• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Do You Think is the Most Revolutionary Game and Why?

What was the most revolutionary Zelda title?

• Legend of Zelda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adventure of Link

• A Link to the Past

• Link's Awakening

• Ocarina of Time

• Majora's Mask

• Oracle of Ages

• Oracle of Seasons

• Wind Waker

• Other

• Total voters

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Okay so here is another thread from me. Which Zelda game do you think was the most revolutionary and why?

For me, I'd have to say... (drumroll please) *drumroll* A Link to the Past/Triforce of the Gods.

This was the game that defined it all. The music is still used (in remixed form) to this very day and is still considered some of the best ever, the graphics at the time were outstanding, and it introduced many elements that are used in Zelda today (sages and the Master Sword just to name a couple).

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Going from 2D to 3D is a huge thing, and seeing as it worked so well I'd say that's about as revolutionary as you can get, without creating a console where you're in the game itself.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Pfft, as much as I love Majora's Mask, that title goes to Ocarina. Miyamoto changed a 2D series into a 3D series. By doign this, Miyamoto had created a whole new style for Zelda gamers to enjoy, especially after waiting seven years. He also changed the Mario 64 engine into our OOT engie, and when you look at the stark differences between both OOT and Mario64, you'd say that's amazing.
Revolutionary doesn't mean how good the game is, it means what sort of influence that certain game left upon the players and the fans themselves. It also means how big the change was between this title and the last.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Pfft, as much as I love Majora's Mask, that title goes to Ocarina. Miyamoto changed a 2D series into a 3D series. By doign this, Miyamoto had created a whole new style for Zelda gamers to enjoy, especially after waiting seven years. He also changed the Mario 64 engine into our OOT engie, and when you look at the stark differences between both OOT and Mario64, you'd say that's amazing.
Revolutionary doesn't mean how good the game is, it means what sort of influence that certain game left upon the players and the fans themselves. It also means how big the change was between this title and the last.

Agree 100% In past threads I have gone on over and over at how I love MM but it didn't really bring about anything influential to Zelda. OoT set the basis for all future Zelda games. And for those of us who like to sit around thinking about Zelda, it also created the timeline theory.

I'm going to sa the original legend of zelda. Compare it with other games in 87 and see just how revolutionary it was. It kicked off an intire series pushing the limit on what video games could actually do. It was one of if not the first video game to be truly 100% entertaining. It invented a whole new line of thinking

Zarom

The King
The first Legend of Zelda was hands down the most revolutionary. Not only did it start the Zelda franchise that we all love, but back in the 80's, that game was very revolutionary for its time. It was the first video game to be played in a non-linear way, with a huge overworld to explore, many items to collect, included an in-game story and the game was able to be saved without passwords. So yeah, even though OOT was also revolutionary, the original is one of the most influential game ever.

Octo Rocked

Dr. Octorokapus BLAAAAAH!
Easily Ocarina of Time. While it's true that the first one was highly revolutionary, and A Link to the Past sort of set the framework for the stories and music that followed, Ocarina of Time was a shift from 2D to 3D. It changed not only the series, but Action Adventure in general.

Of course, it's still not my favorite game, and I think others have far surpassed it, but it was the one with the most influence.

Zelda wouldn't be what it is today without Ocarina of Time. That is the game that made the most influential transition and attracted most of the fans we have today.

yotam

Leave the chocolate here
OoT was a breakthrough, It was a beginning of something new, something so new that It changed the player view, after this game no one felt the same as before.

Nye Pendragon

derparific
Ocarina of Time. Why? Everybody has probably said this, but because of the transition of 2D to 3D. :3
Plus, it kind of set a standard of the 3D games, yes? I don't think any of the other 3D Zeldas (other than maybe Wind Waker) have innovated the series that much.

N

NiaSoPurdy

a link to the past!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ocarina of time is AWESOME but it's just the 3D version of alttp lol....alttp was an eye opener that zelda is a force to be reckoned with in the video game world!

a link to the past!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ocarina of time is AWESOME but it's just the 3D version of alttp lol....alttp was an eye opener that zelda is a force to be reckoned with in the video game world!

Meh, even if I DID agree that OoT was a ALttP "clone", it doesn't change the fact that OoT was the first 3D title and that's that. I'm going to guess the majority is going to agree that turning a 2D series into a 3D series is the single biggest change something can go through. OoT gave us MM, WW, TP, and soon to be Zelda Wii. Unless you hate all four 3D games with a passion, it would be hard to say that OoT wasn't the most re-defining in the series.

But re-defining that gaming world? Yeah, original LoZ. Not for the series, but for gaming in general it was the most revolutionary.

And yes, most revolutionary is by no means equal to the best.

I'll add my opinion to this thread even though this is obviously a win for OoT...

I agree with the majority, OoT is the most revolutionary game in the Zelda Series along with being one of the most revolutionary games of all time. OoT brought gaming to a new era of gaming, it's 3D graphics amazed millions of people around the world upon laying their eyes on this excellent game. It also knocked Zelda from 2D into 3D, the only bad thing I've ever thought about this game is that it is one of the last hard Zelda games going (well, to people that have never played it before), I suppose that's a good thing for it too though.

My choice would have to be LoZ. It was the game that started this excellent series and it was one of the first NES games that had a save feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom