• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler What Features Would a Definitive Version of Majora's Mask Have?

Most people will agree that Ocarina of Time 3D, The Wind Waker HD, and Twilight Princess HD are the best ways to experience these classic 3D Zelda games. But Majora's Mask 3D is much more divisive. So what features would a definitive version of this cult classic contain?

I think there should be a compromise between the saving of the original N64 version with the Song of Time being used for permanent saving and owl statues for quick saves and the laxer save any time additional option of the 3DS version by simply having a toggle between save preferences.

Bosses, Zora swimming, and ice arrows should be reverted to how they were on N64. The weak spots on bosses in the 3DS version make them too easy and Zora swimming was a lot better on N64. Fast swimming should not consume magic. Ice arrows should be able to freeze any water, not selected spots.

I think the changes to the Bomber's Notebook in Majora's Mask 3D are some of the best changes in the 3DS remake and should be in every subsequent remade version of Majora's Mask. It makes things a lot easier to manage.

So what are your thoughts on how to make a definitive version of Majora's Mask?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
From what I played of Majora's Mask 3D, I think the save system is perfect as it was in the remake. Anything more restrictive and I wouldn't want to return to the game at all. The time limit is stressful enough that a forgiving save system is appropriate, IMO.

For the other changes, I honestly can't speak to whether or not they should or shouldn't be changed/removed/etc. I do think that a definitive version of MM would benefit from doing what Star Fox 64 3D did though, and having a new mode as well as a classic mode, to appeal to both audiences. It's the same game either way, but having options makes the game more accessible to new players while pleasing fans of the original.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Idk if I'd say OoT 3D is the definitive version of Ocarina of Time. I think it adds some really good changes, but it also suffers from some bad differences between it and the original, although they are much more subtle than the changes in MM 3D. Namely, the censored versions of the Bottom of the Well and Shadow Temple, as well as the brighter lighting that ruins the atmosphere of certain scenes.

The biggest point against both is that they are trapped on the 3DS. I like the portability, but these games were designed to be played on a television and I'll always want that option. I think a definitive version of these titles should be on the Switch so it can be played on TV and on the go, remade in HD, fix the lighting and pointless censorship, keep the gameplay conveniences of the 3DS remakes, like easier saves in MM and the updates to the Bomber's Notebook. Fix the Zora swimming to be like the original, and just go back to the boss battles from the original – all the MM bosses don't need eyeball weak spots. I also hated the updated Twinmold battle with the Giant Mask.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I would say the quickest way to cater to both versions in a definitive version is to just have the option to play the "original" style or an "arranged" style w/ all the changes from the 3ds version, w/ some quality of life changes applying to both

it's probably not an ideal compromise as I know there's aspects from the 3ds one that people would want to have while keeping other aspects from the original, but this would be the easiest way to appeal to fans of both

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom