• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo What Franchises Do You Still Expect to Make Their Debut on the Switch?

The Switch is 5 years old today, and it has a lot of Nintendo's franchises represented on it from Zelda to Mario to Metroid to Kirby and with more to come, like Wii/Switch Sports, Advance Wars, and Mario Strikers. We've also seen some obscure revivals like Clubhouse Games and Famicom Detective Club.

Usually this late into a Nintendo console's lifespan, the company focuses on releasing sequels to franchises that already have installments on the system. We're seeing that as well, but it isn't stopping franchises that haven't appeared on the system from having their first installment in Year 6 of the Switch's life. So I'm optimistic we'll see some first time appearances still on Switch for certain franchises.

Star Fox is one franchise I still believe will make its debut on the Switch. Star Fox has never missed a generation since its inception on the SNES. Yes, there was Star Fox content in the Switch version of Starlink, but I don't think that will replace a proper installment.

Dr. Mario has been strangely missing from the Switch. Nintendo hasn't made all that many puzzle games on Switch, and the mobile Dr. Mario shut down, so this is a good time to focus solely on a Switch installment.

Given that the Switch will have a longer than usual life for a Nintendo system, and we're about to get our third Mario sports franchise in the form of Mario Strikers, I reckon we'll see at least one more afterwards. Mario Sluggers is a good bet, as we haven't seen that since the Wii days.

While there are some other franchises I'd love to see, especially Wario Land and Kid Icarus, I'm not holding out hopes for them.

So what franchises do you think have a realistic chance of still making their debut on the Switch?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I feel like Star Fox is a possibility as well as F-Zero. Platinum Games has already expressed interest in porting Zero to Switch, so if any Star Fox comes to Switch, that's most likely. Though a new entry entirely is within the realm of possibility.

F-Zero is less likely, if you ask me. I know fans are hoping for a new F-Zero game (and I'd honestly be happy to see it if only to see Nintendo acknowledge another dormant franchise), but I'd say that's even less likely than Star Fox getting a revival.

Kid Icarus would be a dream because of how much fun Uprising was, but I get the feeling that that was a one off situation. I don't think Nintendo actually cares much for that franchise.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Star Fox is one franchise I still believe will make its debut on the Switch. Star Fox has never missed a generation since its inception on the SNES. Yes, there was Star Fox content in the Switch version of Starlink, but I don't think that will replace a proper installment.
just to say, there's no star fox on wii, it really died down after the 2000s so it isn't as a consistent franchise as we would like

there's a lot I would love to see, but very few I realistically expect to see, like rhythm heaven and maybe sorta possibly a wario land? I also think pikmin 4 is in the cards still, even if really unlikely

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
If we really want to be technical, we still haven’t seen a new mainline Zelda game made specifically for the Switch’s hardware. Only remakes, spin-offs, and a game made for Wii U that they took so long on that it didn’t release until the switch did. Obviously we’re getting one later this year, but it’s still something I feel like mentioning.

Same with 2D Mario. The only 2D Mario game on switch is a port of a Wii U game (and Mario Maker 2 but that doesn’t count). It’d be nice to see a new one for switch that isn’t just another game in the “new” series.

just to say, there's no star fox on wii, it really died down after the 2000s so it isn't as a consistent franchise as we would like

there's a lot I would love to see, but very few I realistically expect to see, like rhythm heaven and maybe sorta possibly a wario land? I also think pikmin 4 is in the cards still, even if really unlikely

True, Star Fox wasn't on Wii, but there was still Star Fox Command on DS that generation.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
True, Star Fox wasn't on Wii, but there was still Star Fox Command on DS that generation.
fair enough, though its clear to see the insane droughts there is for the series since command, there was only 2 titles released during the whole 2010s, and one was just a remaster of 64 (and the other might as well have been)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom