• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time What Did You Hate About Ocarina of Time?

What did you hate about Ocarina of Time?

• Navi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water Temple

• Starting back from Temple of Time/Kokiri Forest

• Other

• Total voters

SuperGanondorf

Ballos's Minion
Well, I had a hard time with the Water Temple with a walkthrough and map in front of me. But I didn't care at all for the Skulltula sidequest. Yeah, finding some for unique items was fun, but finding them all is not enjoyable in the least, since there is no hint system or any indication of where to round up the last few. I like MM's Skulltula Houses much, much better- the house is full of Skulltulas and though they can be tricky, you don't have to comb over a vast gameworld to find them. Other than that, however, the game (which you all just lost, by the way) is brilliant.

Linkerjuax

Bongo-Bongo
Hmm..Two words: Water Temple, I cannot describe with words how much I hate the Water temple but the good thing is that after beating the Water temple you can access to the Shadow temple :D

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
OoT is my favorite Zelda, so there's not much I don't like. I still hate the Water Temple, as it still annoys me even though I now know how do complete it (kind of... I still don't know where exactly to go, but I do know the basics). I half-hate the starting at Kokiri Forest/Temple of Time, and by "half-hate" I simply mean that starting at the Temple of Time doesn't bother me, because it's in a fairly convenient spot, combined with using warp songs and Epona make it not a bad place to start. Starting in Kokiri Forest is irritating because when you're a kid and actually need to use Child Link you don't have warp songs and you never have Epona as a child, and running places takes like 85 years.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Though OoT is quite high in my list of favourite Zelda games (I only like aLttP and MM more) there are some things that annoyed me a bit:
- The very slow introduction: Before facing off your first enemy, you have to watch a long cutscene, look for a sword and grind for lots of rupees for a shield. Then there are just a few pathetic Deku Babas and you have to witness another long cutscene before you can finally enter the first dungeon which also has few weak enemies. This takes about 15-20 minutes. If you're used to earlier Zelda games this gets boring. Fx in aLttP, you already face a lot of enemies in Hyrule castle when you're about 2 minutes into the game (and you can easily die there if you're not careful), you simply have to leave your house, walk up to the castle, get your sword and you're all set and ready to go.
- The emptiness of the overworld, especially Hyrule Field. No enemies besides some random peahats and stalchildren at night, only a few trees scattered around the place and a small brook, all that in a huge field. Even TP's often-critizised large overworld didn't feel that empty to me. Again, this is probably me being used to the highly vivid and diversed overworld of aLttP. But hey, it was the first 3D Zelda so you wouldn't expect everything to be perfect, MM already did a much better job with that.

Minor:
- As many of you already said, getting from A to B as child Link takes ages because there's no warping or Epona or even a functional Bunny Hood. The time between first leaving Kokiri Forest and reaching Castle Town before dawn was calculated very tightly (you could make it in time by rolling though). They could've done it like in aLttP (at least in the Light World) and let you choose to start from certain different places you've already visited before.
- Navi's constant reminders about going to the next dungeon when you're on a sidequest. Let me do my sidequest already, the dungeon can wait, K? And her Captain Obvious-like behaviour in the first dungeon ("You can climb up vines!/open doors!" etc.)
- Kaepora Gaebora's senseless, redundant and unskippable "information"
- The iron boots and the way they had to be equipped

On that occasion I have to add that for me, the Water Temple was one of the high points of the entire game, finally a dungeon that made full use of the 3D and where you had to think a little to advance. I'll really really hate Nintendo if they water it down (no pun intended) in the 3DS release. They should just make the iron boots a C-Button item or otherwise easier to switch on/off but they should not turn the Water Temple into an easy-peasy cakewalk just to please every last preschooler that might toss the game aside if it isn't 100% linear and some backtracking is needed.

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
The scarecrow song....

Almost everywhere you could make the scarecrow pop out, if you played your song...
But if you went went back in time, the game would undo your song...
It was annoying to talk to the same scarecrow before going to the future....

But thats just me....

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
A way to keep that from happening is to roll all the way to the castle. Just be sure you do full speed rolls (by this I mean if you hit A again too quickly he'll only roll at half the speed & distance so it becomes counterproductive) and you'll get to the castle before night hits. It looks a little silly but I do this on that first trip and get to the drawbridge in time to grab both rupees at the top of the chains then slip into the castle before the bridge goes up.

I meant when I first play it. But yeah that trick is true

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I really hated that you couldn't use the spirit medallions as weapons like in Alttp, now that I think about, I believe that is the only flaw I see in this masterpiece of gaming.

O

Oldewindmill

How's this for stupid: I managed to beat the game and figure out a lot of the water temple without a walkthrough, but I couldn't figure out how to get the stupid scarecrow song to WORK. AT ALL. Whenever I saw Navi turn green, I played it, but It did nothing. I know I played it right, because the screen said "You played Scarecrow's Song!" but the stupid scarecrow never popped up. I didn't know if I had to face the green fairy spot, or somehow target it, or something, but I couldn't figure it out. At all. to this day I am baffled, mostly because I haven't perused the answer that much.

But I never really found Navi annoying. I'm sure her "HEY! LISTEN!" would ware on me though If I played the game more than I already have (I only have one full playthrough done. I know. Blasphemous.), but I was really fine with it.

I didn't like constantly starting at the kokiri forest or the temple of time, And in truth I would have preferred a little menu to pop up asking where I'd like to start, kind of like in Alttp (though I can't remember if that menu popped up when you loaded a game or if it popped up when you pressed "continue" after getting a Game Over in the overworld). However, it's not that big an issue and was really only a very, very minor annoyance.

I enjoyed the water temple. I will be really angry if they change it in OoT 3DS.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
i hated epona, don't get me wrong she is a good horse but i hated her (how should i say this) movements, when you got to a certain point she backs up uncontrollably and you have to completely stop just to get off making it difficult for a certain side quest (im no mentioning it because it contains spoilers).

Yeah, the ability or lack there of to get off of Epona drove me nuts the first time I played it, now it hardly ever happens!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom