• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What do you think of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE?

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I've played this game recently, and it was very interesting. It feels a lot like a traditional JRPG, but it seems to require more complex strategies in order to beat. It's the game that tided me over until BoTW came out, actually.

Rather than traditional protagonists on a quest, you actually play as aspiring entertainers that rely on the abilities of beings called "Mirages" in order to fight in certain places. So half the game is played in the real world, and the other half is played in these special places called Idolaspheres.

It has the Fire Emblem system of weapon weaknesses, and it's important to raise your whole party evenly in order to take advantage of sessions (note the title of the game) that you should be trying to trigger as often as possible by targeting enemy weaknesses. So the game punishes you a bit if you use an attack that an enemy isn't weak against, by simply making it a single attack rather than a long string of attacks like you'll need to beat enemies. If you try to raise some party members at the expense of others, the game will get progressively more difficult as it assumes you're taking advantage of longer sessions. It's also worth noting that your accessories in this game effectively double as your armor, and you need to constantly gather materials for new weapons and level them up in order to gain new skills.

The game can be very difficult, especially if you play on Normal or Hard, but I find that it's the kind of difficulty I deal with well. It doesn't require good reflexes or even a lot of creativity, so much as it involves paying careful attention to patterns in battle, managing your party and inventory carefully, and thinking about specific strategies and parties that might work well against particular enemies. This is the kind of game where you might actually need buffs, debuffs, and status ailments in order to put you over the edge, whereas in most JRPGs they're just nice to have.

I personally think that it's a very good game with a really interesting and creative storyline, perhaps even better than a lot of the Final Fantasy games I've played over the years. It makes good use of the Gamepad, treating it like an in-game phone of some kind that you use to chat with your party members. It's just a shame that it came out near the end of the Wii U's lifespan, and that not a lot of people will get to enjoy it. A game like this earlier in the system's life might have helped it more.

Your thoughts?

It was okay... i mean, there's nothing wrong with it.

Ive played Digimon Story Cybersleuth and Persona/Shin Megami in the past and TMS#FE plays very much like those two with its small areas, turn based combat and maze-like dungeons (i think they all had the same director or designer for gameplay).

I think because it was marketed as a crossover between FE and TMS and that really isnt what it is (its an Atlus RPG with name drops) i was disappointed. Had the game not dropped the FE names into the story i really wouldnt have known the characters were supposed to be the likes of Chrom, Tharja etc.

I like one song too (resurrection) so the game being an idol war with magic just didnt really get me invested.

Actually playing it is fine, i was just disappointed with the excecution of the concept and the actual story.

Definitely the most unique WiiU title though.

Last edited:

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I haven't played it but did follow announcements about it at some point. I like other SMT and Atlus games I've tried although I couldn't get much into Persona, which makes me question how #FE would fare for me. One thing that turned me off slightly about this one was that attack animations looked way too long from what I saw, but I didn't see much.

I will say the game is quite amazing, but not in the traditional way. The music for me is the biggest drawcard. So much so I bought the full soundtrack for it. Took me a long while to warm up to the music though. The combat and story are pretty good too. Not totally amazing but solid. The story did break down near the end when it moved away from the realistic city based lore, to that fantasy stuff with the dragons. The last two dungeons had this and I didn't like it. A shame as the last dungeon in the game is the best visually and in terms of pizzles and mechanics to solve.

I have not played any Persona game and I have not dabbled much at all into FE. I went into this blind based on a friend's recommendation. Took me quite a while to warm up to it but I am glad I did.

I would recommend it but not to everyone as it's totally a niche game.

Note Well - This game did have a lot of censorship and controversy surrounding it. I personally agree with some of the censorship this game had done to it and disagree with some as well.

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I totally want to play this game but there's still other games I want to get to first
I'm a pretty big Fire Emblem fan and a moderate Persona fan so this is definitely on my radar

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I haven't played much of it, but from what I have, I think it's a pretty interesting game. It's definitely colorful and fun to look at, and the gameplay is the same as well. I think it's not a game for everyone, but if you're a big fan of JRPG's, I defimitely recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom