• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What country does Hyrule connect to, IRL?

What Nationality would you choose if you had to? (If you are already one you can't choose it.)

• Italian

• French

Results are only viewable after voting.
Now, I would like to say: I have a knack for these types of things. I think that there is a heavy connection from Hyrule to a real world country. My guess is Albania considering the weapon styles (the hero's sword in WW, for example, looks like a Gladius which was an Ancient Roman sword used by Legionaries on foot. Where this ties to Albania: Albania was under Italy 1939-1943. Which, also brings up the topic of Albania's flag looking like the Hyrulean flag (minus the Triforce). The look of the flag, then, ALSO brings up the subject of when the events of each game take place in our years. But, I will leave that to you to look into.
I would like for all of you to note that: I am French and Italian And often I find myself speaking with an accent that I have noted to sound nothing like any French OR Italian accent. But, what about AND?
This is all,I do say, educated speculation. But, my speculation brings up some amazingly interesting story points. (Also, a tiny side note: if I my paragraph started to not make sense, tell me. I don't mean to not make sense. But very often, I get really into writing my argument that I only focus on typing and pumping all the ideas out and I forget some parts of sentences. I like it when people help me correct my mistakes. I mean it).
This is a taste of my thoughts of Zelda being REALLY close to entering our world. I will leave this subject here. I will come back to this. But, for now let's give this "prospiracy" (see what I did there?) here and go onto where would you expect to find Hyrule on the map (or New Hyrule)?. I think New Hyrule would be some odd 300 miles southeast of Australia. 'How?' You may ask. Simple. It's upside down. Think about it. Really. Just think. It's cold in the northwest quadrant. There's volcanic activity in north east quadrant. It's all grasslands (like New Zealand...). Also it's all ocean and islands in the southwest. but the most important detail... Is "Chancellor" Cole. Chancellor. Chancellor. Funny isn't it. It's like a politician... In AUSTRAILIA?!. (Leaving it here, folks. Hope I didn't sound too stupid)

Night Owl

~Momentai
I tended to equate Hyrule closer to India seeing as they have the same currency, rupees. In WW the hurricanes on the Great Sea were called cyclones, the name given to hurricanes in the Indian Ocean. (before we started calling them hurricanes regardless of ocean).

I think it's safe to say that LoZ borrows elements from enough cultures that placing it as an IRL country is nigh impossible.

That was very hard to follow. For one, I don't see how WWII-era fighting relates to medieval fighting before roughly the year 1500. Also, the whole Chancellor thing doesn't make any sense - where does Chancellor appear in Zelda?

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Although Hyrule is fictional and a part of a fictional universe, I think you could easily equate it to any Medieval society really. It could even be Celtic. I don't think there's any meaning to them using rupees as a currency for example; it's just easy to understand because it is not decimal. Zelda games have elements of all sorts of myths, legends and societies, from Japan to old Scandinavia.

Mange

Bitte benutzen Sie Google Übersetzer
I guess it'd be an own continent or an isle of Japan.

If I was to place it anywhere, I'd put it south of France, linking Northern Italy and the Iberian Penninsula. A few reasons for this:

1) Climate. Hyrule seems to have a very moderate climate-- Mediterranean, one might say. Deserts to the west of Hyrule coordinate with the dryer, more arid climate of Spain, while rolling green fields are reminiscent of France or Italy.

2) Politics. Hyrulean politics and society are clearly Western European, no questions.

Although Hyrule is fictional and a part of a fictional universe, I think you could easily equate it to any Medieval society really. It could even be Celtic. I don't think there's any meaning to them using rupees as a currency for example; it's just easy to understand because it is not decimal. Zelda games have elements of all sorts of myths, legends and societies, from Japan to old Scandinavia.
I agree with all of that. But, I didn't say anything about the rupees. I wasn't talking about how it connected economic wise

That was very hard to follow. For one, I don't see how WWII-era fighting relates to medieval fighting before roughly the year 1500. Also, the whole Chancellor thing doesn't make any sense - where does Chancellor appear in Zelda?
I mean what if I took place in some pocket dimension of Albania where the technology was lacking. That why I didn't bother with that part.

Mange

2) Politics. Hyrulean politics and society are clearly Western European, no questions.

What?
Ok, if Hyrule would really related to be in Spain/France/Italy, then Gerudo Desert would be Spain, Hyrule Field France and the East Italy. But we have the problem that France isn't a Kingdom but a (proud) Republic and beside that, I can't see any equalities between hylian politics and french/european politics.
It would be nice of you to explain what you exactly mean.

Last edited:
The geography examples given in this thread so far don't even make sense. Like if real world geography worked the way this thread seems to be describing it Germany would seemingly have disappeared and Italy have become a mobius strip or some ****. Like I'm so incredibly confused by this thread, what is happening?? And why is Albania such a focus I just... what

:confuse:

Mange

The geography examples given in this thread so far don't even make sense. Like if real world geography worked the way this thread seems to be describing it Germany would seemingly have disappeared and Italy have become a mobius strip or some ****. Like I'm so incredibly confused by this thread, what is happening?? And why is Albania such a focus I just... what

:confuse:

Nah, it's not that unlogical. Let's look at the world map of OoT: we see no ocean at the edge of the map just mountains, so there might be placed other Zelda worlds like Labrynna, Holodrum, Lorule, Termina or Cocolint outside of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom