• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Do You Think is the Most Underrated Zelda?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Other than Adventure of Link, I'd have to say Twilight Princess is very underrated. This, on the main, was perpetrated by the amount of content Nintendo dished out before its release. That, and the fact that Ganondorf dropped into the story out of nowhere. I, however, argue that it was necessary. If Zant had already overtaken the Twilight Realm, why would he have any interest in the Light World? With Ganon's entry there was plenty of motivation for him to infest Hyrule with his Shadow Beings. Zant's "god" filled his head with visions of expanding his dominion, using Twilight to douse Light. The story could not have expanded itself much without this. so, minus the prerelease overhype, TP's story justifies itself fairly well.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I personally think AoL is the most underrated Zelda. Granted, it IS frustratingly hard, but I mean...it's still a great game. The level up system it featured was perhaps one of the best, I wish Nintendo could bring it back in a 3D Zelda but I don't know if that's on their mind. Spells, magic system, life system...it was all done greatly. If the difficulty was toned down, I'm sure people would appreciate Adventure of Link much more than they currently do.

Majora's Cat

How about that
dazzsheil said:
Zelda II Is just overly underrated because the Zelda community,some without even playing it,just label it as Hard and Bad?

Adventure of Link isn’t underrated. When a game is giving criticism from reviewers and gamers about its flaws, there’s no way to look around these shortcomings. The difficulty of a game can determine how playable and enjoyable a game is. When a game is much too difficult for the common gamer, he/she will obviously have frustrations and dislike it. Most gamers tend to think that a game’s gameplay, controls and visuals are all the attributes needed to determine how good or bad it is. I believe that difficulty is another quality that must be kept to a moderate level so that the game appeals to all gamers, and AoL did not oblige to that.

Therefore, I believe that Adventure of Link’s criticism is well-deserved. The gameplay and concept was fine, the RPG elements were a great change in direction, but AoL was just too hard. And sometimes that can really drag down the likability of a game. Calling a game “underrated” simply because it is generally unfavorable isn’t entirely accurate. AoL must be able to live up to the high standards of Zelda games to be considered underrated and overlooked, but sadly, it falls just short.

Now that the nasty business of AoL is out of the way, I’d like to focus my attention on Twilight Princess. At the time of its release, the game was receiving the highest of praise from critics and gamers. But the hype that was continuously building up since E3 2004 caught up to TP. However, I don’t think that the hype for a game should be a factor for how much a person enjoys the game. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess was still a wonderful game, introducing fresh, realistic graphics, wonderful motion gameplay and a bevy of sidequests and extras hidden across the vastest land overworld the series has ever seen.

The fact that TP was released to such success was probably what sent some gamers reeling. Because of the ridiculously high expectations, gamers expected a game to top all other games. Sadly, Twilight Princess was not able to deliver that. Nonetheless, that should not have been enough for gamers to send so much hate TP’s way, even after the Wii version of the game garnered a 95 on Metacritic and the GC version a 96 (respectively). Fans of the Zelda franchise were just bitter that TP wasn’t a godsend, and decided to nitpick at small aspects of the game that don’t really impact the player’s experience.

Yes, Twilight Princess is underrated by fans. I hardly ever see anyone praising the game anymore, and I believe that that’s due mostly to fans “jumping on the hate bandwagon” to conform to the rest of the Zelda community’s view of TP. TP is still a fantastic game, and everyone should be able to see that if they didn’t already have the mindset that it has a virtually unlimited amount of flaws. I feel sorry for these people, and I find that the situation with Twilight Princess is somewhat like GameSpot’s review for Skyward Sword: they’re nitpicking and bombarding the games with criticisms about problems that are both non-existent and too miniscule to actually be of importance.

MW7

Personally I think Link's Awakening is the most underrated game in the series. A large reason why I think people overlook it is simply its placement in the series between the juggernauts that are ALTTP and OOT (which deserve the praise they get btw). IMO Link's Awakening qualifies as underrated because it's not usually a game that is mentioned when people mention best zelda games. The gameplay is top notch like all other Zeldas, but Link's Awakening has possibly the greatest story of any game in the series. Also the overworld is very cool, and the dungeons contain some of the best puzzles ever. The pillar puzzle in Eagle's Tower might be the most challenging thing I've encountered in any Zelda game. Finally people tend to focus on the console releases (myself included) and adding that to the fact that it was released between ALTTP and OOT, then it makes sense that people overlook Link's Awakening.

Jedi Link

Use The Triforce
I think the DS games are VERY underrated. I found them to be great games while most people say (including zelda fans) that they are not good games. Maybe it's just because they were my first zelda games and they hold a special place in my heart.

H

harda toenail

Not sure critically, but by street cred, wind waker. Can't believe the people who diss it and I'm like well what about when you..., then they are like well I didn't actually play it it just looks stupid.

And I agree, the ds games are great fun and I preferred ph over st. Are ooa and oos worth playing? Those are the only ones I haven't played.

And wind waker has my favorite graphics of all the Zelda games

-KingJason

Superficies Rex
I couldn't figure out what to do for AoL, after the first ten minutes I quit. Back on track, The most underrated would have to be Twilight Princess, I just played it in October, I went in "knowing" it would be a bad game because that's what everyone said, so maybe it was because I had low standards that it became and still is my favorite Zelda game. I haven't played SS yet though.

D

dragonmon980

the legend of zelda one because i do not have a heck of a clue i am doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom