• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time What Did You Dislike About OoT

Okay people, it is time to break the sweet charm. Usually we're quick to hear what you didn't like about MM, TWW and so on... this time I'd like to hear what you didn't like about the Ocarina of Time game.

I'm sure there's more than a few things to mention.

:(

D

doclinkin

i didnt like when you got on eponia.
you had to push up and start going before could use a carrot.
too soon and you just dismounted...

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
It is very bland, OOT seems very magical and normal to me. It just doesn't have the real original feel a Zelda should (I am not using the first 3D game as an excuse.) The story and the enviroments are just so bland to me that it jsut doesn't make it an all around uber amazing game for me.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I felt the Hyrule Field was a bit empty in this game, there could have been some more things going on there in my opinion. Also the "Hyrule Castle Market" was a place that could have been done a bit better and somewhat more interesting. But this game is a masterpiece and I have no mayor complaints about it!

linkman8

True and Noble
I kind of agree with El Bagu, I wish Hyrule field was either bigger, or had more in it to do. Also, naturally what almost everyone dislikes about OoT: The Water Temple.

At first I thought it was boring as hell. It was the first Zelda game I'd ever seen, I didn't know it was called "Legend of Zelda" so my first impression of it was crap. Which just shows how much the title "Legend of Zelda" means. If it didn't have that title, nothing would've pushed me to play it. It was only until my brother told me about the series, I got into it.

Other than that, I would've liked to seen more random caves around hyrule - like Twilight Princess. I didn't like Jabu Jabu as a dungeon, it was boring. I didn't like water temple or shadow temple, they were boring.

When I think about it, the story isn't the best story, compared to stories I've heard from other games. Majora's Mask had a more interesting story to me. OoT was just the overused, 'save the princess from the big bad man' story.

Though when I played OoT the first time, I never heard of Majora's Mask. SO I didn't know any better.

A good Zelda game. Though if it didn't have Zelda's name on it, I would've ignored it.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I felt the Hyrule Field was a bit empty in this game, there could have been some more things going on there in my opinion. Also the "Hyrule Castle Market" was a place that could have been done a bit better and somewhat more interesting. But this game is a masterpiece and I have no mayor complaints about it!

I agree with that as well. For all the praise the game gets, I never understood why people are so blown away with Hyrule Field, and the business of Castle Market.

I know the Field was impressive to see just how large Hyrule Field was, but really, there's not much going on in it. No major areas with trees, no real landmaarks other than Lon Lon Ranch, and everything is stuck to the borders of it. It survers a purpose as a hub to other areas, but it could have been better filled. TP really took this idea and refined it. I felt like TP was something worth exploring. Hyrule Field bored me after a few treks across it.

With the Market, the main part was definitely busy with many people to speak to, but I was expecting to be able to enter every second building and have different shops and such. This disappointed as well, and was again, something TP greatly improved upon.

Regardless, OoT's a fantastic game, and these minor disliked really don't take away from the entire experience. I might have found these more disappointing after playing TP, but at the time they were new, they were minor issues.

MOS3

Agent Of Chaos
How dare you ask me to say something I don't like about OoT D: *sob* ....fine...
as far as gamplay/story/graphics etc goes I really have no complaints....I guess if I really have to say something about this game is that the original Zelda theme is nowhere to be found. Even though it's on termina field in MM, I still think it's more pleasant hyrule field music as background. I guess I would have used the original zelda theme on the menu screen or something.

original Zelda theme is nowhere to be found.

I can't believe I didn't even mention this. I thought it was largely disappointing once I played Majora's Mask and A Link to the Past, that Ocarina of Time didn't have the Zelda theme in the overworld. Even Wind Waker had more of a murmur of the Zelda theme in the Great Sea.

Guardian

The Chosen One
I agree with that as well. For all the praise the game gets, I never understood why people are so blown away with Hyrule Field, and the business of Castle Market.

I know the Field was impressive to see just how large Hyrule Field was, but really, there's not much going on in it. No major areas with trees, no real landmaarks other than Lon Lon Ranch, and everything is stuck to the borders of it. It survers a purpose as a hub to other areas, but it could have been better filled. TP really took this idea and refined it. I felt like TP was something worth exploring. Hyrule Field bored me after a few treks across it.

With the Market, the main part was definitely busy with many people to speak to, but I was expecting to be able to enter every second building and have different shops and such. This disappointed as well, and was again, something TP greatly improved upon.

Regardless, OoT's a fantastic game, and these minor disliked really don't take away from the entire experience. I might have found these more disappointing after playing TP, but at the time they were new, they were minor issues.
I agree with you. I would have to say that Castle market wasn't all that interesting to me and it could of used some more work. Hyrule field wasn't that much of an eye opener either.

I hated the Water Temple, and the change-boots-with-a-complicated-process thingy.
The Water Temple is annoying, but changing the boots is even more annoying.

R

ResidentZelda

That you couldn't skip cutscenes, Yeah that's it, that was utterly annoying.

Link 2 the past

Slashy Slashy
  • The control for riding Epona could have been better.
  • The first two dungeons seem very bland.
  • You can't use your sword on horseback.
  • No Zelda theme.
  • If you don't count past and furture as two worlds this might ber the smallest Hyrule yet.
  • Escaping from Gannon's tower was tedious and kinda piontless.
  • When you compare the Hyrule in this game to the Termina in MM, it seem very bland.
  • Past and furture Hyrule are too similar to each other. Not like the light world and dark world in LttP.

M

martynj

OOT was the first game in the series i played and i still enjoy playing it too this day but i hate having to run across Hyrule field as young link without epona and then when you finally get epona as adult link you can't gallop over bridge's and small bumps and so on... And the controll's for epona weren't that good when you were riding her it just wasn't "smooth". The water temple was a pain as well with the constant boot changes.

R

Renan

Going through the Water Temple was a pain in the *** and The Well scares me to this day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom