• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What Do You Hate/Dislike About BOTW?

My dislikes:

- Lack of traditional dungeons. I didn't mind the divine beasts, but the game needed at least 4 other 'traditional' dungeons as well as those.
- Blood moon cutscene playing every time it happens - I know you can skip it, but it still stops what you are doing either way. They could have easily amended this, with some sort of sound effect and visual effect instead of playing the cutscene each and every time. For the first time it was fine. But after then, no.
- Weapon durability - discussed a lot and with good reason.
- Shrines looking aesthetically the same - there's 120 of them, and for all of them to have that futuristic look is dull as hell. I wish the futuristic look accounted for a quarter of them, with the other 3 quarters taken up by 3 other designs. There could be aztec/explorer-like ones, and medieval/castle-like ones for example.
- ENEMIES THAT COME OUT OF NOWHERE - by this I mean, stal enemies coming out of the ground, chuchus, and most of all, the damn yiga clan. Seriously annoys me when I'm trying to relax and explore areas, only to be distracted by pointless fights. Other enemies are fine as you just avoid them, but those that pop up out of nowhere seriously annoy me in terms of trying to explore.
- Guardians - Ok, guardians can be cool. But some areas have way too many of them. Hyrule Castle for example. I see why, but at the same time it makes it hard to explore the castle, when I wanna explore so bad. Either way though, by far the worst kinds of guardians are guardian stalkers. I've mixed feelings about guardians really, they are cool and look cool and if in the mood they are fine, but on the other hand they can seriously ruin exploration. Like I couldn't even explore ranch ruins until I was introduced to ancient arrows.
- Rain - obvious reasons really. Another thing that ruins exploration.
- 1 hit KO's at the beginning of the game - ok, this was only a problem at the start of the game, where, some enemies in certain areas, without warning, would 1-hit KO you. Repeating myself here, but another thing that seriously ruins exploration. On the plus side though, this was only an issue to start off with, then you just get stronger and stronger, so all is good in the end, but at the start I was annoyed because I wanted to explore.
- The 10,000 year gap. If 10,000 years passed with say, the last game in the timeline to BOTW, then it wouldn't be as bad, but the issue here is that the 10,000 year gap passes between the first calamity ganon war, and BOTW itself. This seems very silly IMO, because that means that there was nothing but calamity ganon for 10,000 years. Some people think they did this to free themselves up for the series, but if anything it restricts them because it has to be calamity ganon during that time now. Or does it? 1000 years would have been much better than 10k.
- Lag - Kakariko village and Korok forest seriously lag on my version of the game. Like, really bad.

Just to be clear, I like the game a lot. But these, IMO, were the flaws.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
- Guardians - Ok, guardians can be cool. But some areas have way too many of them. Hyrule Castle for example. I see why, but at the same time it makes it hard to explore the castle, when I wanna explore so bad. Either way though, by far the worst kinds of guardians are guardian stalkers. I've mixed feelings about guardians really, they are cool and look cool and if in the mood they are fine, but on the other hand they can seriously ruin exploration. Like I couldn't even explore ranch ruins until I was introduced to ancient arrows.
While I found them a hassle sometimes, I thought in the Hyrule Castle area they added a lot to the vibe, mystery, and danger of the castle. If it didn't have them it would be much less dangerous, exciting, fun, and be just plain boring

The fact that there is a fire/lava based biome in the game, several ice based biomes, even a water based biome, but no electricity based biome except arguably the shrines.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Mostly getting weapons in shrines just to find out I had no empty slots left for it. Best-case scenario was usually that the weapon had good enough atk that I'd have to manually look for whatever had lowest stats, then equip it and throw it to pick up the new one. This was never a big deal, but always felt more time-consuming than it was worth.

Worse case scenario was when weapons in chests weren't better than anything I had, which takes significant wind out of any satisfaction I might get out of solving puzzles, of which I personally already don't get much of. I can always avoid that in the future just by not doing shrines though.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Mostly getting weapons in shrines just to find out I had no empty slots left for it. Best-case scenario was usually that the weapon had good enough atk that I'd have to manually look for whatever had lowest stats, then equip it and throw it to pick up the new one. This was never a big deal, but always felt more time-consuming than it was worth.
There was a 'drop weapon' option...

I don’t really hate much about it other than when it rains and starts to lightning. I don’t like having to unequip stuff over and over during lightning storms. Also rain makes it so hard to climb.

Usurper King Zant

King of Twilight
The weapon durability was annoying because in any serious battle you would break 5 swords, 2 bows and a club. I understand that the skeleton hand is fragile, but that the royal sword breaks after a few blows, c'mon!
I hated the blood moon, since there is no levelling I don't see the point of grinding (apart from collecting ingredients) - also, the cutscene that interfered with whatever you were doing at the moment was stupid.
The dragons have no real effect in the game apart from getting scales and parts from them. I wish there was more to it.

On the other hand, I really loved the shield surfing idea.
And loved the fact that you could have ypur own house, if only it was a bit more customize-able.

Usurper King Zant

King of Twilight
Yes, Naydra, but that was one-off.
I'm talking about the fact they didn't contribute to the story enough. There are shrines, but getting scales? Could've made it a bit more interesting.

You are right. There was so much potential they could have used. If there is a sequel coming I hope they use dragons some way. Or if it's a prequel they could use the dragons to explain some spots on the map e.g. the dual peak mountain or that whole in the mountain in tundra region. One form of Ganon was a dragon as well so there could have been some battle between the dragons perhaps. That would have been nice to know.

In case next zelda is related to BotW, I see that lacking of a story is justified. Otherwise the missing story is what I dislike a bit about BotW.

above all the lack of actual real dungeons (which i consider as a very important part of a Zelda game) because i do not consider the divine beast as dungeons, for one way and way too small, plus they all look the same and there mechanics were exactly the same and the same applied for their bosses with the minor difference of elements and some of the attacks they had, so overall on that part variety was actually non-existant

some other parts suffered from non-variety as well but dungeonwise it was by far the worst

it is not that i disliked the game, that is not the case, i enjoyed myself with it for sure (but would certainly not mind them returning back to how it was in previous games with more linearity in it), but the overworld might have been a bit smaller and the number of shrines considerably lower in favor for actual real dungeons because of course it would be one or the other and not one and the other

i also missed (the) (some of) items of previous games, which were replaced by runes, the runes were not bad (it is not like that) but a little few in numbers in my opinion, there could/shoud have been more of them, but i still would prefer the items any day

Lack of story, lack of good graphics, terrible voice acting, mechanics, etc. I played BoTW for a little while but I got bored/confused so I completely stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom