• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Do Your Parents Think of Gaming?

atompike

On my Zeldathon Quest
I no longer live with my parents so thank god I don't have to care anymore.

My parents are really OLD. I doubt they even know what video games are (just kidding). lol Well, both my parents like old games like Centipede and Tetris, but that's about it. They've never really reprimanded me or anything for my old video game habits, which included days of no sleep, skipping school, and avoiding family gatherings. lol At any rate, I'm an adult now and I have not lived with my parents for quite some time, so they really have no say when it comes to my video game habits. If anything, they'd likely just offer me a bit of advice if I ever became too engrossed in the video game world...

Last edited by a moderator:

Makar

I am the wannabe Kokiri!
For all my Dad knows the Wii is a white filing cabinet ; in other words, he doesn't care or have the slightest clue about gaming.

My mother on the other hand has a real passion for gaming ; we own three Wiis. One is mine, one is my mother's and one is my sister's, we all use it so much we can't share. While my sister lies in her bed playing Kirby's Epic Yarn (she's 19, she just likes that game), my mother is in her workshop playing either Wind Waker, Twilight Princess or Wii Fit >_> while I sit contented in my room playing Skyward Sword.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
My mother digs videogames to some extent. As a matter of fact, she taught me how to play Super Mario 64 back when I was 5 or 6. I remember when I came back from school she'd pick me up saying that she had gotten me a few stars, which was a huge relief since she usually did the ones I had problems with. That scenario kept changing as years went by, since she's grown away from it and I've been teaching her how to play new games more often than she teaches me. She still spends a fair amount of her time with a DSi playing Bejeweled Twist or Clubhouse Games and maybe Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks (funny thing is she did everything but beating Malladus) from time to time. She's currently slugging her way through Skyward Sword, which is turning out to be quite a punishment for her because she still has to get used to the waggle-proof enemies. You'd think by the time someone has reached Ancient Cistern they would have already gotten used to precision swinging, but well...

My dad is a whole different story from what I've seen, though. I've only ever seen him playing Snake on a cellphone. I guess it's worth mentioning that he looked into trying Wii Sports and Wii Fit, but those have stayed as un-fulfilled promises or long past possibilities ever since he got a treadmill running machine. After he went for the most expensive alternative, I gave up on him ever getting into gaming altogether.

Last edited:
my mom is ok with as long as i have decent grades (i make around all a's durn algebra) and if i behave plus she playes them with us she loves zelda usally what happens is she plays ss while we watch with zd walkthrough up (just in case) she plays pretty much any co-op or multiplayer if we ask most of the time we beat kirbys return to dreamland several days ago.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I've been gaming my entire life and my parents understand it's a huge part of me. I want to own a game studio and go to college to major in video game design and they've never been anything but supportive. My parents helped me start up my YouTube channel of Let's Plays and reviews, getting me the equipment and helping me with technical stuff and getting it running. I can talk to them about games and they act interested or whatever; my mom can speak Zelda and Mario and Pokemon pretty well! They get me stuff from GameStop and ThinkGeek for holidays and have never been anything but supportive!

They're okay with it as long as I do my homework. But when I don't....oh boy, hahaha.
Sometimes they will make remarks about being addicted as well (usually that comes after I've been playing for 3+ hours...). Same goes for the computer.
I mean, I get where they're coming from I suppose. I do have a fairly addictive personality, hehe. But hey, the way I see it, it's better than getting into drugs and alcohol like most other teens, so maybe it's a good thing.
Either way, I regret nothing :yes:.

O

Omniversal

My mom just watches it sometimes but my dad he really doesnt understand it
He think its a waste of time
Not to mention he plays almost constantly space invaders on the pc whenever he gets to it

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
my mum has no interest in it but she doesn't mind that i play. my Wii is in the living room so if i played all the time which would stop her from watching TV it would become an issue but i respect the fact it's her house too so i don't play if she wants to watch something

A

Averi

My dad introduced me to video games. That says a lot. He still takes active interest and we talk about the mythology of Zelda and Metroid all the time. They support and encourage video game playing - when I was shy in middle school, they even talked with me about making friends through the common interest of games. The same goes for my brother (10 years younger then me) today. My mom only likes games like Tetris and Pac-Man, but she's still the only person to have beaten Zelda II in its entirety in my house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom