• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda What Drives You to Play Zelda?

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
We all play Zelda for different reasons. Some of us play to experience the story. Some play to explore vast new worlds. Some play to seek treasure and get new items. Some play to fight fun monsters and tough bosses. So what drives you to play?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't think there's one single thing that keeps me playing Zelda games. I definitely love the exploration. I love exploring dungeons and the overworld and collecting everything I can. That's definitely a lot of fun. But I also really love the stories in Zelda games. I like seeing what leads to taking up such and adventure. And I like being the hero in these games. It's a lot of fun. Of course, it's also fun to beat up bad guys.

I think that what really brings it all together for me is the creativity. Not just of the dungeons and puzzles, but the worlds themselves and the people in them. The "hero saves the princess" is a cliche, but Zelda doesn't make it feel stale or cliche at all. There's just something really magical about Zelda games, and I think the creativity is a big part of what makes them so fun for me.

I love exploring, I cant wait to see the new stuff you can do with every new game and most of all I love having fun with my number one favorite franchise.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I have enjoyed Zelda since OOT. What drives me to play is that if I don't I might miss out on a great experience.
Personally I think Zelda had the perfect blend of gameplay and story. Finding out more about the characters and what comes next in the story keeps me going and pushing forward, whilst the journey itself is fun to embark on. The blend of character interaction, exploration, puzzles and combat means that the gameplay does not get monotonous, you are never just doing one thing like in allot of other games e.g shooting things, which can get repetitive after a few hours.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
The main thing that drives me to play Zelda are the storylines. I love the story and history of Hyrule...and I love discovering new things about it as I go through the games. Also, I love the exploration in the games, especially in WW with such a vast ocean and so many islands to discover.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
What drives me to play Zelda is something from the past. It's something that's elusive and hard to put in words. It's something that I almost never experience in games anymore, even though the Zelda series always manages to do it the best. So, what is it? To me, it's the feeling that you truelly lose yourself in the game. I was born in 1990, so my very first Zelda game (not my first Zelda experience) was Ocarina of Time. Back then we didn't have internet at our house, so everything I knew about the game came from magazines and advertisements. I was completely blank when I started playing the game.

I remember that it took me days to finally find the Kokiri Sword. I didn't speak or read any English and I had no clue where to go. But it didn't matter, because there was so much to explore and see. I'd seen the entire Lost Woods by the time I finally reached the Deku Tree. The Deku Tree took the little me quite some time to finish, but it was worth it. Then came what might be the gaming experience of a lifetime. The first time I set foot on Hyrule Field. It was magical. So much room, so much space, so much freedom. I could go everywhere I wanted to go. I felt small and humble. Wow, this game was huge. That is the very first time a game actually enchanted me. I lost myself in the game and the epic story. Now I realise how amazing it is to make someone totally addicted to the without even fully understanding the story. Ocarina of Time did it. It's hard to describe the feeling. It's like you are in some strange land yourself and are constantly exploring something new and exciting. This happened to me again with Majora's Mask, the masterpiece by Nintendo. Luckily, by then I could read some more English :P

What I want from Zelda games is something that they may never give me again. That feeling of being constantly amazed and exploring a vast new world where you know and recognise nothing. It's much harder to see the logic in games when you're younger, so it's also much harder to get the same feeling again. Makes me nostalgic describing this feeling. I refer to it as 'the Zelda feeling'. Games, other than Zelda, that came close where maybe Skyrim and The Last of Us from this generation and Banjo Kazooie/Tooie and Donkey Kong 64 from the 'old' generation. I still love Zelda games very much, and maybe it's unfair to compare new games with the old, but I never get this magical feeling again. Still, nothing brings me closer than a new Zelda game. Can't wait for Zelda Wii U!

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
All of it drives me to play it, The Legend of Zelda was the first action-adventure/puzzle solving game I ever played, I think it was the very first game ever with that genre. It was the basis for a lot of other games which took lots of elements from it, final fantasy for instance. Zelda games just have that charm that captivates and interests me for as long as I can remember.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
My car is what drives me to wherever it is I need to be in order to play Zelda.

Joking aside, I can't really think of anything in particular that makes me want to pick up a Zelda game and play it. I think it's mostly just because I love the series so much. Of course, that's difficult to say without first stating why I love to series, which would require a lot of writing and I don't feel like writing a lot right now.

Basically, I play Zelda games just because they're Zelda games. Zelda's my favourite series, and I feel like I need to experience every game that's thrown my way. I'm sure you all know what that's like. If there's a Zelda game I haven't played, whether I actually enjoy it much or not, I need to make sure I find a way to play it. Zelda is just Zelda, and that's why I play the games.

That was really poorly written and confusing I'm sorry. :/

27ジョーカーソン

LOVE AND PEACE
Partially the incredible sense of adventure i get. And the feeling that I am the hero was always really cool. I guess you could say this about any video game, but Zelda just really is like an escape for me, into a magic land where i can save the princess and explore this awesome place and get these awesome weapons and stuff. Plus i freaking love the boss battles

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
It's fun first and foremost. It provides a element of enjoyment and happiness that I don't get from a lot of other things. It's one of the places I go to calm myself when I'm upset or bored. It serves as almost an anchor for me in a world that is constantly changing. People will change, things are constantly moving about but one thing that remains constant will be my journey through the World of Hyrule.
I've also gained a lot of insights hidden within the games that I have been able to apply in real life. I never really realized how deep the Zelda games can be when you really look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom