• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What Do You Hate/Dislike About BOTW?

What I dislike about BotW is the dungeons they were too small and boss were too easy to kill. I would like to see in the next game is bigger more difficult dungeons and bosses. Something like from TP and SS. I did enjoy doing Link's divine beast and trial of the sword those reminds me more of a Zelda game. Not saying BotW isn't well done I still do enjoy playing it.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
What I dislike about BotW is the dungeons they were too small and boss were too easy to kill. I would like to see in the next game is bigger more difficult dungeons and bosses. Something like from TP and SS. I did enjoy doing Link's divine beast and trial of the sword those reminds me more of a Zelda game. Not saying BotW isn't well done I still do enjoy playing it.

I noticed that too, until I got good enough, I actually considered Guardians and Major Tests of Strength harder enemies than the Divine beast bosses. generally speaking, if you can beat a boss in one run with relative ease, its not hard enough. you should at least have some trouble with the boss unless you're really good.

I hate that it feels so far removed from traditional Zelda (not how it plays, I'm fine with that) in terms of lore.

I play Zelda with a genuine interest to see what befalls Hyrule with each game. I want to know which new evil is added to the history of the world, which characters will shape the future etc... i only usually have a problem when games like SS retcon a handfull of games all at once.

BotW is different though. The story was basic but i didnt mind it, could have been more detailed but i liked the ideas that it brought like the Beasts and Champions and it was nice to see a Ganon that wasnt the D-man.
But my problem is that the story takes place so far away from everything that came before in Zelda that it just doesnt matter.

BotW has a 10,000 year backstory, plus however long between whatever game actually did come before it (which could be another 10, 20 or even 100,000) years if Nintendo wanted. I'm pretty sure that all the Zelda games combined on the established timeline didnt hit 10,000 years worth of Hyrule's history. This means that NOTHING botw brings to the history of Hyrule actually MATTERS. It is too far removed.

Aonuma and Shigsy clearly never had a timeline and buckled under pressure and haphazardly made one. One that they clearly dont wanna be bound to so they placed BotW so far into the future that it doesnt matter what happens. Coupling this with random name drops for random places with no history or lore to them other than names (which just makes them feel like cheap references rather than callbacks to lore) makes BotW as a whole feel like Aonuma and company just didnt care.

I understand wanting a fresh start from the mess that is the Zelda timeline and lore but it feels like they just tossed it aside like it doesnt matter at all and never did.

Hyrule matters to me, Aonuma. It matters that it got flooded, matters that there have been wars, matters that Ganon flattened the place, it builds character for the land, builds history we're all a part of... BotW just starts fresh and we can draw on nothing from the past because it is handled as if none of it happened.

This distancing of lore only served to distance me and stopped me from fully enjoying the game because no matter what did or had happened in the game it just didnt matter. It made it feel as of this was a game to press buttons rather than a game to be invested in.

I hated that.

Last edited:

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
There wasn't any connection with the other Zelda games aside from a few names, species

After speaking to a friend it was pointed out to me that dungeon weren't too small but much a like, the dungeons were lacking certain puzzle elements that we were use to seeing intraditional Zelda games. This was true and made sense to me. So I am changing my opinion on that and saying they are too much a like. Not that it was a major issue because it wasn't it was something really small and thinking about not really worth mentioning.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
After speaking to a friend it was pointed out to me that dungeon weren't too small but much a like, the dungeons were lacking certain puzzle elements that we were use to seeing intraditional Zelda games. This was true and made sense to me. So I am changing my opinion on that and saying they are too much a like. Not that it was a major issue because it wasn't it was something really small and thinking about not really worth mentioning.

Both are true. They don't play like dungeons at all and in terms of size, they're a bit smaller than OoT's mini dungeons. Because of this, I wouldn't even consider them dungeons at all.

MW7

I hate the rain a lot and think the weapons breaking and inventory system should have been done differently. The rain was beyond infuriating. There were times when I climbed a tree with 3 wheels of stamina by jump climbing, falling down, and jumping again to get slightly higher about 8 times just to reach the top of a short tree. This is faster than building a fire to move past the rain. So stupid.

I don't know what I'd do to fix the inventory system and weapons breaking without changing a lot, but it's just frustrating to have shields breaking from surfing, breaking weapons all the time, opening chests and not having any room, etc. For one suggestion whenever you open a chest, if it's a weapon, bow, or shield, the game shouldn't tell you that you don't have room and close the chest. It should have brought up the inventory screen and given you the option to swap out the contents of the chest for something in your inventory or leave it. This was so annoying that I got to the point where I rooted for every chest to have rupees or clothes in it.

As far as major complaints, I think there could have been more Divine Beasts and that the Divine Beasts should have been bigger, longer, and been more comparable to prior Zelda dungeons. There are so many regions in the game, and I don't get why they went with 4. Why can't Akkala, Faron, Hebra, or Necluda have one? How cool would it have been to have a shark Divine Beast in Lurelin Village or a yeti Divine Beast in Hebra?

My other major complaint is that combat shrines are just filler and were a major disappointment every time I entered a shrine only to see I'm fighting the same enemy as always. Other than the Kakariko training one, there's no fun to be had fighting these guardians over and over in my opinion. Once you understand the pattern, it's just tedious filler that you do to complete all the shrines. Blessing shrines were generally okay because you usually had to solve an overworld puzzle or do something unique to reach it.

Also just for the record, I loved the relative lack of story. Overall despite these complaints I thought the game was amazing and definitely one of the best Zelda games.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
There are a few things I didn't like about BotW but one thing I did absolutely hate was the weapon degeneration. It's a mechanic I don't like in pretty much any game, but here it was the worst I've ever seen it. Weapons break far, far, too quickly. The effect this had for me was of avoiding combat almost entirely. Why engage enemies if doing so will break most of my weapons? When I found nice or more powerful weapons I didn't want to use them at all because I knew they'd break after one or two small fights, and I ended up hoarding weapons I wanted to use without ever using them. This led to me running low on inventory space, space I could only expand by hunting Korok seeds which very quickly seemed to make up the bulk of the game's content. I know not everyone will have responded to the system the way I did, but the fact that weapons break so quickly in this game destroyed any sense of enjoyment I could get from it at all. It turned my gameplay loop into grinding Korok seeds so I could hoard more useless weapons.

What exacerbates my hatred of this system is how easily it could have been adjusted to make it work. I would suggest three changes: 1. Increase the durability of weapons somewhat 2. Blacksmiths 3. An unbreakbale ore.

First, increase the amount of hits a weapon can perform before breaking. Simple as that. Weapons in the game were breaking every one or two fights for me. If I saw a group of three or four enemies I knew I'd lose at least one, possibly two, of my melee weapons. I do think some weapons should be more durable than others (rusty swords, for example, make sense to break faster than a soldier's claymore), but all weapons, generally, should last at least a bit longer so they don't feel as disposable.

Second, have blacksmiths located in towns and villages, maybe at the stables, too, who can repair weapons for a fee. It would fit in seamlessly with the world and provide a useful service for the player. This way you could keep weapons you like, at a cost. If a weapon breaks completely perhaps you could keep (or recover) the pieces and have it reforged, a more expensive service but one which, again, would remove the incentive to avoid combat. You're weapons will break, but you can keep them if you have the cash for it. Blacksmiths could also be used to give weapons temporary enhancements, such as sharpening a blade so it does more damage, for example. The blade will dull with use, but it would be an added dimension to combat. This would also make rupees more useful overall throughout the course of the game.

Third, include a special item, some kind of ore found only in one specific place in the world, perhaps tied to a side-quest, that can be taken to a smith and used to make any weapon of your choice indestructible. But only one. Once you've used this ore, it's gone. If the ore is located somewhere difficult to reach, or protected by powerful enemies, or the reward for a late game side-quest, the player will have plenty of time to use a wide variety of weapons before acquiring it (ostensibly the reason for weapon degeneration in the first place) and will have likely found either a specific weapon they like best, or a type, such as axes, or spears. Having one weapon you can always rely on would feel very empowering after a long adventure of weapons breaking and being repaired. And it'd give people like me, who don't like weapon degeneration, a rock to cling to.

Also dungeons. This game has no dungeons (Divine Beasts are Big Shrines and you all know it). Dungeons are the backbone of Zelda for me, and not having any made BotW barely worth playing at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom