• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What do you think of average games?

Not every game is a masterpiece and totally amazing. Average games exist.

There are a whole load of reasons to like average games while still being able to admit they are really not the best game out there.

I am playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions now. It’s probable better than average but it’s far from great. It’s really a game for its time. A WiiU game and it really shows it was designed with the WiiU’s lower hardware specs in mind. However I still like the game as it is fun and the story is mostly good, even if the last chapter is a little what the $&@!

What is your opinion of average games?
Do you really like any average games a lot?
Can you look past minor flaws to like a game?

My opinion on average games is that they're average.

I don't know, if there's nothing stellar or terrible about them, then they're not all that interesting to talk about.

I don't mind average games though. I like a lot of average games that really appeal to me.

I like some better than the triple A titles out there because they have more soul, despite them maybe not having great graphics, long length or being basic.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Do you mean average as in budget/scope? Like AA games?

I love them, I think there's a lot of creativity and soul in games that doesn't have a huge budget and an internal pressure to make everything as glossy as humanly possible.

I have a lot of oversight with flaws, mostly because I make games myself, knowing how insanely difficult it is and knowing that bugs and stuff happen, but even without that, I still think that I'm more than willing to look past flaws and see a games soul and heart if the game deserves it.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
average games definitely have their place, not every game has to be mindblowing or game of the year material, sometimes I would like to play something that's not trying to be so grand and just have a decent time
for whatever reason, nicktoons volcano island comes to mind, its certainly nowhere near the top 50 games of the 6th generation, but it's not at all awful and I wouldn't mind revisiting it again

Do you mean average as in budget/scope? Like AA games?
I was specifically refering to average in quality. Like the game is not amazing but not garbage also, somewhere in the middle.
However your idea of average in budget and scope is another way of considering the whole subject. Thanks for mentioning it. I didn't think about it till now.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I guess I don't have much of an opinion on average games. As long as a game isn't utter trash, and held my interest for a brief amount of time, there isn't much I'll complain about.

nicktoons volcano island comes to mind

I had this game as well; I'd also lump it into the list of average games I've played. It held my interest for a time and wasn't terrible, just a bit underwhelming.

Quin

Disaster Master
Strange question. If I like a game a lot its obviously not an average game to me, even if the general conscious thinks it is.
But yeah, its possible to love a game even if it has obvious and big flaws. It all depends on how much they disrupt the experience to you.
First games that come to mind for me are the Sonic Adventure games, both games far from perfect, and have a lot of issues, especially in the presentation, even for its time. However the (sonic) gameplay is still solid for me and I still have a lot of fun playing it. Probably still my favorite way how 3D sonic handles.
On the other end of the spectrum, there are also good games where the minor nitpicks can ruin a probably very good game for me. Xenoblade 2 is probably really good, but the presentation totally ruins the game for me, and this is coming from someone who liked 1 a lot, and X too kinda.

I think the New Super Mario Bros. games are pretty average when compared to most games in the franchise but it's still fun to find all the star coins and go for 100%. So average games can have some redeeming characteristics even if they are nothing special in story, gameplay, or sound. As long as you have fun during the playthrough, it's worth your time even if the experience won't stay in your memory for long.

S

Seadragon

If I wouldn't give it above an 8 I honestly don't really feel like playing it.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'd rather suffer through a bad game than meander through an average one. If a game was bad enough that it leaves you saying, "Man, that game was garbage," then it's more memorable than some average game without any defining characteristics.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
It depends on the opinion of average. What's average to one isn't average to another. As long as I enjoy a game I don't mind if it's average or not. I'm not that big of a gamer but I like games that keep me busy and won't be finished in a few hours (without speedruns of course)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom