• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What games disappointed you when you finally got and played them?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
We've all most likely made a game purchase for a title that was either hyped up to be something amazing or something that caught your interest on its own. But for some of these kinds of games, the actual experience didn't live up to the hype or our own expectations for one reason or another, or were even straight up bad games. So what game(s) have been that way for you?

For me, I would say the most recent game purchase I've made that disappointed me was Animal Crossing: New Horizons. I love life sim games like Rune Factory or similar games, but Animal Crossing really gave me no incentive to keep playing. I never felt a good reason to keep building my island or get new villagers and there was no real progression (from my perspective) other than the actual improvements to the island's appearance.

Kirino

Tatakae
I loved Fire Emblem: Awakening and put more hours into it than almost any other game, so when I heard Fates was coming out, and seeing how similar it was, I was naturally very excited to play it. Unfortunately, it was missing most of what made me love Awakening: the story was cliché and nonsensical, the characters and support conversations were largely dull and one-note, and although the gameplay was generally fun, I didn't really care for the dominance of skills and the stat changes caused by weapons. So while I thought it was a decent game overall, I ended up being pretty disappointed given my expectations.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Bought Skyrim on the switch. I heard a lot of both sides; great game and critically acclaimed for a reason, but don't play it without mods and so on. I can't speak for the modded experience, but good lord was the game dull. Visually unappealing, boorish and stiff gameplay, fully lackluster storytelling; none of it grabbed me at all. I played through 75 hours worth and while I can't say I regret buying it at all, I have absolutely no desire to try the Elder Scrolls series again.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ocarina of flippin time, I grew up on the gamecube zeldas and bottom line, it felt like a watered down version of twilight princess, I warmed up to it over time but I felt that disappointment when I first played it

also skyward sword, not necessary for me to get into this, I'll just say it wasn't as good as twilight princess [damn, that's like my benchmark zelda game or something]

oh and mario & sonic at the olympic games, I was expecting a cool sports type spin off like I've always gotten when I picked up a mario sports game, what I got instead was one of my most despised games ever

Last edited:

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Skyward Sword.

Expected something more, and it just.... wasn't.

The biggest disappointment was Aliens: Colonial Marines. I will never pre-order another game because of that.

Awful AI, sh*tty inaccurate gunplay, and in general is just not a good game at all.

MW7

I never got as into Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze as much as I hoped I would. Donkey Kong Country 2 is still one of my favorite games of all time, and I greatly enjoyed DKC 1, 3 (3 is a little iffy as well but I enjoyed it), and Returns, but I still haven't managed to play through all of Tropical Freeze. I've tried multiple times to pick it back up but only get through a few levels at a time.

Majora's Mask 3d was not a major disappointment and I still love the game, but it is by far my least favorite of the Zelda remakes. There were the extremely great fixes made that improved the game (song of double time letting you go to specific times), but lots of unnecessary changes actually end up making it a little less enjoyable than the original game for me. Ocarina of Time 3d was less experimental in its changes (I still have some minor complaints), but I find myself playing it far more than Majora's Mask 3d and not just because of Master Quest.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Skyward Sword, but that's the easy answer.

1597341685069.png

Definitely Mass Effect Andromeda. As an on and off fan of Mass Effect, (on during 1 and 2, and super off during 3), I was tentatively looking forward to Andromeda. Unfortunately, it wasn't very good and Mass Effect has laid dormant ever since.

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Six hours in and I hope this gets better, but six hours is already too long for a game to pick up.

This is Final Fantasy VII, it took them twenty years for them to finally remake this game and so far... Oh dear.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
I think the one that really comes to mind for me is Bioshock. I heard a lot of great things about it, a whole bunch of hype surrounding it, but when I finally got to play it like 3-4 years after it came out, I was just super underwhelmed. Just felt like an average shooter that wasn't worth the hype, and once I beat it I never wanted to play it again.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
recently bought fall guys after it was hyped up to me by a friend and was pretty disappointed with it. it was an alright game despite that, just not what i expected.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I know it's supposed to be easy but LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean DS for being way too easy that I beat it in 2 hours. I need to get the Wii version cuz I know it would last longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom