• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What do you want Zelda Switch to do better than BotW?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I want the Nintendo Switch to make a part two for Majoras Mask. Like, what happens to link and the mask's. I think this would be awesome because a lot of people enjoy the Majoras Mask/ Ocarina of Time timeline.

I do agree with this mostly because i'd love to know what happened to Link after MM and how it lead to his state in TP as the Hero's Shade.

-change the art style
Specifically, to something more mature. It doesn't have to be 'dark' like TP. But the visually intriguing, 'enchanted' feel of the Zelda Wii U Tech Demo had me so enthralled, I was honestly dismayed when I saw the first trailers for BoTW. Zelda seems to be getting too attached to a cel-shaded, cutesy feel (especially in light of the LA remake) and this is worrying to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxvM1A_uHuI

-out with the old
The kingdom of Hyrule, the Master Sword, especially, it's very overdone at this point. Have Link explore a completely new kingdom, with its own, storied history. Perhaps even get rid of Princess Zelda and the Triforce.

-balance out the overworld/underworld
In the original LoZ, the dungeons were known as the 'underworld', because they mirrored the overworld. I don't know for sure, but I think the collective dungeons were bigger than the overworld itself, by number of screens.
For the next Zelda, I want the developers to sort of go back to this philosophy. Cut down on the size of the overworld to about 50% and then create an 'underworld' that is roughly the same size. What's the point, you ask? Well, in the game I envision, you are encouraged to tunnel into the underworld in the process of exploration. There would be lots of moments where, owing to the topography and sheer height of mountains that you will probably have to go under to get past. So the underworld would function like an 'underground'; there would still be dungeons, but they wouldn't function like traditional dungeons. They would be so large, you wouldn't be expected to explore each one fully the moment you arrive necessarily, and dungeons would link up to neighbouring ones. There would even be entire settlements underground. Because you would have to weave in and out between the overworld and underworld during normal course of play, the two worlds would feel more composite, and it would feel like one very maze-like world. (It would be very important though that there would be no loading screens)

-design the overworld with more flair
To me this a real no-brainer, but really try to do something other than forests, snow regions, volcanoes... This is a fantasy game, the possibilities are literally endless, and for Nintendo to fall back on the same tired environments for 30 years now is just disappointing.
Please do something more abstract and creative.

-more emphasis on cities
And make these cities sprawling and fun to explore in their own right.

-cut down on the items, please!
One sword, one shield, one bow is enough. Maybe focus more on an upgrading system?

-hire a better composer

-write a better story, get rid of the MacGuffins, and make me feel for the characters

I don't care if you make the game more linear as a result.

Definitely story-telling. I liked BotW's story, but how it was told felt disjointed and rushed. I understand that creating an open world and a meaningful, cohesive story is difficult, especially when one is redesigning a beloved franchise from the ground up, but hopefully they'll take inspiration from other games for the next Zelda title. In particular The Witcher 3 was GREAT at this. I hope they are able to incorporate a story similarly in the next Zelda game.

Also more/better dungeons, redesign of the weapon durability, and either a more densely populated or smaller world.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Oh, and canoes. The rafts were interesting as a proof of concept but they were useless in practice. I've wanted canoes in the overworld since my first Zelda role play in the early thousands.

My two main gripes with BotW seem to be among the most common: the lack of engagement from the story and the lower than average dungeon quality.

For the next game I'd like a story line that draws inspiration from Majora's Mask, where there is a central antagonist and objective to the game, yet most of the story is delivered through region narratives: the troubles that each tribe or group of characters are enduring that Link must save them from (such as saving the Goron's from eternal winter which brings about spring). Zelda's story lines have never been complex, but I feel that they pack a lot of emotional weight when they make you feel like the archetypal Hero who saves those in distress and rights the wrongs of the world. Quality sidequests centered around the unfolding stories of characters you learn to love would also contribute to the sense of making a difference in the world.

As for the dungeons, no matter the exact form they take there needs to be more of them, they need to be longer, as well as more individually distinct, and they need to incorporate more of the navigational challenges and stronger enemy presence of the past. That said, I've actually been thinking of an approach similar to @BlueChirri 's idea of turning the dungeons into an interconnected underworld with multiple entry/exit points in each region, so that the overworld and dungeon gameplay are woven together seamlessly. I think this would fit the open-air design perfectly.

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
One thing i'd enjoy seeing in Zelda switch is an option for different mounts we had a variety of them in BOTW and let's be honest we were all sad we could'nt board a spectral horse or a bear.

More importantly for such a large world as botw i always wanted a better form of flight than was available via gliding, we actually had a damn good view from boarding medoh that nintendo "could" do it but why they didn't i don't know

The most important thing for me is for there to be more dungeons and for these dungeons to be as long as dungeons in previous 3D Zelda games and to all be different aesthetically. Something along the lines of shrines can stay, but there should be much less of them, maybe around 20-30.

I want to see more enemy variety. Breath of the Wild was actually very clever about having so many different types of the same enemy, so it covered up the lack of enemy variety well for some time, but once you put in tens of hours, if not hundreds, into it, the staleness of constantly fighting the same enemies, just slightly different each time, is noticeable. Along the same lines, I want more bosses and for each boss to actually be unique.

I want a story that takes largely places in the present. Breath of the Wild's story was extremely awkward because most of the best parts occurred in the past. I hope this story is told on a grander scale, and we see armies of allied NPCs clashing with enemies during certain parts of the game, actually in-game, not during a cut scene. That would make the world feel a lot more alive.

No more weapon breaking. It was very annoying to have to constantly deal with swapping out weapons. I also want the iconic arsenal of Zelda tools to return in the next game. I think runes can coexist alongside them but the lack of a hookshot or longshot was definitely felt in BotW.

Please no giant collection quest. I know collecting at least 100 of something is a staple of the 3D Zelda games, but 900 Korok seeds was overkill. I think this is artificial padding and does nothing to enhance the actual game. I would rather that development time be spent adding a few more fleshed out side quests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom