• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What DS Games Do You Recommend?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
The gold 3ds XL I have right now is actually my first in the DS line.The original DS never really interested me,even though there were a couple of games I knew I missed out on.So you know,that means I missed a good 10 years or so of DS games.But now having a 3ds means I also have access to the DS library,so what games do you recommend a new coming DS owner should have?and maybe throw in a couple 3ds titles while you're at it

and by the way,if it has Mario & Zelda in the name,I already plan on getting it

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Definitely check out the Pokemon titles, if you're into them, like Diamond/Pearl/Platinum or Heart Gold/Soul Silver. They're great. The Zeldas were good, PH and ST. New Super Mario Bros is fun. I personally didn't like Mario Kart DS, but that's just me. Mario Party DS is also a lot of fun. And as for 3DS games, most definitely get Paper Mario: Sticker Star, fabulous game. Mario Kart 7 was also really good, and obviously A Link Between Worlds, that game cannot be missed. But if I had to say like two main recommendations, cause I know you don't wanna go blowin your money away :P I'd say Pokemon, Gen IV specifically, V wasn't as good in my opinion, and Paper Mario. Of course, this is all just my opinion though, haha

Fig

The Altruist
copies and pastes a list off from the internet Check his DS library. Personally I found all these games to be quite enjoyable! ^^

• Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
  • Pokemon Platinum
  • Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
  • Pokemon Black/White
  • Pokemon Black 2/White 2
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team/Explorers of Time/Explorers of Darkness/Explorers of Sky
  • Pokemon Conquest
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • The Legend of Zela: Phantom Hourglass
  • The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
  • Mario Kart DS
  • Mario Party DS
  • Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
  • Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
  • Kirby Squeak Squad
  • Kirby Super Star Ultra
  • Kirby Mass Attack
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  • All Professor Layton games
  • Fire Emblem: Fire Dragon
  • Advance Wars: Dual Strike

These are just a few of the games that came to me while I was writing this listing. I'm very certain that others will help contribute to the list and may your DS collection ever grow! Good luck! ^^

DS games:

• Mario Kart DS
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Kirby Canvas Curse
  • Kirby Squeak Squad
  • Kirby Super Star Ultra
  • Kirby Mass Attack
  • Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
  • Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
  • Pokemon Black/White 1 & Pokemon Black/White 2
  • The World Ends With You
  • The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
  • Okamiden

3DS games:

• Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • Pokemon X/Y
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Super Mario 3D Land

These are most of my favorite DS/3DS games listed, but I think it'll give you an idea on which games you should get.

キラ

Yo!
I loved Mario Kart DS - it's my favorite Mario Kart. It has my favorite courses out of the whole series! Waluigi Pinball is my favorite course of all time! Although the online multiplayer is only 4 people, it's still really fun! It is the only Mario Kart game to let you have emblems, and I see a lot of people online who have made cool emblems! And there's 32 karts within the game, I think. There's a bulldozer kart! The game is just awesome. Get it please!

Super Mario 64 DS is also a great title - just like the N64 game but you now get to play as Luigi, Wario, and Yoshi!

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. The Pokemon games are always fun!

Metroid Prime Hunters is a very cool FPS game, and it has online multiplayer!

Final Fantasy III/IV. The remakes for the DS are amazing. They're in 3D now!

There are plenty of great 3DS games! Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Super Mario 3D World, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Mario Kart 7, and the new Bravely Default game is an amazing RPG - at least as far as I know from playing the demo!

Super Mario games and Zelda games are a given. :P Any Kirby games would also be a given.

999 for the DS is really good, if you're into visual novel/puzzle based games. The Dragon Quest remakes for the 3DS are also amazing, but if you're not into super old school turn-based RPGs, then those aren't the series for you. :P

For 3DS, Fire Emblem: Awakening is really awesome and it's really accessible, unlike other Fire Emblems in the past. Animal Crossing New Leaf is pretty awesome too, if chilling around town, collecting things, and catching fish and bugs is your thing. I plunked down 200 hours into that game so far, and it didn't feel like it.

If you like rhythm games and Final Fantasy music, Final Fantasy Theatrhythm is amazing.

If you like exploring and puzzles, Luigi's Mansion is pretty fun. It's not Zelda fun, but it's fun.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
For 3DS, above all else, I recommend Kid Icarus: Uprising. It's a hilarious game with awesome voice acting and characters. I only have three 3DS games, to be fair, but it's still my favorite. XD

For DS, all I can think of off the top of my head aside from Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks is Dragon Quest IX. I guess if you're not really into RPGs then it'll just be a boring experience for you, but for some reason, I really enjoyed that game. I've probably played it more than any other DS title. It's especially fun if you have friends with the game and you can go through the adventure together.

I don't have many obscure games, I'm afraid. All my DS games are from very recognizable franchises or developers.

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
Did somebody say obscure DS games?

I see Etrian Odyssey has been listed among the games recommended here. At its core, the series is a love letter to RPGs of old -- your adventure in the labyrinth with cardboard cut-out characters you mold, held together by a shoestring plot, with blisteringly difficult enemies and you draw your own maps. Get it if you feel adventurous.

I'm a little surprised that no one has recommended 999: Nine Doors, Nine Persons, Nine Hours. You need to pick this up. A great visual novel that doesn't hold back on its description of what's happening in-game. I also recommend picking up Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward for the 3DS. It falls in with 999, but can be played on its own without prior background knowledge of the previous game.

The Trauma Center games are awesome, and you should pick at least one of them up if your willing to shell out a little for it. I also highly recommend Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. Ghost Trick comes from the mind that brought us Ace Attorney, but instead of being in the courtroom, you help a character named Sissel investigate his own murder, and help to prevent others.

Monster Hunter tends to run in the niche genre, but has a rich online community. You can team up with other hunters, or solo the game on your own. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the 3DS and Wii U is an updated port of Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii, but has added quite a bit of new content.

Rune Factory used to be somewhat of an niche title, but ever since Rune Factory 4 appeared on Club Nintendo's Fan Favourites list for 2013, the series have been thrust into something of a mainstream light. That being said, I would recommend them. It's a bit of an unique experience -- Rune Factory mixes farming with RPG elements and light dungeon crawling.

Getting onto the mainstream topic a little further, if you plan on picking up Final Fantasy IV, might I suggest skipping over the DS version and go for the PSP version instead? Yeah, FFIV on the DS might have 3D and voice acting, but the PSP offers not only the original story, but an interlude story and a direct sequel called "The After Years," though it uses 2D based sprites. It all depends on your preference though. (And yes, I recommend getting this game either way because this game was amazing for its time.)

If I can think of any more lesser known games, I'll edit this post.

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
If you like puzzle games, then there's a game called "Meteos". I use to play it all the time, in fact, it's probably one the games I played the most on the system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom