• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What DS/3DS Games Should Be Ported to Switch?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Particularly for 3DS, it does not take much work at all to get them to HD. Most developers actually use High Quality Models and textures, and then down scales them for the 3DS. For example, when Ocarina of Time 3D is uprezzed via an emulator:

*Starts at 2:30
It looks pretty good, and this is just a fan emulator, just simply putting the game at 1080p. It won’t take much work at all to make these look good, especially considering that they have all of the assets ready to go, and are professionals.

Yeah, that looks fine and all but take Revelations for example, Capcom had to redo a lot of the textures and lighting so that it could look like a console game. And even then, the physics didn't feel quite right, now that you're moving the characters with an analog stick.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Yeah, that looks fine and all but take Revelations for example, Capcom had to redo a lot of the textures and lighting so that it could look like a console game. And even then, the physics didn't feel quite right, now that you're moving the characters with an analog stick.
They literally just took and uprezzed the textures, and lighting also, in modern gaming, is not hard to implement.

Let's take for example, Wind Waker HD. 3DS and GameCube have a very, very similar power level, so it is apt for discussion. Wind Waker HD only took 6 months, and it was a complete remake of the GC title.
http://www.gamesradar.com/zelda-wind-waker-hd-took-6-months-develop/

If you are looking for a real life example, particularly from Capcom, just take a look at Monster Hunter XX. Monster Hunter XX released in Japan on 3DS on March 2017. Then Capcom started porting it to Switch, to release in August. That is less than 6 months to port, market, produce, and ship the game, and it's clear that didn't take any resources away from Capcom's other titles, considering that Monster Hunter World is releasing this year.

These ports don't take much time, nor effort to really do. Modern development tools make it really easy to do this very thing.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
There are a few too many ports at the moment. If I had to see some though, I'd like them to be DS and not 3ds

I’d love for Phantom Hourglass and Spirit tracks to be remade, with better graphics and button controls instead of touch-screen.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I’d love for Phantom Hourglass and Spirit tracks to be remade, with better graphics and button controls instead of touch-screen.

If they had given us button controls, I would love it. But those games do have some split screen bits that would have to be reworked for the single-screen Switch though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom