• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What do you wish Zelda did more of?

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
dark horse is just the western publisher of the book. it was also released in japan @Hyrulian Hero

but they outsourced the timeline writing to someone unaffiliated with the games so its basically just any fan theory but licensed by nintendo in this case
I hadn't heard that they outsourced the timeline to a third party, can I get a reference? I'm not doubting you, I just like having resources for context. The scenario sounds like exactly the way things went down.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
in my mind, the adult one would be the "main" one just for the merits of events of oot happening in it's entirety

also we somehow tuned another thread into a timeline discussion
cause zelda started in the downfall timeline and oot is a prequel to that

SMS' triforce wish theory is a reasonable explanation for why it could be the case

wheel timeline is also a reasonable explanation

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
Honestly, the timeline is still wrong in the first place.

There should be a timeline split in Skyward Sword and, logically, some games along a timeline where Demise won and subjugated the world but would still be fell by another reincarnation of Link.

Because when you think about it, Skyward Sword has a definitive timeline split.

Pre-Lifeseed Tree and Post-Lifeseed Tree timelines.
There is a timeline that Link abandoned by accident when he went into the past to plant the Lifeseed tree to save Lanayru from his terminal illness.
And a timeline where the Lifeseed Tree grew in the The Sealed Temple (the timeline we have followed thus-far).

Because before you go back in time, Groose comments on how the spot for the Lifeseed tree is empty and would be a nice place to plant something like a garden.
Then when you come back, Groose in the post-lifeseed tree timeline will comment about how whenever he gets worried or anxious he goes to the tree to feel calm and ease his nerves.

So...
Now I want to see a Zelda game where Demise got what he wanted... somewhat.
He broke free of his imprisonment and consumed Zelda, still sealed in Amber, to regain his true form.
With his newfound might, he ravages the world and builds an accursed tower to reach to the sky and invade skyloft, causing the floating islands to plummet to the ground below.
And yet, he cannot find the Triforce.
So instead, he subjugates the races with his demon hoards.
Until Link is reincarnated once again and we have a game where we are fighting an intensely uphill struggle with a faction of rebels trying to change the balance of power.
Link discovers the Triforce and has to use it to finish what his past incarnation accidentally failed to do - destroy Demise!

EDIT -
I made an excel spreadsheet to show what this "canon" timeline SHOULD look like, based off of the timeline presented in The Legend of Zelda: Encyclopedia by Dark Horse Comics.

Reworked Timeline.jpg

Last edited:

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Yeeeaaaahhh...but I remember the days of timeline speculation before the canon timeline and the ridiculous three-pronged split. It would be one thing if they made a "what if" spinoff timeline split but they made it canon. We can say that "the split should have occurred in Skyward Sword or Minish Cap or Zelda Game Watch but the fact is that now, we may as well call poop-splash Link a canon timeline. If the water splashed up and hit Link in the bum, it's a brand new timeline!

And I'm down with poop-splash timeline. If Nintendo wants to make a bunch of spinoffs the presupposed varying histories, that's great, except that now you can't say that there's a defined timeline. Even the adult and child timeline split, we have Link playing the ocarina several times to complete the game, each of those ought to branch into new poop-splash timelines as well then. *sigh* I miss the days before the timeline shenanigans.

I wish Zelda did more disowning imaginary timelines. There's my thread contribution.

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
I think that logically a timeline split should happen when a mortal makes use of the Gate of Time and causes drastic change in the past to alter the present.

The Gate of Time has been used twice total so far in the franchise - Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time.
Ergo, the timeline splitting in Ocarina of Time as a result of the two simultaneous endings of the game (downfall timeline doesn't make sense with Ganondorf slaying Link, but rather makes sense with Link abandoning a timeline when completing the Spirit Temple as you have to enter the past once again in order to complete it. There were quite a few details that Dark Horse comics dun-goofed when making Hyrule Historia. Many of which were corrected with their second go in the Zelda Encyclopedia.)

But the fact that we see such a change happen in Skyward Sword, it implies that we have another Downfall timeline of sorts, since our alterations are made clear immediately when you plant the seed and return to the present.

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
Not... touching timeline discussions.

I miss things like the Tingle Tuner, but admittedly I have no idea how they'd do it today. I also sort of wish they'd bring back some "everywhere" goals like bug catching & fishing like Twilight Princess. A bit useless overall, but I enjoy taking a mental break from story things & goofing off; get a breather from main quest shenanigans. I enjoyed that a lot. BotW certainly has the exploration itch covered, but other than locations, shrines & food you're tripping over, I wish I had some other goals. That weren't Korok seeds...

I'm still surprised how little you can interact with the animals in BotW. For big things, I miss "real" dungeons & gear you'd get in them. The Sheikah Slate is neat & all, but I was a bit sad that you mostly get the entire functionality of it at the start of the game. I mean, I can get why they did it that way, but also I don't think it would have hurt to guide me in the direction of say- a bomb upgrade rune, then let me open up a ton of the world with that & being clever with my new bombs. Etc.

However, I'm going to also say fishing a second time, because I like fishing so much. Fishing with a rod, I'll say, since while a bomb is... very effective, it's not what I mean.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Honestly, the timeline is still wrong in the first place.

There should be a timeline split in Skyward Sword and, logically, some games along a timeline where Demise won and subjugated the world but would still be fell by another reincarnation of Link.

Because when you think about it, Skyward Sword has a definitive timeline split.

Pre-Lifeseed Tree and Post-Lifeseed Tree timelines.
There is a timeline that Link abandoned by accident when he went into the past to plant the Lifeseed tree to save Lanayru from his terminal illness.
And a timeline where the Lifeseed Tree grew in the The Sealed Temple (the timeline we have followed thus-far).

Because before you go back in time, Groose comments on how the spot for the Lifeseed tree is empty and would be a nice place to plant something like a garden.
Then when you come back, Groose in the post-lifeseed tree timeline will comment about how whenever he gets worried or anxious he goes to the tree to feel calm and ease his nerves.

So...
Now I want to see a Zelda game where Demise got what he wanted... somewhat.
He broke free of his imprisonment and consumed Zelda, still sealed in Amber, to regain his true form.
With his newfound might, he ravages the world and builds an accursed tower to reach to the sky and invade skyloft, causing the floating islands to plummet to the ground below.
And yet, he cannot find the Triforce.
So instead, he subjugates the races with his demon hoards.
Until Link is reincarnated once again and we have a game where we are fighting an intensely uphill struggle with a faction of rebels trying to change the balance of power.
Link discovers the Triforce and has to use it to finish what his past incarnation accidentally failed to do - destroy Demise!

EDIT -
I made an excel spreadsheet to show what this "canon" timeline SHOULD look like, based off of the timeline presented in The Legend of Zelda: Encyclopedia by Dark Horse Comics.

View attachment 67107
Oof. Convergence stinks of some contrivance to me. Feels like the narrative equivalent of pulling the rug out from underneath gamers' feet, especially in a series where chronology has never been anything more than an afterthought.

Last edited:

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I think that logically a timeline split should happen when a mortal makes use of the Gate of Time and causes drastic change in the past to alter the present.

The Gate of Time has been used twice total so far in the franchise - Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time.
Ergo, the timeline splitting in Ocarina of Time as a result of the two simultaneous endings of the game (downfall timeline doesn't make sense with Ganondorf slaying Link, but rather makes sense with Link abandoning a timeline when completing the Spirit Temple as you have to enter the past once again in order to complete it. There were quite a few details that Dark Horse comics dun-goofed when making Hyrule Historia. Many of which were corrected with their second go in the Zelda Encyclopedia.)

But the fact that we see such a change happen in Skyward Sword, it implies that we have another Downfall timeline of sorts, since our alterations are made clear immediately when you plant the seed and return to the present.
I was writing a response when I came across something. The Door of Time doesn't allow time travel. The Pedestal of Time doesn't allow time travel. The Ocarina of Time...well, it can turn night to day and vice versa and slow or speed time, and it can draw Link back three days...but that's not what aged Link seven years.

Link's spirit was sealed away for seven years. That's what we know. Opening the Door of Time didn't age Link, but it was the door to the Sacred Realm. Link's spirit is sealed away when he pulls the Master Sword but that's not necessary to enter the Sacred Realm (as evinced by Ganondorf not needing the Master Sword to enter the Sacred Realm). Link doesn't actually "travel through time" when he pulls the sword or replaces it, he merely enters or exits the Sacred Realm.

This is all very weird to finally put together after all these years but in reference to your post, I don't really think opening the Door of Time would cause a timeline split on its own. What would is every single time Linky uses the Harp of Ages. Enjoy the splintered timeline...

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Link's spirit was sealed away for seven years. That's what we know. Opening the Door of Time didn't age Link, but it was the door to the Sacred Realm. Link's spirit is sealed away when he pulls the Master Sword but that's not necessary to enter the Sacred Realm (as evinced by Ganondorf not needing the Master Sword to enter the Sacred Realm). Link doesn't actually "travel through time" when he pulls the sword or replaces it, he merely enters or exits the Sacred Realm.
That sounds like time travel with extra steps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom