• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What do you think about the New 3ds looking back?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
In 2015, the 3ds got an upgrade in the form of the New 3ds. Stupid name aside, it was an improvement to the 3ds in just about every way. While some games worked better if you played on it, it only ever got a handful of exclusive games. It offered SNES VC games and other digital games, but that was it. So just thinking about it, do you think the New 3ds did enough for what it was, or do you think they could've done more?

I feel it at least could've used a few more exclusive retail games. Its hard to say b/c I'm sure there would've been a bit of backlash if there was an exclusive Zelda game for it or something and probably would've split the audience, but that likely has to do w/ the fact that it came out midway of the 3ds's life. It's not like the Game Boy and Game Boy Color, where the Color came out almost 10 years after the original Game Boy, the New 3ds was only 4 years after the 3ds. But I think what they least they could have done was make certain games that notably run poorly on the original 3ds be New 3ds exclusive. Ones that come to mind were Hyrule Warriors Legends and Hey Pikmin, which were known to have performance problems on the original 3ds. But who knows, maybe there still would've been outrage to New 3ds exclusive games. I don't know, I just noticed how little exclusive titles there were on it despite being more capable hardware-wise.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Most of the really taxing games were New 3DS exclusives I think, like the Xenoblade port and a few others. Also the SNES Virtual Console games were exclusive to New 3DS.

I never got one though so I can't compare. I'd say it was kind of underwhelming.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Most of the really taxing games were New 3DS exclusives I think, like the Xenoblade port and a few others. Also the SNES Virtual Console games were exclusive to New 3DS.
Xenoblade 3d, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Minecraft are some of the only retail New 3ds games. I know there's stuff like Binding of Isaac, but it doesn't extend much beyond that, for notable games anyway.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
For what it was, I think the New 3DS was a pretty decent upgrade, and really the best dedicated handheld Nintendo's put out so far.

It has access to the entire DS library, the 3DS library, all the VC and digital games, and, of course, the New 3DS exclusive titles. On that alone, it has the most to offer. I'm actually glad they didn't opt to make more exclusive games for the N3DS than they already did. I feel like alienating owners of the original model would've been a bad move, even if it means that the new hardware was largely wasted potential.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
For what it was, I think the New 3DS was a pretty decent upgrade, and really the best dedicated handheld Nintendo's put out so far.

It has access to the entire DS library, the 3DS library, all the VC and digital games, and, of course, the New 3DS exclusive titles. On that alone, it has the most to offer. I'm actually glad they didn't opt to make more exclusive games for the N3DS than they already did. I feel like alienating owners of the original model would've been a bad move, even if it means that the new hardware was largely wasted potential.
I'm definitely thinking more about the wasted potential side right now, but yeah if something really big came out, there'd be a lot of unhappy standard 3ds owners

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I never got a "New" 3ds, the 2ds was fine for me. What I thought was really dumb about it was locking certain virtual games behind it. If you're buying a New version of a console, it should have some improvements. But it's not a new system. It's not a special membership. It's not cool to make a console that's virtually the same as the regular console but if you don't have it you can't play this this and this. If someone spent a ton of money on a 3ds or 2ds, they don't want to spend even more money getting the New version that has a bunch of older games which would be nice to play, but aren't worth enough just for those. I never approved of the system and still don't.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I never got a "New" 3ds, the 2ds was fine for me. What I thought was really dumb about it was locking certain virtual games behind it. If you're buying a New version of a console, it should have some improvements. But it's not a new system. It's not a special membership. It's not cool to make a console that's virtually the same as the regular console but if you don't have it you can't play this this and this. If someone spent a ton of money on a 3ds or 2ds, they don't want to spend even more money getting the New version that has a bunch of older games which would be nice to play, but aren't worth enough just for those. I never approved of the system and still don't.
supposedly the were exclusive to it because it was more capable of running SNES games than the standard 3ds/2ds, if I'm not misremembering it

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It kind of did what I don't want mid-generation upgrades to do: produce games exclusive to it. Stuff like Xenoblade Chronicles and Minecraft (and the few SNES games they designed to release) could only be played by a small portion of 3DS owners and no doubt sold poorly while attempting to split the fanbase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom