• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What did you learn in high school/college?

I have been thinking about what I actually learned in high school (and before) that I use in my life now. And my question is, what did you learn in high school (really learn - could discuss it intelligently in your 20s) that has been helpful in your adult life? What did you learn that you think has just used up space in your brain?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I forgot all the useless maths stuff like trigonometry so I can't say it has used up space in my brain.

But I learned a lot of science related things which I use in my life because I still read about it and kept an interest.

I remember very little from highschool as far as education goes, but it was a very bad time for me so what I remember most of was my social standing at the time.

At college, after taking a few years between highschool and odd jobs, i studied media and really enjoyed it. I remember most of it but it is completely useless to me now and I wish I hadn't done it.

Last edited:
Remember in college I hated all these paperworks. I had to combine work and study and at the same time I had to do all these writing works for college. It was incredibly hard and I applied to essays online services as an option. Now I work in IT, not sure how that happened. :shrugs:

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I barely remember anything from High School. I mainly just remember the things I learned in Science related classes, Physics, Biology, etc... Aside from that, World History. Those were my favorite subjects so I never really let that info slip from my memory.

I'd say English Composition too, but to be honest I've become a better writer while in College than I was back in Highschool. I think that is due in large to Highschool writing being approached like it has a prescribed format. I was taught there was a basic template every essay should follow. The opening paragraph should be shaped intellectually like an inverted pyramid. Start broad, then narrow down to a specific thesis. Three paragraphs afterward should support the thesis. Each of those paragraphs should start with a thesis sentence. The conclusion would be shaped like an upright pyramid, starting with a specific point and then expanding out, and ending with a broad concluding statement that opens up what the essay implies. 12 years of grade school and I left thinking writing is formulaic, and I think everyone probably left Highschool thinking the same thing, atleast if they are from America.

Last edited:

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I think much of what you learn at school isn't so obvious but it slowly builds you into who you are.

In terms of academic stuff I guess the Japanese I learned I use everyday now, plus some of the IT related skills are handy now and again. I also spent a lot of time working on talking in front of large crowds during school and building my confidence which has certainly helped me out since then.

Ninja

Well well well
Academically I learned a lot about the medical field. I learned teamwork and comraderie while playing football, which really helped my social skills.

The best thing I learned from high school though is that you have to apply yourself if you are chosen to study in a speciality program. It’s so easy to procrastinate and let your grades slip, you really have to be intentional.

Zachie

Moo
Honestly.. not a lot? I don't remember a lot of the stuff that I learned at school.. it takes me doing things quite often for me to keep in knowledge so school was pretty much a waste lol.

I remember some random trivia from history class, especially about the 20th century. I really enjoy modern history.

I obviously remember all the basic arithmetic from algebra. But I don't remember that much from geometry or calculus. The only thing that stuck to me was how to do derivatives and integrals because I needed those in my chem classes in university.

The most I remember is from chemistry because it's my major. Important chemical structures, significant figures, balancing chemical equations, the list of strong acids and bases are things I have in memory.

From biology, I mostly remember genetics. Most of bio didn't interest me besides that. As for physics, I barely remember anything.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I think in high school I learned to be more confident in myself and that eventually led to me being happier with who I am, even though my body may not look how I want it to be and my antisocial general dislike of people who annoy me is still troublesome, I feel like I have benefited from my experiences. good and bad.

Everything you learn at school, you will forget within 10 years. Unless it had a significant impact on you.

Languages, in particular. It helps a lot if you speak even a bit French and/or German (at least in Europe it is) next to English when you are abroad. In fact, I almost regret not taking Spanish courses as well.

Besides, I have learnt some from history lessons, not because I know the dates by hard but I do still roughly know the most important things that have happened in the past. That really helps putting the events that occur today into perspective.

The most useless things that I had to learn are mathematics and literature study... I really do not use this at all anymore. Which for mathematics is especially a shame because i struggled a lot with it.

To be honest, I also learned a lot from the side job that i had, it taught me a lot about working in general, dealing with colleagues, dealing with customers (which was difficult at first but you have to deal with them, even if you're shy), and just the more "practical" stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom