• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Defines a True Friend?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
This is a question that could change from person to person, but will always be the same general idea. What makes a true friend (as opposed to just somebody you call a friend) to you?
There are many factors that distinguish my true friends from just the people that I hang out with.

For one thing, the people I call true friends are always there for me. If I'm sad, or just having an all around bad day, then they will always be there to cheer me up. I know that I can trust them, too. I hang out with somebody who is always kind of a ****** to me, but I still somehow end up hanging out with him. He has never done a single thing to help me feel better; if anything, he makes me feel worse. I definitely would not put him on my list of the people I consider to be true friends.

I know I will always be able to trust my true friends as well. The reason I know is because they trust me just the same. We tell each other all kinds of stuff that we do not want other people to hear, and it never gets out. I tell secrets to anybody else, and the whole school finds out. The trust thing doesn't just mean telling secrets, however. I'll use a story as an example. That friend that I was talking about in the previous paragraph had borrowed my 3DS. When I got it back in two pieces, he said his dad's truck ran it over. With my real friends, that would never happen. I know that I could trust them with my life, as they would for me.

I have also never fought with them before. Not even once. We have no reason to fight. We may have the odd argument, but I have never had an actual fight with any of them. That friend that I named above? We fight all the time, on stupid things. It actually gets really annoying because our arguments go absolutely nowhere, and just end up resulting in us not talking for sometimes longer than a week.

Lastly, my true friends accept me for who I am, as do I to them. We have a lot of differences (for example: I listen to mostly rock, metal, and electronic music, whereas my best friend listens to practically nothing but rap... and Ke$ha), but we accept those differences. We don't try to change each other's views on politics, music, religion, or anything like that. Sure we may make fun of one another for some things, but in a friendly way. We know that it is always a joke, and that we never mean it as anything other than that. With other friends, that just doesn't happen. There is a lot of "Zelda sucks, haha you're gay" from the friend that I keep mentioning above, and he says it because he thinks it's cool, not because he likes to joke around. There is a key difference there, between joking and not joking, and that is what defines whether or not your friends truly accept you for who you are.

So that's my basic two cents on this topic, and I'm interested to hear your thoughts :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
All I can say is that a best friend is someone who makes you feel good even though you're upset with them. This is very fantasy like, but my best friend and I were in an argument in 3rd grade. I told him that he couldn't come to my house, and he said that I couldn't come to his. So we both pouted and went to separate corners of the classroom. By the end of the day, we were laughing again, and I believe I gave him a dollar that I had at that.

Later on, around 5th grade, he and his dad came to my house and he told me he had a girlfriend. Well girlfriends aren't something that I subscribe to, so I told him that it was a bad thing and he should "get rid of the grilfriend". Well he wasn't too pleased with that, but we still laughed anyway, and I felt really good.

Fast forward like 6 years later and I went to his house for a party. Woot woot for me, I realized I hadn't talk ed to him in a year. But we still played table tennis, laughed, and even talked school together.

Dan

In reality I don't think there really is such a thing as a true friend, or friends at all. I'd love a true friend to be someone we like and not someone we require to fill our selfish needs, but sadly humans gonna be humans :P
So in terms of human friends, I believe a true friend is someone that benefits you the best, out of other people, but also he benefits from you the best out of other people, this gives the faux idea that this person is really amazing and special, when in reality you are only merely being prioritised above others as they lack key elements your friend requires in which to spark a happiness which is well sort out from your brain to keep you living and controlled. This all helps to give us that blanket of illusion that life has a purpose and a goal. So yeah that's basically what a true friend is for everyone.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Just, being there. I think that's what I true friend is.

Not there because they want to be, not there because they happened to be around, not there because they've got nothing else going on, not there because they'll be getting something out of it; there because they want to be there, for you! Because every friend you can have fun with and go out with, have a nice chat to and have a laugh with, but, I know that if I was really upset or I needed a favour bad, I could ring certain friends and they'd be there, and those people are who I'd consider my true friends. So I think that's it, really, that's what I'd say a true friend is. And you discover who your true friends are when you need them most.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
there because they want to be there, for you!

To be cynical (or realist, whichever you suppose), if they're being there for you then obviously they get by with having others happy, so by that bit they are there because they're getting something out of it. It isn't some selfless act no matter what. :P

Dimooshky

The Mauve Avenger
People who respect you, your interests, your beliefs and likes and dislikes. Who never put you down for anything more than a joke. Who trust you and you trust them back. But, most importantly, realise that Zelda is not the guy in the green hat...

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
To be cynical (or realist, whichever you suppose), if they're being there for you then obviously they get by with having others happy, so by that bit they are there because they're getting something out of it. It isn't some selfless act no matter what. :P

Yeah, I know people like to think that and say that a lot, and maybe that's how you feel about things, but it's not how I feel about it, nor do others.

The way I see it a true friend, if you call them up and ask them to do something or that you need them, their first thought is for you and making sure they can be there and do it for you. Their first thought is not for themselves. True friends would put you first when you need them the most, and even when you don't need them. I know I can rely on people to do that, and they can rely on me too.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
There are no true friends, fellow ZDer. The people you call friends tend to disappoint you sooner or later. I know you all know that I don't believe in friendship, and I don't for many reasons. There are some here who can back up my words as to why I don't believe in it. CoughAnnieCough No matter how good one person seems to be as a friend to you, one day that friendship ends. A true friend to me is God, though. That's the only true friend I have. :cool:

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
To me, a true friend is someone who you can trust. Someone who's got your back. Someone who likes you for you, despite your differences. A true friend is someone you couldn't possibly stay mad at forever. Someone who understands you and encourages you to grow as a person. But most importantly, a true friend is someone who knows how crazy, unpredictable and downright weird you are, and still agrees to be seen in public with you. ;)

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
It's hard for me to say what a true friend is, because even though I have a few friends I consider close friends, there is so much stuff I can never bring myself to explain to them. Saying that, I would say my closest and maybe truest friend is this one girl who I've known since we started secondary school when we were 11.

We weren't close for that first year but when we got to year 8 we chatted a lot, and realised we're quite similar people and we always used to have a laugh, but then a lot of stuff happened in her family and she kind of changed and started pushing me away, so we started arguing a lot. Also, around that time, the people we used to hang around with in school started being really horrible and like, excluding me and a couple of other people. It was basically because they saw us as this threat to popularity because around this time we started to hang out with guys (we went to a girl's school so it was kind of hard to do that haha) we were like 14/15 when this started, and apparently guys liked us and they felt left out (maybe guys liked us because we just acted normal around them and didn't throw ourselves at them just because they're male). Anyway, she kind off went off with that group and although she wasn't as bad as them, I had to distance myself from her because I was getting really depressed and stuff was happening in my life too. So we just grew apart, didn't fall out majorly though.

Anyway, what neither of us knew was that we were going through similar stuff- depression and whatever. And then lo and behold, those girls did the same thing to her as they did to me, and her friend who she'd known since they were 4 said she was just pretending to be her friend because she felt sorry for her and all sorts of horrible stuff. Eventually, me and her started getting close again and we spoke a lot about everything we'd been through, and realised it was really dumb to be so distant when we were the only people who actually understood each other haha. And now we're back to being like sisters, it's nice.

So for me I'd say that a true friend is someone you feel comfortable getting dark with, like talking about things you find hard to talk about, but you trust them to understand and listen to you.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
True friends for me are people who are always there for me, no matter what. Someone looks past my flaws and accepts me for who I are. They are someone I can trust, and I have trust issues so I don't just trust anyone. I don't know how to go into details, but that's just my opinion.

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
To me a true friend are the ones that can stand by you though the test of time. I met my friends when I was in the 7th grade and here we are a few years out of high school and still going strong! yeah we may not talk that often and see each other even less but when we see each other it's like we never even left each others sides. we know we can depend on one another for anything if we need anything. I know when I was having the worst day my best friend showed up with a 6 pack! and we had a blast when she was over! i think true friends are down for whatever and be there to the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom