• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Game(s) Are You Playing at the Moment?

Octopath Traveler. I'll be playing this for a while. Even when i'm five levels above recommended i'm still getting destroyed by bosses and barely making it through standard monsters.

I'm also playing this and will never stop playing this and I cant wait for the Switch version;

Last edited:
Shining Resonance Refrain.
To be honest I was almost on board with this one. I could get over the cheap feeling combat and tacky musical weapons but the boring story and irritating as **** main character means this game stays where it belongs; on the store shelf.
I ended up getting this one. Was looking into Ys III and decided Shining Resonance looked more appealing. It reminds me a lot of Stella Glow--in both story and musical mechanics--but with a different gameplay format. I don't have much experience with real time rpgs, so I can't really speak on whether or not the gameplay is up to standard for the genre. But I agree with Spirit that the main character is annoying as hell. At least he can turn into a cool looking dragon so I think I can forgive him. Dragons is good.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
To be honest I was almost on board with this one. I could get over the cheap feeling combat and tacky musical weapons but the boring story and irritating as **** main character means this game stays where it belongs; on the store shelf.
Yeah, the story started out really slow so far and six hours in it feels like the game has already given me a full party lol. But apart from the fact that you can't break out of an attack animation by dodging, the combat isn't all that bad. Compared to Tales or Star Ocean, I think the gameplay is pretty even with them. I was afraid that I'd have to grind out in the field since some areas are gated, but the game resolved that nicely with dungeons. My biggest complain overall, however, is that I can't remap the attack buttons to match what I'm used to.
I ended up getting this one. Was looking into Ys III and decided Shining Resonance looked more appealing. It reminds me a lot of Stella Glow--in both story and musical mechanics--but with a different gameplay format. I don't have much experience with real time rpgs, so I can't really speak on whether or not the gameplay is up to standard for the genre. But I agree with Spirit that the main character is annoying as hell. At least he can turn into a cool looking dragon so I think I can forgive him. Dragons is good.
Yuma isn't even the best character to play as. I'm maining Kirika to inflict Break and play support from afar. She doesn't exactly deal the most damage, but she's at least useful for not dying in one hit from a boss; archers are my jam, anyway. But as a character Yuma will supposedly start out with insecurities and develop into a more confident person as the game progresses (since the side cast is supportive to a fault). This is somewhat common in Japanese story-telling, and it works well enough to a degree. Stella Glow did something similar I imagine?

Alto in Stella Glow irritated me because he was literally Kirito from Sword Art Online. In personality and appearance. He improved a little throughout the game, I guess, but Stella Glow would vaguely be classified as a harem game, so the male protagonist sort of gets all those dumb cliches thrown at him. Yuma I figure will wind up the same way since this game does seem to have the waifu mechanic™ but hopefully it's not too intrusive. A lot of the characters in the game that I've encountered so far remind me of characters from other games I've seen/played. Kirika especially feels so familiar to me. But it's mostly just to get me back into playing my Switch. Been mostly playing my 3DS on and off the past month or so, and I have my eye on a few Switch eShop exclusives, but I needed something tangible to get me back into playing. I also have an incredibly hard time spending money on the eShop, after making some regretful hasty purchases on the 3DS, so I need like at least 95% certainty I want a digital game before I buy. My eShop funds are a delicacy.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Octopath Traveler because my sister bought it and it seems fun

Wizard of Legend because it looked fun and coop is something I am interested in

Jumping between the Octopath demo (I'll buy it eventually but there are games higher on my list) and Celeste. Which is easily the best platformer I've ever laid eyes on, by the by. Bought it at launch and it just doesn't get old.

Shining Resonance Refrain, and it sucks.

The main character is a whiny emo and it's getting aggravating to listen to. Attacks go through the enemies occasionally. No "press button" prompts on text to tell you to advance it. Move on the field with the Left Stick, but Left Stick is useless in the Inventory screen and requires directional buttons. The game more or less steals something from every other RPG in existence, but doesn't do anything for itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom