• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask What Does 'alternative Dimension' Mean to YOU in Majora's Mask?

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I can't see a thread like this, so I thought I'd start one seeing as this keeps arising as an issue in other MM-related threads, so I thought it was high time one was started to address this.

Now obviously, according to canon, Majora's Mask happens in an 'alternative dimension' or 'alternate universe' on the child timeline. I am not disputing this because it is basically fact, however, what I am calling up for debate is what you think 'alternative dimension' means.

Some believe that it means it all happened in Link's head, like a dream or something along the lines LA or going through the wardrobe to Narnia.
Others believe that Skull Kid led Link through some kind of invisible boundary into a different dimension in the scientific sense.

Personally, I believe that 'alternative dimension' is kind of a poor explanation of Link wondering into a kind of weird neighbouring country to Hyrule or outpost place ruled by the King of Hyrule at a distance, like a colony. A lot of people disagree with this understandably, seeing as it is just a theory and all for fun. But my explanation for this is, other than when Link is knocked out by Skull Kid, there seems to be no canonical space in which for it to be a hallucination or whatever it is. But my explanation for this theory is that he is wandering through the Lost Woods looking for Navi and obviously, they're called that for a reason. The woods could mark the border into another country or whatever you want to call it. Link only knows the world shown on the map in OoT at this point, so he wouldn't be aware of this fact, and then bam, he's in Clock Town.

I basically take 'alternative dimension' with a pinch of salt regardless of what the HH might say because I'm prone to disappear with a few aspects of it. But then, I don't take the game serious enough to be like this is fact! It isn't. But that could be another thread in itself, and I'll leave that for another time maybe.

But until then, I just thought I'd ask, what is your interpretation of 'alternative dimension' in Majora's Mask?;)

Dan

To me it always meant a parallel world. That's how I always looked at ... or just an excuse for nintendo to recycle stuff. :I
I sort of hope there's more of these parallel words...hint...hint...Nintendo ;)

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
If it was a neighbouring land, or a Hyrule owned colony, it wouldn't be an alternate dimension or a parallel world at all. Nor would it be referred to as such. I understand the idea of twisting the words, but that's beyond the stretch -- it's like calling beer 'wine'. It's not, no matter what you try to use to justify calling it that.

You also seem to have forgotten the significant fall Link took at the beginning of the game when he entered the tree, before coming across the platforms suspended in darkness. He could well have knocked himself out, or it could be a tree the Skull Kid had fashioned into a connection to his home-world. And considering how the series treats dream lands (LA, PH), and how much seems to affect the real world (PH to ST), it's not unreasonable to consider dream-worlds to be alternate worlds of their own. It's not like the Universe doesn't use magic as a great shortcut answer already.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
It's come up many times before but Termina being a seperate 'country' to Hyrule simply makes no sense whatsoever and if it was all just in Link's mind then it wouldn't be called an 'alternate dimension'. I think when Nintendo say 'alternate dimension' they mean that Termina is literally a seperate dimension to the one in which Hyrule sits.

I believe that Termina resides in a dimension which is parallel to Hyrule's dimension. Like parallel lines, the two do not cross-over. The only connection between them seems to be the portal in the Lost Woods we see Link fall through. I won't pretend to know why that portal exists, why it is where it is or anything else related to it but the fact that it is there is absolute. Perhaps if we knew more on the origins of Termina, it would clear some of the mystery up.

But yeah, to me, 'alternate dimension' means Termina and Hyrule do not exist together. The only Hyrulians who know of Termina's existence are the scant few who have actually been there, and vice versa (although, it doesn't seem that any Terminians have ventured to Hyrule).

Last edited:

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I think it's literally a parallel world/universe. While Link was in the Lost Woods he somehow stumbled upon a kind of "Bermuda Triangle" or sorts, throwing him into an alternate "Bizzaro" version of the world; similar to the Star Trek franchise's Mirror Universe.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Read M-theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

If you need clarification, read below.
Assume that each plate in this photo (LI+M+Theory.jpg) is a parallel world. Now, assuming that Universes are literally parallel, it would be effectively impossible to transverse them accidentally. However, if ripples are added in, universes may touch, creating a region that I shall call a "Bermuda Triangle". Now, in MM, Link is in an unexplored region of the Lost Woods. Anyone who has played OoT knows that the Lost Woods can warp you back to the entrance for no apparent reason. This indicates that Lost Woods had a greater chance of developing a Bermuda Triangle. Now, if there is a Bermuda Triangle in the Lost Woods, people probably disappeared into it, so the region would have been abandoned. Arrive at the time of MM, and Link is searching areas, explored and unexplored, an he happens across the Skull Kid (I think the Skull Kid accidentally found his way into Hyrule, and then lured Link into Termina). He falls into the Bermuda Triangle, and emerges in a Terminan equivalent of the Lost Woods. The rest is history.

Last edited:

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think it's literally a parallel world/universe. While Link was in the Lost Woods he somehow stumbled upon a kind of "Bermuda Triangle" or sorts, throwing him into an alternate "Bizzaro" version of the world; similar to the Star Trek franchise's Mirror Universe.

I like this analogy it makes things clearer :)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I do not think Termina is a neighbouring country. I think it is in a different dimension and is a parallel Hyrule. This is because many of the Hylians exist in Termina under different names. Kotake and Koume are actually rather nice in that game too, they certainly did not migrate and go good.

The world alternate dimension means it is this dimension only altered, it is a parallel world.
alternatedimensions.jpg

because dimensions start at they same time and never stop aging. it is our world. just different occurrences.and the only way the both lines can touch is with a perpendicular line which is the portal link crossed through.

Last edited:

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
The world alternate dimension means it is this dimension only altered, it is a parallel world.
alternatedimensions.jpg

because dimensions start at they same time and never stop aging. it is our world. just different occurrences.and the only way the both lines can touch is with a perpendicular line which is the portal link crossed through.

Well, A more accurate image (in my opinion, feel free to disagree on this) is this one

scaled.php

It shows the ripples, it can be hard to see on three dimensions (heck, this is in one dimension, and I'd need a video to show 2D), but the ripples are in the fourth dimension, again, this can be hard to grasp, so just understand the image above

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Okay I don't really think you guys understood the question
I was asking if you take parallel literally, not what it means...

Yes, quite the deviation indeed.

To me parallel universe in Zelda means the same as modern science sees the theory of the multiverse, which is like in my drawing, or like in bspurka's, whichever you prefer

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
I have to say i dont at all see it a neighboring counrty/kingdom, because it has charecters with the same name as Hyrule and has similer areas, know i always favored the idea that Link created the land in his mind, mostly because it explains why its so dark, because Link is dealing with inner turmoil, also because all the charecters are charecters Link has already seen and that he could easily use in his mind, that it is an alternate dimension is a good thought as they could all be alternate versions of themselves, but that makes me wonder weres the alternate Zelda, the alternate king, and why theres hyrulian marks all over an alternate dimension, and it would make sense that those are just patterns from Links past.

the two dimensions run parallel, two lines that never interconnect. however, the portal anchors itself in both of these, successfully connecting the two worlds, thus forming this 'Bermuda Triforce' of sorts.

I have to say i dont at all see it a neighboring counrty/kingdom, because it has charecters with the same name as Hyrule and has similer areas, know i always favored the idea that Link created the land in his mind, mostly because it explains why its so dark, because Link is dealing with inner turmoil, also because all the charecters are charecters Link has already seen and that he could easily use in his mind, that it is an alternate dimension is a good thought as they could all be alternate versions of themselves, but that makes me wonder weres the alternate Zelda, the alternate king, and why theres hyrulian marks all over an alternate dimension, and it would make sense that those are just patterns from Links past.

Who's Kafei supposed to be? Also, where does he come up with the whole Majora's Mask tale? And what unholy being made him think up Tingle!? And I'd think Zelda would have a big enough role in life to be in his mind world, along with all his childhood kokiri friends. And if it's based off of his darker thoughts, I'd think his greatest enemy might feature in it slightly. where did he get Pamela, the King of Ikana, the Garo, the Gilded Sword, the songs, the idea deku's can shoot bubbles, all the masks, THEM, Powder Kegs, The Feirce Deity... the list goes on and on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom