• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What do you do to calm yourself?

linkman8

True and Noble
One thing that I've found lately is that I don't usually do much to actually calm myself, because my emotional stability is usually pretty stable to the point where people think it's odd that I don't get angry almost ever; I find that what I do most often is sober my thoughts. This may sound odd, but if I'm worked up internally for whatever reason, I listen to some music that's not sad, but not happy. Somewhere in the middle.

I usually just go to where I can be alone and I let my body do whatsoever it wants to do. I put music according to how I am feel and I try to let it out.

silent lion

ReDead
I either just go with my feelings and don't try to calm down at all (I prefer to control the symptoms than fight against or bottle in the actual emotions), or I do some Tai Chi. Tai Chi makes you feel fantastically peaceful, it's really quite wonderful.

It would really depend on what I was upset about, because there are few things that I really get mad about. I am normally the kinda guy who wouldn't really ask for advice for every problem I have. I would tell my friends about a problem, just to let them know or something, but only when I'm really upset about something to I ask for advice on it. But if I'm to the point to where I'm really mad, I just stay mad until I eventually calm down. I try and find things about the problem that make me not care about it anymore.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I take a walk, if I can - anything that can get me out in nature.

I feel like I'm never calmer than when I'm working on a piece of artwork or jewelry... or when I'm fishing. Just tossing a lure back and forth into the waters of my local creek, or working a fly is just very peace-making for me. Again, it's an out in nature thing, but there's also something about a repetative, yet potentially productive activity that does that for me (actually catching fish is a big bonus).

Also, once, when I was really angry and upset about something, I tried something that sounds very weird that I learned from people in the psychology profession: Chucking ice cubes into a bathtub. I'm serious! It helped just a little. There's something about throwing the ice cube violently into the tub and hearing them clink and crash that can "get out anger" in a way that doesn't hurt anyone.

But, mostly, for me, it's art and nature that helps me. A couple of years ago, I was undergoing some very bad things and... I think fishing might have saved my life.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Sleep it off. Always dulls it a bit. Then you can deal with it in another way more easily.

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
what do I do to calm myself?
*sleep-this definetely takes away the stress I'm dealing with.
*listen to music
*watch old episodes of yugioh
*play videogames
*daydream
*and eating a snack;)

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
What I do to calm myself:
  • Play easy videogames
    - So I don't lose easily and get even more angry. It calms me down a little.
  • Rest
    - It just works.
  • Listen to my favorite songs
    - Usually calm ones, or I just listen to Legend of Zelda music.
  • Release my anger in Wii Boxing.
    - :xd:
  • Grab a small snack.
    - Yum, it calms me down.
  • Take a walk
    - Chillax.
  • Drink some water + wash my face.
    - It relaxs me.
Those things usually calm me down, if they don't I just keep sleepin'. ;)

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Usually just sitting back and having a cup of coffee is enough to relax myself, but sometimes working with tools or building something works just as well. I'm usually pretty calm anyway.

Eat a handful of Valiums. It never fails.

No, really I play guitar, it can usually pull me from any mood I am in to being completely focused on what I am playing. I can at times listen to music, like Piano Man or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YgAw1G-4zY.

I from time to time get into severely violent moods, and really nothing pulls me from that. I have to pound a tree or the sidewalk for a bit, get that out until I can calm down.

bellum

Gamer since age 2
Calm Myself? Oh, I turn on the PS3, pick up the drumsticks, and start playing Rock Band. I love the drums. I just can't get used to hard on the guitar. I can't move over to the 5th button.

I listen to Phoenix Wright music especially from the new Ace Attorney Inverstigations: Miles Edgeworth.
But outside of home, I stop talking for a moment, and I'm all better, usually what gets me even madder is yapping on without end.

S

Silent Rain

I ride my scooter, listen to music or just sleep. I've been doing a lot of it since my parents divorced this week. Blah!
I would choose eating as one of those, but I'm diabetic so I can't just eat. >.<

E

emy

-take a hot bath/shower.
-cuddle up with my chihuahua and a nice cup of coffee and read a book.
-Smoke a cigarette... (ugh) and occasionally another, healthier type of smokable substance. ;)
-Yoga and/or Pilates.
-Meditate! Simple and effective. Especially with a nice vanilla or pumpkin spice candle burning nearby.

I'm sure I do other things, but these are the most common for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom