• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Happened Rare?

Hey folks,

Most old fans should be able to recognise the name Rare or Rareware as they developed some great third party adventures on NintendoConsoles in the past, from the King of the Jungle's Spin-Off Game, Donkey Kong Country, to a foul mouthed squirrel, Conker, to a classic Bond Mulitplayer Game, 007 Goldeneye, to a Bear and Bird Duo, Banjo-Kazooie.

However, they were bought from Nintendo by Microsoft in 2001, but their games didn't suffer too badly for a while, I admit, I quite liked Kameo and Viva Piñata wasn't too bad. But then they decided to revive Banjo-Kazooie, which got a bunch of fans really excited... until they played it that is. A lot of fans were unpleasantly surprised with the change and how it was lacking the BK feel. Sure, it was a good game, but the vehicles didn't suit the BK franchise (IMO).

Then, a couple years later, Kinect Sports was released. To be honest it isn't that bad and is quite fun. But what really peeved me off is that fact that ever since Kinect Sports was announced, that's all Rare talk about on their website. What about other franchises, have they completely given up and just going for Kinect Sports? This has been like this for a few years and no new info has come out about other franchise.

What made Rare go from a high quality British video game developer to what they are now?

Leon Out ^_^

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
Microsoft made Rare go bad. That's what Microsoft does to all good gaming companies that they buy. I freaking love Goldeneye 007 for the N64, and comparing what Rare did with that to what they do today is like comparing God to the Devil. It's a longshot. When Rare was with Big N, Nintendo let them do whatever, fully knowing that they could produce a killer game without any hepl. When Microsoft bought Rare, they gave Rare strict and crappy guidelines that they had to follow, preventing them from making the great game they had planned. That's what happened to Rare.

Microsoft made Rare go bad. That's what Microsoft does to all good gaming companies that they buy. I freaking love Goldeneye 007 for the N64, and comparing what Rare did with that to what they do today is like comparing God to the Devil. It's a longshot. When Rare was with Big N, Nintendo let them do whatever, fully knowing that they could produce a killer game without any hepl. When Microsoft bought Rare, they gave Rare strict and crappy guidelines that they had to follow, preventing them from making the great game they had planned. That's what happened to Rare.

IKR
Also, have you seen their Facebook Page, every one of their posts have comment from angry fans telling them to go back to their roots for the past few years, and they haven't even taken any notice to those comment by replying or anything. It's like M$ want them to die or something :(

I consider Rare dead... at least dead as in it is not as good as it was. When Rare worked with Nintendo the games were great and I still play them even know. Rare made some of my favorite games as a kid. Now rare is no longer with Nintendo... and the games are quite disappointing. I miss the Rare of my childhood... but I doubt it will come back.

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
What Rare did well as a company simply did not fit with Microsoft.

In their golden age, Rare made great games such as Donkey Kong County, DK64, GoldenEye, Banjo-Kazooie, etc. Most of these games (which is to say all except 007) are very wacky and cartoonish and perfectly fit for the Nintendo image. Not to mention Nintendo probably contributed their innovative ideas to the company, making it better. But then Microsoft buys 100% of the company. They probably couldn't produce ideas like Nintendo, and great franchises like Donkey Kong and Star Fox were off limits. While they retained Conker and Banjo-Kazooie, they started slipping down a slope of bad luck and unsuccessful-ness. They have still yet recovered...

Its all pretty simple. After leaving Nintendo behind, the once-great Rare games hit a rough patch. It's not that they can't make good games, I just think Microsoft isn't feeding them the brain-food that Nintendo did. It could also be that they are just unlucky. Who knows? But I do know one thing: They are NOT going to reclaim their fame making kinect games... Poor Rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom