• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Do You Think Twilight Princess Brought to the Series?

Out of the 3D games I can think of a good handfull of things that each zelda game brought to the series, but with Twilight Princess I'm a bit stuck. I want to know your oppinion on what you think Twilight Princess brought to the series, and in what areas it surpassed other 3D zelda games.

My list:
Ocarina of Time- 1st 3D zelda, brought the foundation of 3D zeldas, time travel, everything starts with this game.

Majora's mask- Most in depth characters and side-quests of any zelda game. hardest and most unique dungeons. Story really made you feel like you were in grave danger, fighting for something. Awesome transformatins. Zora, Goron, Deku, COVERED!

Wind Waker- Best story in my oppinion, lots of "woah, didn't see that comming", great use of ganondorf. Best art style in my oppinion, very unique and innovative, even if the sailing wasn't incredible, the use of a sea overworld brought a fresh look and feel too the series.

Twilight Princess- felt like OoT, same music mostly, same places, the wolf was a lot worse than the transformations in Majora's Mask. Twilight Realm was less unique than the dark world in ALttP, the side-quests and characters weren't as compelling than that of Majora's Mask, it was too easy. But I felt the item's were the most unique, just very underused unfortunately. And Midna to me was the best assisting character.

So, why do you think Twilight Princess brought to the series? I want a reason to appreciate it more.
Shoot!

Ralis

Prince of the Zoras
I don't agree with alot of those things. I think that TP was a good game. I do agree that the items were cool, that Midna was awesome, and that the bosses were too easy. I don' think that the whole game was too easy. But the rest of the things, I think the opposite of. I t was also a whole new revolution of good graphics for the Zelda series. Plus, it and MM were the only zelda games that you could transform at any time.

Last edited:

Ooccoo Watcher

Some guy with a Clawshot.
Out of the 3D games I can think of a good handfull of things that each zelda game brought to the series, but with Twilight Princess I'm a bit stuck. I want to know your oppinion on what you think Twilight Princess brought to the series, and in what areas it surpassed other 3D zelda games.

My list:
Ocarina of Time- 1st 3D zelda, brought the foundation of 3D zeldas, time travel, everything starts with this game.

Majora's mask- Most in depth characters and side-quests of any zelda game. hardest and most unique dungeons. Story really made you feel like you were in grave danger, fighting for something. Awesome transformatins. Zora, Goron, Deku, COVERED!

Wind Waker- Best story in my oppinion, lots of "woah, didn't see that comming", great use of ganondorf. Best art style in my oppinion, very unique and innovative, even if the sailing wasn't incredible, the use of a sea overworld brought a fresh look and feel too the series.

Twilight Princess- felt like OoT, same music mostly, same places, the wolf was a lot worse than the transformations in Majora's Mask. Twilight Realm was less unique than the dark world in ALttP, the side-quests and characters weren't as compelling than that of Majora's Mask, it was too easy. But I felt the item's were the most unique, just very underused unfortunately. And Midna to me was the best assisting character.

So, why do you think Twilight Princess brought to the series? I want a reason to appreciate it more.
Shoot!​

What do you mean What did TP bring to the series? :suspicious:

1. TP brought basically REVOLUTIONARY graphics to the Zelda series. Compared to the other Zeldas, I mean.
2. TP brought the idea of a double hookshot!!
3. TP was the first Zelda on the Wii.

Think about THAT!!

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Again...people who have experienced the revolution when OoT was released always will compare this game to any other game. I think TP has done a huge lot to the World of Zelda. The graphics were awesome and the game in general was a joy to play. Even though I finished Oot before TP many times I still love TP more. Mainly because of the graphics. When it comes to dungeons the first dungeon in OoT is extremely easy compared to any other dungeon in TP but later on OoT wins when it comes to Dungeons difficulty but in the end with Zant and Ganon TP wins. It is not really fair to compare those games considering TP was created 8 years later. Of course time doesn´t stand still and technology goes forward. Within 10 years even TP might look awful (in Graphics) because the progress goes on and on.
But TP deserves much more recognition than it does now.

Nye Pendragon

derparific
Every Zelda game has brought /something/ new to the table.

With OoT, it was the first 3D game of the franchise and the most successful. Majora's Mask gave us amazing, well-thought out NPCs. The Wind Waker brought out the cell-shaded graphics, etc. I could go on, but those are some of the more obvious ones.

I think TP brought out the realities of how important story is to a video game. In my opinion, Twilight Princess has the best story out of all the Zelda games, and though not the most unique, per se, but the most engrossing. (I would say MM's is the most unique; but also the most chaotic and has far too many sub-plots to be the 'best' story, even though it's quite brilliant!) Disagree? Feel free to, but this is what stood out to me, along with character /designs/. The NPCs are so pretty to look at in TP, like the rest of the game.

... that's all I have to say. -fail- |D;

T

Tychon

A small detail, but if you noticed carefully in some boss battles (the dragon in the last dungeon and the Lakebed Temple boss come to mind), when you get to the part where you have to use your sword to damage them, the music changes. It's deliberate, and almost seamlessly integrated into the main BG when you fight the boss, but it's there nonetheless. While the boss battles weren't challenging, I thought it enhanced the experience, and made the battles epic to play and enjoy. I think I actually enjoy the boss battles in TP the most because of that (and the way in which the game makes you use your items, new and old to beat a boss). See, if Majora's Mask had bosses more like those of TP's, I actually wouldn't mind having to beat them more than once. I found MM's bosses to be kind of blah; there wasn't much strategy involved in beating them, and if you did find out how to beat them, it got tedious and some battles took too long.

Just because a boss battle isn't challenging doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable.

Ok, Twilight Princess did bring, up to date realistic graphics to zelda. They were pretty incredible when I first played it. The artistic areas were awesome! Like Goron Mines, Lakebed Temple, Forest Temple, the woods by the temple of time blew me away artisticly, as well as other areas. But some areas in that game do feel a bit bland, especailly once you've been playing it a while or been playing game with better graphics, it doesn't have that same impact. I could definately be blown away if they did a game more artistic with the color intensity and palate odd look like Majora's mask, or cel shading of Wind Waker, or more realistic graphics like in 1080p HD! If they released the game a year before when the PS3 and 360 and Wii weren't running the show, the graphics would have been more awe imspiring. The gamecube version seems more appropriate because it was built on that console. The beta shots looked awesome. In fact I wish they released the game earlier and gave it the graphical praise it deserved and kept things like the beta forest and bigger areas we saw in the first trailers. That looked far more massive then it was when it was released.

The sword fighting on horse as well as using weapons on horse, the underwater mechanics were vastly improved in Twilight Princess, I agree with this.

Double clawshot is one of the best items in my opinion, so I agree with that. I already like Twilight Princess' items the most. The downfall is that they were underused. You used that item in that dungeon and then it was done with.

The bosses would have been more thrilling if I was immersed in them.
My cousin was watching me fight the Lakebed Temple boss when I first got the game. I wanted him to be impressed with the battle, and wanted it to look intense, fun, and challanging, because I wanted him to be interested in getting the game, so I played sloppy, I tried to make the boss hit me. Then halfway through, he looked at me and he said, "he doesn't even attack you?... thats lame."
So ya, after that I didn't feel threatened. I killed Ganondorf with 3 hearts, no shield, and no fairy/potions. It was a fun game, but it was so easy and linear, didn't have a lot of meat out of the main quest... My 8 year old brother beat the game and hes stuck like 1/4 way through on all of the other zeldas. He even said the game was too easy and wished it was a bit harder. So yes I do feel difficulty has an effect on how fun the game is.

Twilight Princess did have a great story. Better than OoT and MM in my oppinion. But a negative effect it had on me was it almost felt as if they were pushing the story down your throat the first half of the game, and then absent the second half.
It also felt tacked on to fit the gameplay; its kind of a confusing story, leaving areas of story development vague or messy. I think they could hve explained it a bit better and executed it better, then it would have been incredible. I also think the Twilight should have had a different effect on the people, making it more serious of a threat. The story did have a lot of potential and parts of it were quite amazing.
Wind Waker had an amazing story. When I met the King of Hyrule, found out it was the king of red lions, Tetra becoming Princess Zelda, Ganondorf taking the power away from the master sword, finding out the gods flooded hyrule, seeing the statue of the hero of time, I dunno. It felt like an incredible story that executed itself well. And after the second dungeon you felt you could go explore the 49 islands out there. You didn't feel tied down to the story. Yet every couple steps you took through the story you found out a bit more to keep you interested.
But I do agree that Twilight Princess characters were much more involved in the main story making the story that much more imortant.
Majora`s Mask characters did have a big tie to the story but it also felt like they had their own lifes and stories behind them which made them deeper as NPCs.

I personally didn't think that TP felt like OoT. To me, OoT felt more like ALttP.

I think what TP brought was horse fighting, double clawshot, deep story, character development.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
TP brought us a upshot in graphics quality, definitely - a good showing of realistic-style graphics as applied to the fanciful world of Hyrule. Things were real, but not "too real." Some of the human characters fall into the Uncanny Valley a bit for me, but if that can be corrected in a future game, I'd say that TP would be the "basis for realistic graphics" in the future line.

TP brought us.... meloncholy. Okay, so other games in the series do that, too. OoT felt particularly meloncholic to me, but TP - even moreso because of all the wonderful ruins around the world. While OoT is more or less a fresh, new world (with a little bit of historical background here and there, like the Sheikah legend), TP really did feel like the remains of an ancient land, a "Hyrule built upon another Hyrule." I think TP brings ups a lot of "history and meloncholy."

TP brought us... some well-developed NPCs. I mean, I actually *cared* about the NPCs in this game. I did play it before I played Majora's Mask, so MM is the better one to look to for that foundation-wise, but I think TP really did a lot to expand upon character development. The characters are there to fill particular roles as you need them, but they give you their little backstories and you get a good sense that they have lives of their own when Link is not there - from his mentor who's secretly working for a mysterious resistance-fighter group and apparently has been under Link's nose, to the little timid boy who admires him so much and eventually find his own courage when Link's late to the party, to the scholar using Link to his own ends to complete his father's research.... busty, lusty bar owners... I could go on.

TP gave us... The most well-developed Partner/sidekick character so far. I speak, of course, of Midna. Navi was cute, but was more or less a game-mechanic, there to give you a little exposition and to be a floating beastairy. Tatl, pretty much the same but with more personality and attitude... the boat... the boat may be an ancient king, but most of his role is as your transport. Midna's the frickin' Twilight Princess! She has this whole shady (pun intended) backstory, and growth, and interaction with Link that ranges from the disdainful, the humorous to... the tender. She's the first partner that doesn't seem to just be there to tell you about danger and to mechanic you through the game - she has a history, a STORY. If future Zelda games *must* have partners (I'd like to see a return, at least in one major game to being partner-less, just to be refreshing), I'd like to see more partners be as developed as Midna.

M

M-SwordLink

To me, Twilight Princess brought swordplay like how Ocarina of Time brought the beginning mechanics for Z-Targeting. You see how cool it was in each game, but you could see it being so much more elaborate and in-depth, like how the new Zelda Wii in my opinion, is going to be amazing with the motion plus in the swordplay.

Midna was definately the best sidekick, and the graphics did bring us closer to a more realistic zelda in the future, the items were awesome but underused. There are a few areas that Twilight Princess is better than the other games, but I expect more from future zelda games.

I think EVERY future zelda, especially the major ones like ALttP, OoT, MM, WW, and TP, bring us a FRESH feel, a story more incredible then the last, a world bigger and more in depth than the last, NPCs more in depth and better created, weapons better used, puzzles harder, combat more in depth, and everything just better!!! TP was a game the surpassed other zelda game in some ways. Graphics, and other small details but there are past zeldas than beat twilight princess in many ways.. Twilight Princess was great, but not as good as it should have been.

Epona

Ordon Village
I thought TP was a great game. The story, especially, and the relationships we see between Link and the children, and between everyone else. Link and Midna were a great team too. I just beat the game for the first time today and I was very satisfied with it.

For those who say "it wasn't as good as it could have been," I'm curious, what could have made it better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom