• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Game Made You Quit a Franchise?

As the topic states, which game made you stop liking a franchise you once loved?

For me, it's Sonic Lost World. This is coming from a person who is always excited for a Sonic game every time there's a new one announced. However, by the time Sonic 06 came out, my interest in the series really started to get slim by that point, but I still stuck with the series even at that low point. When Sonic Lost World came out last year, this was the game that made me quit Sonic as a whole because I hate the new direction the series had ever since Sonic Colors. So what are the things that made Sonic Lost World bad for me to quit the franchise while Sonic 06 didn't? The frustrating gameplay, the terrible storyline, & the awful flanderizations for characters like Tails are the main reasons why I see the game as the killing point for me. Thanks to this game, it made me just want to stick with Sonic games I love the most while Sonic Lost World is on my pile for terrible Sonic games along with Sonic Labyrinth & Sonic 06. With the way Sonic Boom looks, I highly doubt I'll even touch the games & the TV show since I've lost interest in the series after playing Sonic Lost World.

Mido

Version 1
As the topic states, which game made you stop liking a franchise you once loved?

For me, it's Sonic Lost World. This is coming from a person who is always excited for a Sonic game every time there's a new one announced. However, by the time Sonic 06 came out, my interest in the series really started to get slim by that point, but I still stuck with the series even at that low point. When Sonic Lost World came out last year, this was the game that made me quit Sonic as a whole because I hate the new direction the series had ever since Sonic Colors. So what are the things that made Sonic Lost World bad for me to quit the franchise while Sonic 06 didn't? The frustrating gameplay, the terrible storyline, & the awful flanderizations for characters like Tails are the main reasons why I see the game as the killing point for me. Thanks to this game, it made me just want to stick with Sonic games I love the most while Sonic Lost World is on my pile for terrible Sonic games along with Sonic Labyrinth & Sonic 06. With the way Sonic Boom looks, I highly doubt I'll even touch the games & the TV show since I've lost interest in the series after playing Sonic Lost World.

I ended up skipping over Lost World, but from what I've heard, it had mixed reviews. It seemed promising at the time, since I think Sonic's new direction is tolerable, and with Generations being such a great game for me, I had to concede with the hype. I ultimately will keep a wary eye heading into Sonic Boom, since reviews seem so mixed on Sonic's new deck of cards.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Saints Row, but I was absolutely turned off at the time by the release of Saints Row: The Third. While the game released to mostly positive reviews, I just could not find myself getting invested in it. The gameplay seemed like a good time, as it usually is; but what mainly turned me off was the story. Saints Row hooked me in with is barring story on gang life, best exemplified by the first installment. The second game was my personally favorite, as it offered a mix of the gritty gang storyline with a variety of silly antics. I found this notion unique, and the gameplay of Saints Row II was an improvement over the first. The third installment of the series didn't seem to possess the 'gang story' element, and seemed to indulge in the more humorous and outrageous elements of the series. These elements are not necessarily bad, but they served as a turn off for me once the focus mainly shifted towards said elements of story and gameplay. I guess I can say that this is mainly a matter of personal choice. I've seen that the last two games do indeed have good gameplay, but the Saints Row in those two games I do not think hold up to the original two. A nice topic of discussion! :yes:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sonic: Lost World is a good one. After Colors and Generations I had the vague hope that maybe Sonic was finally in the hands of people who knew what they were doing, and that we'd start getting Sonic games that were actually good and also realised there's more to Sonic than just 'GO REALLY FAST'; nope. Lost World blew and I'm not too excited by what I've seen of Sonic Boom. Unless Sonic Boom releases to absolute acclaim I've got no intention of touching it.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 as well. I liked Call of Duty, I know it's popular for people on the Internet to hate it but it's a great game series and I always used to buy the new iterations. It was Modern Warfare 2 where I felt a little bored playing, just felt very samey and not an improvement at all. Got past that, got Black Ops, and had the same feeling while playing it but that game was rescued by the zombies mode. Which I still loved to this day! And then finally Modern Warfare 3 had the same feeling as MW2, I was just so bored of this now, and I stopped playing very soon after I've gotten it and haven't looked back since. It is worth saying, however, that Advanced Warfare looks really good and I'm at least keeping my eye on, not intending to buy it but not completely ignoring it like I did with Ghosts and BO2, but MW3 was definitely the straw that broke this camel's back. Formula just got stale for me.

Other than that, can't really think of any more. I've had breaks and get skeptical like everybody does, like when AC3 released to be not that good I was cautious about the up-coming AC4, but I eventually got it. Those 2 games I listed above are the only games where I thought "Bored now, don't care anymore!" I guess that's a little petulant and not like me, I'm quite forgiving when it comes to companies since I know what goes down in those huge corporations but hey, I'm not lost as a consumer! I just don't have my eyes on their franchise anymore.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Must have been Call of Duty: MW 2. I was on the way out at Call of Duty 3 anyway. Call of Duty 2 and 4 were IW's finest hour.

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
Heroes of Might & Magic. I own Heroes 1-5, but I refused to buy Heroes 6 because of DRM. And I think the same fate will meet recently announced Heroes 7.

If Heroes 6 will be available DRM-Free, then maybe I will buy it, but for now - no way.

Call of Duty: Black Ops made me finally quit the series.

Final Fantasy XIII almost made me quit Final Fantasy. If XV doesn't come close to meeting my expectations, that may be the last nail in the coffin.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Pokemon BW2. Awful incomplete story, no discernible ending... also life happened. Yeah, when I leave a series it almost always has more to do with me than the most recent game. For example I lost interest in Mario somewhere in-between Sunshine and Galaxy. Sunshine was a lot of fun, one of my favorite games. I tried Galaxy sometime after it was released (I think my sister bought it?) and it failed to keep me engaged. Not the game's fault - it's generally considered a very good game. My tastes just shifted. Mario Party is another good example. I started to have less and less friends willing to play casual multiplayer games with me.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Sonic Generations. I realise that sonic has gone down the crapper since 06, it's never resurfaced, but that was the last straw, it was so short and had loads of silly side missions
Pokémon Colosseum, absolutely amazing game but nothing has ever come out that even looks like it could surpass it.
Dark Souls. I loved it and have great memories of finishing that. I just can't face a sequel though, once in a lifetime for me I finish a game that frustrating.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Well, I thought the FIFA (soccer) series was all that until I played the first game to discover that for myself. Haha, I really didn't like it that I gave up on future games from the series. I've stuck to the Konami franchise since; much, much better soccer experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom