• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What game/show would you like to try if it wasn’t for the fandom?

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Basically, what media (not necessarily just games) do you think sounds interesting, but the community around it turns you off? Whether they be toxic, immature, or anything else, what community has prevented you from experiencing the things that they love?

Undertale for sure. I feel so bad for Toby Fox. Imagine having your passion product turned into a fetish. He's said before how he actually couldn't handle the attention his game got, and had to plead people not to lewd his characters. They still did of course because they don't actually care about the creators. There's a lot of horror stories about how tumblrs literally harass creators because they didn't make whatever stupid kinnie **** of theirs, canon. LGBT fetishists latched onto one of my favorite characters in fiction and it literally destroyed me. I don't think I'll ever actually recover from it. Can't imagine what it's like to have it happen to characters that you actually designed.

I don't know how a game about morals has managed to end up with such a toxic Fanbase.
The same way the Hollow Knight fanbase ended up a hivemind, despite the game being about opposing the hivemind.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I can't think of any fandoms that turn me away from some media
I can think of a lot of fandoms that regularly produce better content than the media itself though

maybe homestuck
a lot of homestuck fans tout it as some lifechanging experience when it seems like it's just kinda a pseudointeractive webcomic

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
This is maybe stretching the subject a little bit, but there was a time where I really wanted to stream online shooters, but I was extremely wary of it due to the toxic twitch chat that often comes with it.

This is maybe stretching the subject a little bit, but there was a time where I really wanted to stream online shooters, but I was extremely wary of it due to the toxic twitch chat that often comes with it.
Oh, I completely understand. It's not just the online shooters, but certain gaming communities definitely attract people who only play the games to impress people, so they like expect that of other people. Tryhard progamer mentality is so ****ing stupid. Gaming elitism in general just makes them look really insecure. There's a guy who latched onto one of my friends' streams because he can't impress actual hardcore people so he brags to people he deems "casuals" to feel good about himself. So... goddamn... insecure.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
any newly released anime

I don't let bad apples spoil what I wanna try. And if the fandom and the show are perceived as equally bad for me to turn my nose up, that usually has more to do with first impressions of the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom