• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Generation Would You Like to have Been Born In?

J

JPowers83

it woulda been cool to have been born a generation before me. The music was way better back in the day and concert tickets were cheaper. The only bad things though is there were no computers (so no internet), no cellphones, no cable TV and videogames were extremely primitive.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
This one. Look, reminiscing about the past is nice an all. Indeed, professionally I spend most of my time in the 17th and 18th centuries, but "the good old days" is largely selective memory. This is especially true for women - you, as a gender, had virtually no rights before the 1850s and were largely considered nothing more than a cook and a baby maker until as late as 30 years ago. Living in any time before mechanization would have involved backbreaking labor from a very early age, and a particularly unpleasant death.

But my main reason for not wanting to go back: disease. We didn't even understand what germs were until the late 1800s. Plagues and famine killed millions, and were blamed on witches and the Jews. Doing demographic studies even in the early 1900s is depressing work.

Finally, consider this: It is estimated that a teenager with access to the internet absorbs more information in a single day as most people did before 1800 in their entire lives.

So if you're going to go back in time, get your shots and bring a gun.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I've contemplated the future... but it could end up like Orson Wells' The Time Machine where society's rapid progress as doomed civilization :S

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
Many people have told me that I should've been born in the 60's. For the longest time I was into the whole "peace/hippie" scene. You know, minus the drugs :P I just loved the tie dye pattern and peace signs.

Joy

The Sexy One
I'm pretty happy with where I am right now, but if I had to choose another period I'd choose to be born in the 40s, that way I'd be 20 in the 60s, and that sounds like fun!

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I'd love to experience the renaissance inmy 20's Italy.
Or being born in ancient egypt (1000BC)and becoming some bada pharaoh. :cool:

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
I'd like to be born in the 70's or 80's, where video games are just being made cool & everything was a nickel. Everything was so much more simple, or at least that's what I heard from my parents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom