• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Game Made You Quit a Franchise?

DKCR-the waggle controls, lack of team play, no kremlings, diddy being used as a booster, lack of variety in animal buddies. Retro took a massive dump on an excellent franchise. now if Nintendo brings back a DKC game with classic controls, team play, kremlings and animal buddies with all the quality, beauty and charm of the older ones I will throw my money at them

I just thought of another franchise I quit recently and that's Super Monkey Ball. I loved the first two games despite being very challenging, but like Sonic, Sega keeps messing the series up by dumbing down the later games in the series. The final straw for me was Super Monkey Ball 3D & it's all due to how simple the main mode was & how awful the controls were in the minigames. After that game, I'd never bothered with the franchise anymore.

I just thought of another franchise I quit recently and that's Super Monkey Ball. I loved the first two games despite being very challenging, but like Sonic, Sega keeps messing the series up by dumbing down the later games in the series. The final straw for me was Super Monkey Ball 3D & it's all due to how simple the main mode was & how awful the controls were in the minigames. After that game, I'd never bothered with the franchise anymore.

Then you've never played banana blitz, the stupid wii controls were either super sensitive or didn't register. sheer awfulness

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Sonic: Lost World is a good one. After Colors and Generations I had the vague hope that maybe Sonic was finally in the hands of people who knew what they were doing, and that we'd start getting Sonic games that were actually good and also realised there's more to Sonic than just 'GO REALLY FAST'; nope. Lost World blew and I'm not too excited by what I've seen of Sonic Boom. Unless Sonic Boom releases to absolute acclaim I've got no intention of touching it.

Lost World was the game that brought more to the table than "GO REALLY FAST", though. That's mostly what Colors & Generations had to offer, and while they were good games, they didn't really have much of a skill factor. Lost World hearkened back to the Genesis days where speed was a reward as opposed to the means to an end, and where platforming was the focus. Searching out the different paths and learning the quickest way through was one of the best parts of the old games, and Lost World was the first to have it since Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so why people complain about that when that's exactly what they were wanting is beyond me.

I'm not saying Lost World is perfect, because it's not. I'm just saying that it's the first truly proper sequel to the Genesis games.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Searching out the different paths and learning the quickest way through was one of the best parts of the old games, and Lost World was the first to have it since Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so why people complain about that when that's exactly what they were wanting is beyond me.

Lost Worlds was not what I wanted; I wanted a good game. I couldn't care less how close to the originals it was, the only thing I wanted was a good Sonic game and Colors and Generations delivered where Lost Worlds could not. It can bring back all that stuff from the Genesis games, sure, and I guess it did achieve that, but that does not inherently make it a good game and the achievement of bring back those old gameplay tropes are irrelevant if the game is not fun for the person playing it. Colors and Generations may not have been as close to the original Genesis games as Lost Worlds but they were both much better games in their own right than it was, in my opinion, and so the fact they were not close is absolutely irrelevant when it comes to the current discussion and why I brought up Sonic: Lost Worlds.

So regardless of it, as you put it, being "the first truly proper sequel to the Genesis games", that doesn't stop it from being a game I did not enjoy and a game that I consider not very good. Which, among with other reasons, is why I listed it in this thread.

Last edited:
Then you've never played banana blitz, the stupid wii controls were either super sensitive or didn't register. sheer awfulness

Oh yeah, this game. I still own it, but I highly doubt I'll play it again because of the awful controls. Step 'n Roll's even worse.

Lost Worlds was not what I wanted; I wanted a good game. I couldn't care less how close to the originals it was, the only thing I wanted was a good Sonic game and Colors and Generations delivered where Lost Worlds could not. It can bring back all that stuff from the Genesis games, sure, and I guess it did achieve that, but that does not inherently make it a good game and the achievement of bring back those old gameplay tropes are irrelevant if the game is not fun for the person playing it. Colors and Generations may not have been as close to the original Genesis games as Lost Worlds but they were both much better games in their own right than it was, in my opinion, and so the fact they were not close is absolutely irrelevant when it comes to the current discussion and why I brought up Sonic: Lost Worlds.

So regardless of it, as you put it, being "the first truly proper sequel to the Genesis games", that doesn't stop it from being a game I did not enjoy and a game that I consider not very good. Which, among with other reasons, is why I listed it in this thread.

Tbh, I think the Genesis throwbacks hurt the game even more. You can't just put nostalgia into a game hoping it'll sell. Also, I'd call Lost World a good game if the gameplay wasn't so frustrating. Generations is a much better game than Lost World ever was.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Sonic games before Lost World and after Sonic '06 have all been very repetitive and sloppy. After 3 games of dashing to the end and weak platforming, I don't quite understand the appeal to have it back when Lost World found a pretty decent balance and managed to make a pretty decent platformer. Sonic was never speed over platforming or platforming over speed, he struck a balance between the two, which made his games good in the Genesis and even Dreamcast days. So saying Lost World feels like a proper successor to the Genesis games isn't a testament to how nostalgic it's trying to be but to how good the game actually is. It's honestly the most misunderstood game in the franchise and it's a shame that many people refuse to see the quality in it because of their lack of patience to understand the game's controls. It's no harder to control than any other platformer and is actually more precise than most Sonic games. I guess Sonic is doomed to become a game for adrenaline junkies.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
It's honestly the most misunderstood game in the franchise and it's a shame that many people refuse to see the quality in it because of their lack of patience to understand the game's controls.

Reminds me of a certain title from another franchise that starts with a "Z".

I guess Sonic is doomed to become a game for adrenaline junkies.

More specifically, adrenaline junkies that don't want to have to get GOOD at a Sonic game in order to blast through at full speed.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Reminds me of a certain title from another franchise that starts with a "Z".

Skyward Sword was quite unconventional for the series, not just with its controls but its structure. So I can understand why some wouldn't necessarily like it as much, but I honestly don't understand what the issue with the motion controls were. They worked fine even if the combat wasn't as fleshed out as Twilight Princess but was surely made up for by being really fun to use. All I can honestly say is that people just suck at certain games.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Skyward Sword was quite unconventional for the series, not just with its controls but its structure. So I can understand why some wouldn't necessarily like it as much, but I honestly don't understand what the issue with the motion controls were. They worked fine even if the combat wasn't as fleshed out as Twilight Princess but was surely made up for by being really fun to use. All I can honestly say is that people just suck at certain games.

To be honest, I thought SS's combat was even more fleshed out than TP. The issue for me is the controls. I've been busy LPing and it had been 1 year and 8 months since I did SS. Going back, I finally saw how difficult the controls are. Having played it a second time, it's not so much of an issue because I'm more used to it. The controls aren't impossible, but it takes patience to really master them.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!

Considering how Twilight Princess' combat requires little-to-no skill and makes no use of the Hidden Skills whatsoever, I don't think it's very accurate to claim it's more fleshed-out. Pretty much every time I've played Skyward Sword (which I lost count of some time back), I've discovered at least one new method of approaching combat situations, whereas I discovered just about everything TP has to offer within the first couple playthroughs.

It's like going from DMC2 to DMC3, just on a smaller scale.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Considering how Twilight Princess' combat requires little-to-no skill and makes no use of the Hidden Skills whatsoever, I don't think it's very accurate to claim it's more fleshed-out. Pretty much every time I've played Skyward Sword (which I lost count of some time back), I've discovered at least one new method of approaching combat situations, whereas I discovered just about everything TP has to offer within the first couple playthroughs.

What do you mean makes no use of the hidden skills? It's called using them. I know when I play TP I take advantage of Link's moveset which is far greater than SS's. Just because you can beat the game by playing in the cheapest way possible doesn't mean it didn't have great combat variety. Skyward Sword's combat was slower and more limited due to motion controls. Even then, I know for a fact that SS also requires no skill as it is possible to beat the game by swinging like a maniac.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Even then, I know for a fact that SS also requires no skill as it is possible to beat the game by swinging like a maniac.
This is so wrong on so many levels. You won't beat SS by swinging like a maniac, in fact you won't get past the Forest Temple miniboss, let alone Tentalus.
TP, however, endorsed swinging like a maniac, allowing you to swing your sword even while running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom