• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Genre Would You Most Like to See Zelda Do in a Spin-off?

First, know that I am not suggesting a permanent change for the Zelda series. If Zelda were ever to do a spin-off that received every bit as much love and attention as a main-series game, what genre would you prefer it dip into?

My top two preferences are the turn-based RPG and real-time strategy RPG in that order. The Legend of Zelda is already an action RPG, so the conversion to turn-based battles a la Final Fantasy or Paper Mario shouldn't be too difficult. I haven't thought the whole concept out completely, but there are all kinds of ways it could be different from other RPGs in general and still feel like Zelda. The same goes for real-time strategy, which should really capture the majesty and essence of a fantasy land.

So if Zelda were to do a spin-off with a different genre, what genre would you like to see most? Have any unique ideas that don't quite fit into a predetermined category?

EDIT: I meant to include a poll with this, but forget to make that distinction before posting the thread. Anyone know how I can attach a poll to this?

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
A turn-based battle seems like fun, though I wonder how that would work...
I can't really think of any other genres that would fit Zelda though.

I know we have smash Bros and that Link was in Soul Calibur 2 but I'd still like to see a 3D fighter made out of Zelda. If not that then i can see a turn based Zelda game working but only just, it'll be odd the see Link begin summoning monsters and walking around with a party of people but hey in TP we kind of did have the fellow adventurers thing so...

Or there is the alternative... LOKOMO KART!

I'd like to see a (first person) shooter Zelda game. Ranger mode in Link's Crossbow Training worked well and a gritty wild western like Fistful of Rupees wouldn't hurt either.

[video=youtube;6eHMLFX5T-M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eHMLFX5T-M[/video]

[video=youtube;UunpCv7kKHw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UunpCv7kKHw[/video]

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I made a thread about this a while back so am just gonna quote it here :)

As Zelda/Nintendo fans am pretty sure most of us are all fans of the Super Smash Bros series and i would like to see more Zelda characters in the game but sure it has to be balanced so i thought how about a Zelda spin off title or a an alternative game mode which would act as a Zelda fighting game.

Here's some of my ideas:
- Gameplay and combat would be similar to recent 3D Zelda titles*
- You will able to choose between Motion controls and Classic
- Variety of items from all the Zelda series
- A ranking system within the game
- As you rank higher you will be able to unlock a variety of items, upgrades in items and more powerful swords, shields etc.
- A Boss Battle mode with high scores*
- A large character roster spanning the entire series and as you advance through the game you unlock more*
- A separate game mode where you would be able to play as a Boss/Villain defeating the Hero
- Online compatibility and ranking system with leader boards and tournaments
- Stages from a variety of Zelda games from the likes of the peaceful Ordons village to Ganon's Tower

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I really do not prefer for Zelda to make a "spin-off" but instead do a main series entry regardless of the obvious shift in gameplay...

Putting all distinctions aside, the genre I'd most like to see Zelda go in, assuming it DOES to a genre-shift for even one game, would be Japanese Action-RPG. What I envision is the game would adopt all of the mechanics of Star Ocean: The Last Hope at the very least, although it could draw inspiration from games such as Ys Seven and the Kingdom Hearts series.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Fighting game would be nice, I guess. It would allow for some outrageous characters to pit it against each other.

(Not to mention people could shut up about putting rubbish in Super Smash Bros...)

Link-of-Lylat

It's me!
An RPG, paper to be exact. But it would have to be on WiiU, be like Thousand-Year Door but with a little more exploration, bring back partners and badges, and not a disappointment. (I'm looking at you, Sticker Star:wrong:)

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
Honestly I think it would be interesting to see a more RPG-ish Zelda with skill trees and what not....but that being said I'd want that as a main game and not necessarily a side game.

As for side games, I think it would be interesting to see a RTS Zelda. Being able to control massive hoards of Dekus or Moblins would be interesting. I'm not sure how well it would work, but I'd certainly like to see multiple classes that actually felt different. But then again I'm not a fan of RTS on consoles so.....unless it's on PC (which would never happen)....sadface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom