• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What, exactly, is a White Sword?

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
The name "White Sword" is used to represent holiness, or, in other words, a sword to vanquish evil. White is associated in a lot of cultures, including japanese culture, as symbol of good and purity

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Exactly. If there's a thing that doesn't change in this community even after more than a decade away, is that boredom leads to overreading stuff :p

Japanese people usually name their things in a way more literally than us westerners

But aesthetically White, when it comes to blades, makes me think of a clean/barely-used blade which still hasn't faced the issues of aging like staining/oxidation yet. It could also be a reference to the kind of material used in them. White metals usually refer to light gray colored metals and alloys like as silver, white gold, platinum, etc; which is fitting for some of those that are translated as Noble Sword in other languages right?

There's a bit of an overlapping there too as silver is usually seen as a purifying metal in folklore, so maybe it could be a bit of both.

This is what my first thought was, but stated better. Similar to my theory that the magic swords are attempts to replicate the Master Sword; white swords could simply be made of silver (or silver plated), in an attempt to make weapons that are better at dispatching demons.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
This is what my first thought was, but stated better. Similar to my theory that the magic swords are attempts to replicate the Master Sword; white swords could simply be made of silver (or silver plated), in an attempt to make weapons that are better at dispatching demons.
As a quick historical fact, gilded swords are a thing.

But, we have to remember that gilded swords weren't made from those metals. Those metals like gold, platinum, and silver don't make for very good materials for a sword for several reasons, but it really honestly boils down to them not being tough enough to withstand the stresses of combat, and because of how soft they are, they don't hold an edge particularly well.

The best material to use for a sword is a metal that can handle the stresses of combat, and holds an edge. In other words, it won't break, and remains sharp and pointy.

That's why all gilded swords are still made of good ol' fashioned steel, but then have a decorative layer of gold applied to them.

That's what you see on Maximilian's sword.

The Sword of Emperor Maximilian I | Sword-Site

It's almost certain that such swords weren't intended for actual combat. For one, they're too pretty to be used in combat, where a sword is going to get damaged from general use, and for two, because of this sword's excellent condition, it probably was never used in real combat.

This also applied to armor, as well.

Gilded armor | Suit of armor, Armor, Samurai gear

But, again, judging from the excellent condition, it definitely wasn't used in real combat.

The other thing to also remember, the only people who can afford to have their arms and armor gilded are almost certainly people with money. Those that have cash to throw around, and that's usually high nobles and royalty.

This doesn't discount anything stated in this thread, but to provide some historical basis for the discussion, because gilded swords were and are a thing, as are swords inlaid with gems, gold, and silver.

We like pretty things! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom