• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds What Do You Think of the Princess Zelda Rumor?

OK, so, for those who don't know, there's a character called the Rumor Guy near where you obtain the Master Sword. He tells you about gossip on three different characters, Gramps and the witch being the other two. The one in particular, as you probably guessed, is Princess Zelda herself. I'm pasting the quote from one of the two Zelda wikis (Why are there two of them anyway? It's like with Transformers, there's two of them) in case you're curious about it.

"[Princess Zelda.] Oh, that princess... She's quite an interesting one, let me tell you. You wanna hear something juicy? When we reach a certain age, even the princess comes to a point where she has love on her mind, right...? [Of course!] OK, WELL... You didn't hear it from me, but every night the princess goes on a little excursion inside the castle. Her maids say that she's secretly meeting someone. Apparently, she's not very good at the "secretly" part. So, one night, someone gave in to the delicious temptation of curiosity and decided to follow the princess... And guess what happened! [What happened?] The princess stopped in front of a large painting on display in the center of the castle. And she stood there just staring up at the painting for 10 minutes. And then went back to her room. Just like that! So when the person following her went to inspect the painting... You'll never guess what happened! That painting...? [What?] This painting was of a hero and princess from several generations ago cuddling in one another's arms... This person following her--it wasn't me, I swear--continued to follow her every night! Creepy. And it was the same thing every time! Princess Zelda would just stare at the picture night after night... Not a very exciting end, I suppose. Maybe that's not so juicy after all. Oh well. They can't all be overripe fruit! The painting brought out a look of such admiration that had never been seen before in the princess. Now you've heard it. Go on, now. That gossip ain't gonna spread itself!"

I got curious and went to look at the painting again when I re-entered the castle. It doesn't look like the two are in each other's arms. For those curious, it's this image.
http://zeldawiki.org/File:ALBW_Painting_5.jpg

Now, some would argue it's just another of those constant ship teases Nintendo likes to bring up when it comes to the relationship of Link and Zelda. Other's could say the Rumor Guy either exaggerated the event or misunderstood it. You could also argue that it isn't the same painting. Personally, I like to think he's not that far off. Considering how old this Link is... let's say 10-12 years old, and Zelda's look makes her appear around the same age, if not a year older, it's likely she's at that age where she is thinking about meeting someone. Since we don't see her parents, assuming they are even alive, and Impa seems to be her only confidant, I could see a sort of loneliness in her.

What do you think?

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Ha, that reminds me of the relationship tease in Ocarina. One of the Gossip Stones says (paraphrased): "Malon, the girl from the ranch, is just waiting for a knight in shining armor to sweep her off her feet". This insinuated something very similar-but at the same time, in didn't necessarily target Link specifically, but rather hinted at it vaguely.

This one is less than a vague hint and more of a slap in the face. But still, I'd like to see this from another angle. I dont think she goes in there seeing herself and Link. Rather, she goes in there and sees a hero, and has romantic thoughts about ending up with one. Link isn't a hero yet. Yes, he's going out on a journey, but he isn't the hero of legend until the very end-he's just a smith in training. The painting (whether or not the one you provided is the one she looked at, I don't know) symbolizes a bond between an ancient hero and princess.

If anything, its Zelda daydreaming, wanting something along the lines of that fantasy. And yeah, good point, with only Impa with her, I don't blame her for having such thoughts. Just my opinion though. I don't think its blatant fan service, just a hint that Zelda gets lonely, little bit of background on the character, which is a nice touch.

I think her reverence of the painting may have to do more with her wanting to have the same fulfillment and sense of purpose as the noble princesses of old, rather than wasting her days shut up in the castle. The Rumor Guy might have misinterpreted her actions to be more romantically-inclined based off of the story from the maids. This explains the fact that the hero and princess aren't really in each other's arms: it's not really about the romance. Also, she's described as having "admiration", not infatuation or something more associated with love.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I mean if I had to constantly see a portrait of my ancestor smitten with their significant other, I'd be jelly too.

Probably wouldn't stare at it for extended periods of time in the middle of the night though...

Also it's pretty creepy this dude was spying on Zelda

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
i think its a solid assumption of the event at hand. if she is starting at the past Princess and Link, she has learned a new Link has been reborn, and stares at it every know, knowing that "her" Link will save the land due to her Confidence in his courage. and considering their reactions to eachother at the end of the game, i would say she gets with link. if the game get a sequel we will find out but i doubt we do, leaving us to forever wonder if Link and Zleda ever became an Item!

Sad Really!

ILU

i luv u
i think its a solid assumption of the event at hand. if she is starting at the past Princess and Link, she has learned a new Link has been reborn, and stares at it every know, knowing that "her" Link will save the land due to her Confidence in his courage. and considering their reactions to eachother at the end of the game, i would say she gets with link. if the game get a sequel we will find out but i doubt we do, leaving us to forever wonder if Link and Zleda ever became an Item!

Sad Really!
This, pretty much. The game basically implies that Zelda/Link happened... I'm going to assume that it was the ALttP/OoX/LA Link, mainly because of the kiss at the end of OoX. *shrug* Of course, it could be any Zelda and her hero, since I'm sure Nintendo will slap another game somewhere between all those anyway. But, I think the rumor guy was right in saying she's "that age," and she's probably just feeling lonely and hoping that she'll have a hero one day. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this princess was the romantic type.

There is no implication here. You kids are extrapolating I formatjon that is not there, whoch is natural I suppose. LinkxZelda has NEver been confkr edto bappe e so stlppulli g at nonexistrnt strings thank you co e again

Last edited by a moderator:

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
I think it was a misunderstanding on the Rumor Guy's part. Zelda was staring at the painting because she recognizes Link as the hero reborn because he looks exactly like the hero in the painting. She is probably standing there thinking about the events of the past and hoping Link can save Hyrule like he did last time. Or perhaps looking at the old paintings and seeing if she can find a clue from the past to help him out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom