• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Game(s) Are You Playing at the Moment?

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
So I've been playing Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: The Fafnir Knight on Expert/Story and I've just cleared the first strata boss. Just a random string of thoughts in the spoiler tag, but there are spoilers about the Classic version so... read at your own risk. Also it's really freaking long. Oops.

So I played the original Etrian Odyssey II back in the day and there are some stark differences between the two. Much like in Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl, the clinic was streamlined into the inn, so you can just revive and rest there. Which is a shame because they took out the Trama Center reference. (Derek Stiles made a cameo appearance, as did his nurse, Angie). However, they turned the old clinic into a... cafe. Now the game has you gathering ingredients to make dishes to help you in the labyrinth. What's more, Town Development has made a return from Etrian Mystery Dungeon! Now you have to manage not only your party's equipment, items and finances, but now revitalize High Lagaard with the en you make. Fortunately, getting funds isn't as hard since they added in an advertising mechanic. You tap on the district you want to advertise in, select one of the buildings and they'll give you a little blurb about what they like and what they don't.

If it's one major complaint I've had with the game so far, it comes from the boss. When I took on the Chimera in the original game, it did not take me over 30 turns to bring it down. More importantly, even with the proper set up, the only character that dealt high damage almost reliably for me was the Fafnir Knight (who would hit around the 60 mark, while dealing in the triple digits when transformed). Flavio was barely able to keep up, but a few well timed Force Boosts and some Freeze Oil helped out a bit. I went online to see what others thought and get an answer, and boy, were they answered; Expert mode gave bosses major HP boosts. Which would explain why it felt less like a boss fight and more like an endurance test. At least Hrothgar joined up as a guest. It freed up Bertrand to attack until he puttered out around turn 20. (Which was a nice plot twist, considering what the Classic mode has in store for him).

Actually, I have two complaints. Gathering still sucks. I was really, really hoping they would streamline it like they did in IV (where you only spent a single point based on what classes you chose and it would become a mastered skill), but once again, gathering skills are point sinks that run up to ten. If you want something nice from the Take, Mine and Chop spots, you gotta put in at three points in that specific skill. Well, here's to hoping that Etrian Odyssey V goes back to what IV did when it comes to gathering.

Also I love this music in this game. Blows the original right out the water.

Salem

SICK
I'm currently playing Final Fantasy VII. I haven't played in more than a decade and I never beat it, I'll try to finish it this time.

Haruhion

Hungry wolf
I have started another playthrough of the mother series. I'm almost done with earthbound 0, many people say its super difficult but I love it either way, even if the enemy encounter rate is kinda annoying.

700+ matches of Legacy of the Void beta in the last 2 months. That's a lot, while working, with 2 kids, and a wife.

Also preloading the Rainbow Six Siege beta.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
Yes!:mad: They're annoying little ****s and why are they always paired with Darknuts?

You can cure the Red Bubble effect by restarting your file, saving, visiting a Great Fairy, acquiring a Triforce fragment, using either types of Medicine, and finally touching a Blue Bubble. The normal type of Bubble could actually be cured by playing the Recorder.

I got mugged by an old geezer for 50 bucks.
Farore's Chosen, old men are dangerous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom