• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What games do you wish you could play again for the first time?

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
To elaborate on the thread title, there are tons of games we've played, whether it was just once or multiple times. Throughout playing it, we experience so much of the game, from gameplay to story. Our reactions and feelings to it are very pure and strong in our first playthrough and we form a strong opinion on the game as a whole. But in subsequent playthroughs, no matter how much we loved or loathed it the first time, our experience changes, as we remember our first playthrough, and remember things we didn't know the first time, from any secrets we discovered to important plot points. And for those games we've played multiple times, we memorize every place, every secret, etc. We don't play through the game and react to it the same way we did during our first playthrough, where we knew nothing (or almost nothing) about the game.

But what if we were given the opportunity to forget all that? Forget every playthrough, forget every piece of information we've ever seen or heard about a game, forget how we reacted to the game at all. And then what if we were able to play it and experience it for the very first time again? Which games would you be interested in playing for the first time again, and why?

For me, I wanted to try and just take a top 5, as I definitely wouldn't mind playing through basically every game again for the first time, lol:
  • Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - I've played through this game dozens of times and still love it to bits today, but man, the idea of playing through it fresh for the first time in 19 years, not having every aspect of the game memorized, it's something I'd absolutely love to happen.
  • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Even though I've only played through it once and do want to replay it one day soon, I know that the my reaction to the world and game as a whole won't be as strong and breathtaking as it was the first time. I'd definitely love to re-experience how I felt playing through it for the first time again.
  • Skies of Arcadia: Legends - SoA has my favorite story of any video game ever, and as such, it'd just be incredible to replay the game and not have any knowledge of how the story will end up playing out and just get to experience and react to it naturally.
  • The Last of Us - Another game with a very strong story. Unlike SoA, I've only played through TLoU once, but I'd definitely love to experience the story again without knowing what will happen.
  • Mass Effect trilogy - The ending to Mass Effect 3 (and thus the trilogy as a whole) did leave me with a sour taste in my mouth, and has left me a bit hesitant to want to play through the trilogy again. So I'd definitely love to wipe my mind of that and go through the trilogy again without that knowledge in mind (even if it inevitably ends with, well, the ME3 ending).

I think some of the magic of playing a game for the first time is tied to where our lives were at the time. If I were to replay games for the first time now as opposed to when u originally did, I don't know if they'd have the same impact.

That being said, The Wind Waker, Nier Automata, Shadow of the Colossus, Metroid Prime and Luigi’s Mansion are games I'd love to play again for the first time, just to relive how amazing they felt to me at the time.

I'd probably go for Wind Waker, BoTW and Twilight Princess,
but most of all - Oneshot and Night in the Woods.

those 2 made me cryyyyy like crazy, and they convey emotion so well,,,
both gave me post-game depression tooo, like, damn.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
the thing about this question is that certain games can resonate w/ you b/c of the context of the time that you played it in, like my reaction to playing wind waker for the first time now as an adult would be way different than back in the timeframe that I did play it in, when I was young and it was my first zelda game, as opposed to now where I've already played darn near every other zelda game and super smash bros and all

so the games I'd wanna play again for the first time in the timeframe that I played them;

Metal Gear Solid 4 - never seen a game as story driven as this at the time and it was one of the first PS3 games I played, alongside GTA IV sometime around, so it was basically my first time experiencing the shift into the next generation
Xenoblade Chronicles - no surprise here, the gameplay just clicked w/ me and I was engrossed in the story the whole way
Pandora's Tower - specifically that scenario I was in where I was seconds away from having Elena turn into a monster as I was just barley beating this one boss, and the story cutscenes that followed, such a memorable moment
Super Mario Galaxy - at a time in my life where I was the most content, the summer just before 10th grade where it was just me and my dad, a timeframe I'd love to relive in general
Majora's Mask - during my zelda fanboy phase in early high school, I was initially off put by it but the more I played, the more I started to get it, I think out of all these games, this is the one where if I were to play it nowadays for the first time, I'd probably still love it just as much

- All of the Ace Attorney games: Getting to go back & solve them all, meet the characters, listen to the music. 100%

- Super Smash Bros Brawl: As much as I like the other games, being able to experience the Subspace Emissary again with the cast of playable characters would be brilliant.

- Breath of the Wild: Being able to look open the expansive world without knowing what was out there. Limitless possibilities. This game is outstanding. There's a reason it's getting a sequel & a prequel. I'd love to do it again from the beginning.

- Chrono Trigger: Only played this game last year & it's so good I already want to play it again for the first time. So much charm, so much polish, so much character. All time great!

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
breath of the wild, 100%. that thought has crossed my mind many times since my first playthrough of the game. there was just something about playing that game for the first time that left me in complete awe, and I’d love to experience that again

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Literally any Zelda game, especially BOTW. Working through the Zelda series is almost a sad feeling because I’m running out of exciting new adventures to be excited about embarking on.
Undertale is another one, just because I thought it was really cool.
Mario Galaxy, just because I’ve been trying laying those games for so long that I forgot what it felt like to start them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom