• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What Do You Hate/Dislike About BOTW?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
What I dislike about the game? KOROK SEEDS. I love the game till pieces. I thought it was one of the best games I ever played but.....after you're done, you're just done. All you can do is completing your compendium by taking a) pics yourself or b) buy pics from Symin. Of course you ccould do some treasure hunting (reminds me a bit of the WW lightning rings treasure hunting) and collect these -sigh- koroks. It just feels like after such a big adventure there is nothing left to do. Check this massive overworld and find enemies, enemies and oh yes, more enemies.

Aku

Second DLC- Now don't get me wrong, I liked the fact that we did get a second DLC and that it helped flesh out the Champions more. But, and this is a BIG BUT- I didn't like that it was set in the 'middle' of the story instead of fleshing out the ending more. Zelda's comment about Vah Ruta no longer working really had me hoping that we'd get a DLC clearing up 'why' that was happening and what it could mean. Tying in the back history of the Champions could have worked well with solving the mystery of the DBs, maybe the DBs could only work with a Champion, or it could be that it's a failsafe to prevent the DB from going 'rogue' during times of peace (that is, when Ganon's not around) since they have their own AIs. Unless the devs will be releasing a third DLC or that the next game will 'flesh out' the DBs, then I think this DLC should have been used to wrap up this mystery instead of still leaving it hang.

Ganon- I didn't think the character of Ganon or his fight was really fleshed out enough. The first part of the fight ('Calamity Ganon') was done really well, it does have a nice build up to it. It showed this ancient creature that plagued Hyrule time and time again, and the fact that they even built machines against him was also epic. However, they went far enough to muddy the history around him, but ultimately in a way they didn't really bring anything new about him either. 'Legends' and 'Fairytales' aren't all that interesting when you could point to a game and say 'Hey, this actually happened, it's not a myth.' I think they should have continued with the evolution of 'what' he is, so he doesn't appear to be a baddie with no 'growth' left or is a static character. I personally liked in Hyrule Warriors the idea that his Beast/Demon form was actually what he truly was, his human form being a 'decayed' form he had to take or a mortal body his essence indwelt to avoid being destroyed. If he was revealed to be something like this, it's easier for me to buy that he's this ancient primal evil, a being that is born out of a demon king's pure hatred and so powerful that he theoretically could best even the God's themselves.

Lack of an actual End of the World scenario- If you are going to intimate throughout the game and from Zelda that Ganon's going to destroy the world and that you'd better hurry up, then have that be a very real possibility. It was done in MM if you goofed off, and obviously there should be a way for you to periodically 'delay' Ganon's revival, but you should feel the pressure. Lack of this was something that I didn't like, knowing that I could take all of the time in the world even during DB Ganon's fight and Zelda repeatedly finding the strength to hold on at the last minute killed all of the tension for me. If she can hold on forever, then where's the sense of doom?

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I didnt like the one hit part of dlc and the rain and the fact that ganon didnt seem to be very concerned with wrecking tje world more than hyrule castle. ...

I really don't like the fact that you don't really get the chance to explore a whole lot early in the game. By that I mean that you have 3 or 4 hearts so you can't get past most of the enemies.

900 Korok ****s
I hate them as a collective and every single one individually, even the ones I did not find. Worst part is you cant even kill these enemies. I even tried ancient arrows.

The Cut Scenes
Boring and pointless. Horrid voice acting. Don't care for your dumb story Nintendo.

Useless and Pointless Characters.
Zelda, Revali, Daruk, Urbosa, Mipha, Kass and Beedle. I hate them all. Waste of game code.

The Champion Abilities
What an insult. Yeah right, I'm gonna spend my time in the game getting better only for the game to reward me with a feature that dumbs it down and makes it easier. Good thing there is an option to turn them all off. I don't want to hear their stupid voices either. The bigger insult is paying for the DLC getting a great challenge only to be rewarded with "enhanced" versions that dumb the game down even more.

Pelison
This little crook tried to charge me 2000 rupees for a diamond. Dude, I can get them much cheaper from a Talus.

Bolson
Stay off my lawn. Too bad we cant kill NPCs, what an oversight by Nintendo.

Motion Control Shrines
What was Nintendo thinking. This is perhaps one of the biggest flaws with the game. I imagine in 15 years from now when Nintendo releases a 4K remastered version of Breath of the Wild on whatever console they are selling these shrines will be the first thing to go, replaced with all new or modified shrines that don't require motion control use.

Last edited:
HOW. DARE. YOU. Hat
900 Korok ****s
I hate them as a collective and every single one individually, even the ones I did not find. Worst part is you cant even kill these enemies. I even tried ancient arrows.

The Cut Scenes
Boring and pointless. Horrid voice acting. Don't care for your dumb story Nintendo.

Useless and Pointless Characters.
Zelda, Revali, Daruk, Urbosa, Mipha, Kass and Beedle. I hate them all. Waste of game code.

The Champion Abilities
What an insult. Yeah right, I'm gonna spend my time in the game getting better only for the game to reward me with a feature that dumbs it down and makes it easier. Good thing there is an option to turn them all off. I don't want to hear their stupid voices either. The bigger insult is paying for the DLC getting a great challenge only to be rewarded with "enhanced" versions that dumb the game down even more.

Pelison
This little crook tried to charge me 2000 rupees for a diamond. Dude, I can get them much cheaper from a Talus.

Bolson

HOW. DARE.YOU. Hating Koroks is fine, I guess, but why even play the game if you hate Riju, Sidon, Mipha, Kass, and Beetle? And the others you listed. I mean, Revali IS awful, but hating Bolson? That is like, the WORST thing ever for you to do. How dare you call yourself "Link" or even just "The Hero".

Even octoroks and chuchu have more value and have better personalities than those characters I listed. Take them out and nothing is missed. In fact the game becomes better automatically if they did not exist.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Bolson
They'd just regenerate every Blood Moon. :right:

But yeah, the NPCs are pretty terrible in general. Bolson is annoying, but not nearly as bad as Blynne is if Link fails the hurdle minigame. It's not the player's fault that the horse controls are unpolished (compared to RDR or something) so he doesn't have to rub salt in the wounds.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
1) The empty world. This has to be the emptiest, most boring overworld I've ever had to suffer. I know Open Worlds are infamous for their giant worlds, but usually they have activity and/or a quick method to travel to certain areas before fast travel is unlocked (i.e. carriages). Not only is BOTW's world insanely dull, but you can't even bypass it and just go for the meat.

2) Trying to merge Zelda with Open World. Not just because they sacrificed the core Zelda formula to give us yet another Open World title, but because the two don't mesh together at all. Nintendo is completely out of their element here. They have yet to make a 3D Zelda game with a good overworld. Every single 3D Zelda has been heavily criticized for their poor overworlds, particularly games with larger overworlds like Wind Waker. So instead of honing their skills and practicing on making a good overworld before ballooning it to this ridiculous proportion, they just dive right in and screw it up.

Zelda has never had a story focus and has always been very easy. That's fine for traditional Zelda, but that doesn't work for Open Worlds, which are story focused and rely on a reasonable amount of difficulty to get the player to explore organically. Not only did they refuse to step it up a bit, they actually made the story weaker and the combat even easier. So how do they get players to explore? They hand you off a checklist (memories and hearts for the MS) to complete if you want to complete the main quest. There's nothing organic about that. It's completely lazy design.

You want a player to explore the world organically on their own terms? First make a world that's interesting to explore. Fill it with surprises and interesting secrets/lore to discover. Next make the Main Quest reasonably challenging, so the player stops for a moment and decides that maybe they should explore and gain power so they don't constantly get their asses handed to them. They do neither in BOTW. The world is filled with so much copy/pasted content that any sense of discovery is almost immediately killed. The game is ridiculously easy even by Zelda standards and there's no incentive to get strong.

Fighting Ganon straight from the Plateau should be an insane challenge that only the best gamers are capable of doing, yet I'm a scrub and it felt easier than your typical 3 heart challenge boss. If you do the bare amount of the Main Quests (Divine Beasts), he loses half of his health and you can stun lock him into oblivion. Where's the incentive to go out and explore when you're already way too powerful? What reason is there unless you want to complete the "Full Main Quest"?

It's ridiculous that they just tried to merge the same Zelda approach with Open World and just assumed it'd work in any environment. It won't. Having a game with little story, no freedom, and low difficulty is fine for a dungeon crawler that focuses primarily on puzzles anyway, but it isn't going to work in an Open World setting that focuses on story and freedom so much that it's become synonymous with RPGs.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
@DarkestLink your tryhard demands for difficulty would be more believable if your signature didn't say you hate LoZ, AoL, and ALttP the most--Zelda games with actual difficulty. (: (: :)

I didn't say I hate them lol. Except aLttP, but that's piss easy. And again, difficulty isn't always necessary. It's not needed for the traditional Zelda formula where exploration is generally absent and there's nothing even close to a leveling system.

Hell I think the difficulty is the main redeeming feature in AoL, which largely suffers from being an outdated game.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom