• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What do you think will be common in 50 years that isn't now?

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
Anyone have any interesting theories about what will be common in 50 years? My imagination is broken right now, but I think it's an interesting thought experiment nonetheless.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Virtual Reality, or something of the sort. I see this as more of a 15-year prediction, actually. I’ve thought about dipping my toes into it (too pricey). I tried it at a friend’s place once though, and it was amazing. I could totally see it becoming more and more common.

Reactions: Dio

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
wireless energy

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Space travel. Sure maybe not everyone would be able to go to space but there will easily be more people going up there with Elon musk around and Donald Trump as President.

And Nintendo will still be pushing motion controls.

Last edited:

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think it will be much more common to work from home, work less hours, and even not work at all.

With the way automation is going I am doubtful that fifty years from now there will be sufficient jobs for the number of people who need them. So positive attitudes toward ideas similar to or inspired by UBI will probably become more commonplace in certain nations. At the very least, I think that the way we work will look quite different to today.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Virtual Reality, or something of the sort. I see this as more of a 15-year prediction, actually. I’ve thought about dipping my toes into it (too pricey). I tried it at a friend’s place once though, and it was amazing. I could totally see it becoming more and more common.

VR is amazing already. I love it and have an Oculus myself and i think VR is only in an early stage. I think it's gonna take off big time in the future as the technology improves and it becomes more affordable for the common person.

I think it will be much more common to work from home, work less hours, and even not work at all.

With the way automation is going I am doubtful that fifty years from now there will be sufficient jobs for the number of people who need them. So positive attitudes toward ideas similar to or inspired by UBI will probably become more commonplace in certain nations. At the very least, I think that the way we work will look quite different to today.

With corona many office workers are already working from home now, and it just proves there is no need for an office for many and no need for companies to rent the office spaces. I agree working from home will become much more common in the future.

I agree with the reduced hours too. It's been shown office workers are more productive on a four day week than a five day week. It's not even good for a persons health to work over 40 hours. Studies have shown a detrimental effect on health. Just because it's something some have always done doesn't make it good nor should others have to go through it if it's not necessary or healthy.

Also think automation will become more commonplace and certain type of human jobs will become obsolete. However I think with more automation I think food growing will be helped and it will be cheaper and easier to provide food and water for everyone. I think that if basic necessities were able to be provided for everyone due to automation then there would be reduced violent crimes. Obviously there would still be incentive for people to work so they can afford better stuff and many positions such as in healthcare are unlikely to be automated, although technology will certainly help healthcare professionals.

Aewon

Emperor of the Flesh-Eating Replicators
I just mean that he’s currently pushing the space program. That’s definitely going to affect where it will be in 50 years.

Trump is anti-intellectual and a conspiracy nut. What could he be doing that's beneficial to the space program?

Trump is anti-intellectual and a conspiracy nut. What could he be doing that's beneficial to the space program?
trump is in active contact with the pledeidians who are negotiating free energy technology transfer to liberate humankind from the reptilians and their slaves, the greys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom