• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Do You Think About a Legend of Zelda Game with 2 Playable Characters?

Squirrel

The Rodent King
So Link always some type of campanion with him like Fi or Navi or Midna but what if his companion that's always with him could also fight?

So basically I'm asking what do you think about a Legend of Zelda game where you can control someone other than Link and fight using them also?

(Also, I don't mean like in Spirit Tracks where you can control both of them at the same time. I mean like you can switch the person you're using at any time and control them as if they were Link but not both at the same time so they can't exactly work together. It's more like if one guy is skilled with a bow and the other with a sword, you have to switch characters depending on which is needed. And also, it wouldn't necessarily have to be limited to only two characters.)

Last edited:

donpedrox

Thrilla in Manilla
That sounds a lot like another game that already exists. I forget its name at the moment, but the concept is interesting. The only concern I have is how these mechanics would fit like why isn't link able to use a bow? he was able to previously. Unless you mean a completely different hero that is not Link then maybe I suppose it would work.

Squirrel

The Rodent King
That sounds a lot like another game that already exists. I forget its name at the moment, but the concept is interesting. The only concern I have is how these mechanics would fit like why isn't link able to use a bow? he was able to previously. Unless you mean a completely different hero that is not Link then maybe I suppose it would work.
It doesn't specifically have to be a bow. That was just an example. And the main character would still have to be Link. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be the Legend of Zelda so that part wouldn't change.

I think a character like Zelda or maybe some Gerudo warrior would be cool. But only if it was an online component, it would be weird having a split screen co-op component in a Zelda game.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
It would be a new twist for Nintendo to put on a LoZ game and 1 that I've always wanted to see, so what if their is a screen split just the thought of having a co-op LoZ game shows that Nintendo is trying to make their more familt oriented.

It would be a new twist for Nintendo to put on a LoZ game and 1 that I've always wanted to see, so what if their is a screen split just the thought of having a co-op LoZ game shows that Nintendo is trying to make their more familt oriented.
I don't understand what you're trying to say at the end but I don't see how co-op split screen would be more family oriented. We also have to look at degradation of the graphics and processing, can the WiiU even handle a feature like this on one console?
It would be fun yeah but also very tedious to operate, if Zelda was a shooter then yes.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I think Nintendo tried to make a LoZ shooter and that was Link's Crossbow Training which in my opinion wasn't a very good game but still relatively fun. Who says it's going to on the Wii U it could be released on the Wii having a Co-op LoZ would make so more than 1 person could play thus having some way of family bonding which Nintendo typically does with most of the Wii games.

Pie Master

Master of cakes and pies
Somewhere in the jungles of Qoetzacotloal's
The controls in PH were like the one you're describing (for the Goron kid) and the controls for Kafei in MM (don't really know because I never played that far) should have been like that too, but I support this idea, it should create a whole new spin to the games :)

Personally I have always wanted to have a two-player Zelda game, like the 1st player would be Link and the 2nd player would be some sort of side kick, like they don't have to be there to do specific things, but they could just help out and have some small offensive move.

Dracoburn

Lance's Protégé
I think it would be plausible if done like Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, where Spyro had a female counterpart(Cynder), where the two could both be optimized and could be used either seperately(with the unused one acting on its own, but the possibility of switching being available) or used by two people in a two-player mode.

But the series seems very dependant on maintaining Link, and only Link, as the hero and protagonist, so I'm not holding my breath.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
But the series seems very dependant on maintaining Link, and only Link, as the hero and protagonist, so I'm not holding my breath.

Pretty much this. The closest to what you have described that's out at the moment is Four Swords, it has 4 Links but I'd doesn't exactly fit in to what has been described in this thread.

Fig

The Altruist
I would like to play a Zelda game with 2 player action! I would buy that game for me and my baby brother! We both love The Legend of Zelda with a passion!

Actually, there are several games in the series in which two or more playable characters were available, albeit with strict limitations. Such instances include Kafei (MM), Medli and Makar (WW), Four Links (FS/FSA) and, Zelda (ST). However, like I've already mentioned, those instances were very limited. Although, the four transformation masks in MM technically operated as four separate "players", each with its own set of individual strengths, weaknesses, and abilities... I guess it would be neat if there were a two-player game with controls that are on par with Link.

Regarding co-op play in particular, aside from FS/FSA, very few instances come to mind where it is possible in the series. To my recollection, the "Reuniting Kafei and Anju" side-quest in MM where Link and Kafei work in tandem (for a short time) to infiltrate Sakon's hideout comes to mind. Other instances involve controlling Zelda in ST and to a lesser degree the usage of the Command Melody in WW. In spite of the degree of control over Zelda (ST), I still find each aforementioned instance of co-op play to be very limiting.

At any rate, none of the above can truly be considered two-player games, as neither really involves two players sharing the screen simultaneously, save for FS/FSA. Perhaps Nintendo will produce a side game that features two-player [co-op], but I highly doubt any future installments in the series will include multiplayer/co-op play to the degree that FS/FSA provided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom