• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Do You Think is the Best Invention and Why?

I pondered for a while, what is the best invention? I say the internet. It has provided a way for people who could never visit each other communicate, provide a way to buy unique items from different countries, and provide help to those of us who struggle with video games, otherwise known as a walkthrough. What are your thoughts?

Objectively there is no such thing as the "best invention" because everyone's wants are different and they seek to take advantage of the natural world in their own unique ways. Personally, the light bulb was crucial. Where we would be without it? Certainly not at more advanced stages of understanding the science behind creating such appliances as televisions and computers. The importance of learning to harness electricity cannot be underscored enough. Light bulbs also aid us in seeing during the night thus increasing productivity and efficiency. Not everyone may have the time to do what they need or want to do during the day and an artificial light source allows them to do just that.

........Indoor pluming........as much as I love the internet and all that jazz.......indoor pluming just rocks......I'm grateful for it.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
The toilet is and will always be the greatest invention of mankind. Without it, we wouldn't have that extra time to reflect on our lives and get wiser. Because of the toilet, we can drop a deuce and think, all while our pants are hanging around our ankles. It's the only time of day when we get to truly know ourselves. Before you can understand the world, you have to be able to understand yourself. Without the toilet, mankind would be lost.

Last edited:

Garo

Boy Wonder
I suppose the obvious answer here is "the wheel", or perhaps the first weapon, or the first tool, or so on. The sort of foundations that our entire race is based upon. Someone could make a strong but ultimately hollow argument that invention as a philosophical concept is the best invention because all inventions are brought about by invention... but it's a cop out.

In short my answer is the firearm.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
The invention that, IMO, had the most effect in the world was the printing press. No longer was it only the rich or highly trained that could learn and exchange information efficiently. This started the free exchange of information, which did wonders to bring humans out of the Dark Ages and into an informed age.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I'm gonna say beer. That might seem odd but there's actually a good reason for it.

Apparently archeologists discovered that early man found a way to make alcoholic beverages and they started to theorise that they came up with ideas like the wheel and cities because they were drunk.

Ug: "Hey Og? (hic) You know whut... You know whut would be really funny?"
Og: "Ug, have you been drinking again? Deary me you have a problem and need help."
Ug: (hic) We shud get a rock... And and and... An' we shud, like, make it all (hic) round and stuff."
Og: "And why, pray tell, would we do that?"
Ug: "I 'unno (hic). Be funny wudn' it? We cud like, roll it around an'... An' other stuffs like rolling it around... (burp)"

So I throw my vote in for beer which very well may have been the root of mankind's technological advancement.

Dan

cheese, it has brought happiness to many all over the world

Speak for yourself SCOTTISH !

The best invention in the world is clearly the INTERWEBZ ! Who needs a toilet anyway, I just go to the toilet in Garden.

Dan

I found another decent invention too. :P
14WUF

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom