/
I didn't go in depth but here is where I touched on it.

On ZU I brought up the idea of the Gerudo being slaves.

http://zeldauniverse.net/forums/ind...ddess-of-the-Sand/?postID=5725898#post5725898

Forced to work for water they'd have to comply. Afterward they probably just dwindled off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom