• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What do you do when you cant sleep?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I try to sleep anyway. Every night I have sleep issues, unless I'm backpacking/camping. I sleep best with the ground as my bed.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I try harder I guess? I just like adjust myself into a better more comfortable position, like the kind where your head just sinks into the pillow, and I try to lay in a position where I don’t feel any need to move. Then I just lay like that taking in that feeling of comfort until I fall asleep.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
If the option is there, I get drunk. I usually oversleep when I'm intoxicated though so there's a downside to using that method. Other than that I usually just play music if I have trouble sleeping. I don't know how that works but it does.

funnier6

Courage~
If I can’t sleep I usually have a few things I do such as staying up as late as I let myself reading a book or messing around on ZD and normally I get sleepy pretty fast. Having my fan on always helps me sleep cause I like a little noise so that’s another downside to winter. At least being under a ton of blankets helps too.

What’s really bad for me is when I wake up in the middle of the night and can’t go back to sleep cause it’s terribly hard sometimes, this is relevant cause it just happened to me last night, the biggest set off for me is to check the time and unfortunately I noticed it was 4 am and was stuck trying to sleep for at least half an hour, probably would’ve been longer if the heater hadn’t come on and lulled me to sleep. Ten times worse when you’re sick.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
I'm always able to get to sleep one way or another. If I ever go all night without sleeping, it's always 20-30% on purpose because a brand new game or show is just soooo good. Feel free to try some of these. I find they agree somewhat with what medical professionals usually say.
  1. Exercise. Yes, even if its 4am. Sometimes I just ate too much sugar, or I'm excited about something, and the only way to get rid of that energy is to physically get moving! I'll usually do some jumping jacks, then maybe a bout of sit-ups, and I'll fall right asleep afterward.
  2. Take care of my other vitals. Am I hungry, dehydrated, or have to go to the bathroom, and I don't realize it? Is it just too hot or cold?
  3. Play some kind of mindless puzzle game, like sudoku, crossword, or picross. The mental activity wears my brain out my brain, as long as what I'm doing isn't too exciting. Just be sure to not do so on LED screen. The 3DS was great for this.
  4. Put on a boring podcast. Or whatever, as long as a screen isn't shining and the thing ends at some point. I usually find this irritating, but its worked a couple of times, especially if I'm too excited to fall asleep.
  5. Clean my room. Perhaps my messy room is bothering me. At the very least, it gets me doing something mindless.
  6. Call my girlfriend. We all get lonely sometimes, right? Just be sure to text her first, to make sure she's not already asleep.
  7. Sleep on the floor? Hey, don't knock it till you try it. Even if it doesn't feel comfortable right away, sometimes a firm surface makes for a really good night's sleep
  8. If all else fails, I just try lying on my back and not moving or thinking. Maybe I was just waiting for myself to feel sleepy when I didn't need too?
I rarely have issues sleeping anyway, and ninety-nine times out of a hundred, step 1 works like a charm. I only have to resort to the other steps if step 1 isn't an option.

---

funnier6 said:
What’s really bad for me is when I wake up in the middle of the night and can’t go back to sleep cause it’s terribly hard sometimes
Yeah, I can rarely get back to sleep then. I usually go for 7 hours, but if I got at least 3 hours before I woke up, I find it gets me through the day anway, especially if its an isolated occurance.

Last edited:

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Somehow I take forever to fall back asleep at night, but in the morning all I have to do is stay in bed for 2 more minutes. Luckily, I can usually just hop out of bed each morning, tired or not

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I first try to just relax, maybe make up a story in my head while I lie in a comfortable position with my eyes closed. If that fails, I try to read or watch something tire me out. And if there just is no sleeping. I get back up for a little while and try again later.

Forcing myself will not work, the act alone will guaranteed keep me up. Now that I'm no longer forced to work early shifts and primarily work nights, I have less issues than I used to. I know that while I might not get the optimal amount of sleep, I'll still get a decent enough amount to function the next day. And not having that stress looming over me anymore helps me cope when I struggle to fall asleep. That at least I no longer have to get up in a few short hours.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I listen to instrumental tracks, it causes something called auditory stimulation, makes our mind more likely to sleep. If that doesn't work I try visual stimulation, that works in very rare cases however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom