• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess What Could Now Be Improved in Twilight Princess? What Did the Game Do Wrong?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I recently started playing through Twilight Princess again. I believe this is my 9th playthrough. It is my joint favourite game, sharing the top spot with it is Ocarina of Time. However playing through again simply points out some blatant flaws and things that have not been done so well.
At E3 2004 the trailer for Twilight princess was met with screams of excitement and applause, whilst I had no real knowledge of this at the time I only knew of the games existence and had seen the odd screenshot I never really got excited until I saw a trailer for it on the TV and that was when it was released.

I was not over hyped for the game like many others were and it gave me no expectations that were not met. When I played it in 2007 It looked great, it played great, the story was great. I play it now in 2012 and to be honest, it looks terrible. I like the art direction and what they were going for, it probably looks ok on a little screen however I have a very high end 40 inch 3D LED TV, links face is barley visible, Ordon village looks like a green and brown haze with a splodge of purple or orange here and there. It actually looks better when you squint at it because all those nasty blurry edges disappear. On the Wii this problem is inevitable, it is a low powered SD console which does the game absolutely no justice whatsoever. The only way this problem could go away is a re-release on Wii U. It would be nice to see it with improved and updated HD textures, but even if they used the old ones it would look a whole lot better without the power limitations of the Wii.

The outdated appearance of the game due to the Wii's technical limitations is not my only complaint about the game. Skyward Swords intro in my opinion is a bit long and the tutorials can be annoying however Twilight Princesses introduction is long and boring, you have to perform mundane tasks such as goat herding helping a lady carry a cot to her house only to be rewarded with a fishing rod and then using it to catch a fish only to have a cat steal it from you. And that is only to put the obese shopkeeper in a good mood so she will sell you a slingshot. Then you must go and play with the villiage children where you learn the sword moves and practice using the slingshot, which is useful of course, but this could have been done sooner. It takes too long to get into the main story of this game. OOT and Wind Waker were straight in with the story. In OOT sword training was completely optional, in WW it served a purpose, to save somebody's life. There was a sense of urgency there, however the reason for sword practice in TP is to please some kids and to chase down and then probably bludgeon a poor monkey to death.

The game tries to accustom you to characters that are not only boring and dislikeable but are completely useless outside this introduction. Most will never be seen again. Very few of the important characters were fleshed out either, Bo the Mayor could have been a little more involved since he is of importance later on and Illia who is a main character I never cared for. In SS I cared for Zelda because of how well they introduced her, she was lovely sweet person, when she got captured it was a sad moment. If Illia had been clubbed to death by the bulblins instead of being captured I would not have given a crap. Simply put most of the character development in TP was bad. There were likeable and quirky characters who should have been involved more, but they just weren't, most of the good secondary characters were one hit wonders.

I found the soundtrack to Twilight princess to be rather good, the actual quality of the music itself was high. So why then must it be all MIDI apart from two tracks? There are several instances where the MIDI-ness of the music ruined the piece itself. I'll use the example of the track 'Dark Beast Ganon' it had a good sound to it, yet the blatantly synthesised choir and drumbeat let it down. It reduced my enjoyment of what was an epic fight. 'Dark Lord Ganondorf' also suffered from the same problem, along with all of the other boss fights and the various village themes and Hyrule Castle Town's theme, and Gerudo desert and I'm not going to continue. The game should have had full orchestra, end of.

Finally it is the difficulty of this game which I think it did wrong. In particular enemy damage. It is rather difficult to actually get killed in Twilight Princess especially towards the end (even if you just stand still and let something attack you). Enemies in general did pitiful amounts of damage, like half a heart to a heart. In OOT and MM there were enemies that dished out 5 hearts of damage at a time. One particular instance in Twilight princess where the sad lack of enemy damage is most noticable is in the final fight with Ganondorf. It was an epic battle to be sure, the thundering beat of the music added to the feel of it. You would expect to be fighting a powerful foe who deals heavy damage, and who is more powerful than the Dark Lord Ganondorf the wielder of the Triforce of Power? Not to mention he has a 6ft greatsword that glows, it just looks deadly. BUT NO! HE DOES 1 HEART OF DAMAGE FOR EVERY BLOW... 1! The final boss is easy!

Now those are the big three things about TP that really annoy me, there are other minor things that can be improved but today it's Graphics, Intro, music, difficulty and Character development which are the things that stick out like a sore thumb. I one day hope that this fantastic game gets a remake and that some of its flaws can be corrected especially the ones I said above.

If you took the time to read it all, what are your thoughts on my points? Were they your main problems with the game?
Please post what you think could have been done better and what could be improved if a remake was ever done?
Do you think it deserves a remake sometime, as the best selling Zelda game with over 8 million copies sold(excluding OOT combined with OOT3D)?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
-Outdated appearance is due to GameCube; TP is a GameCube game with a Wii Port (very big difference). I have no qualms with the appearance, personally.

-Hated the characters, if we axed all of the children except maybe Colin, Ordon would be a blissful place to live.

-Difficulty omg.

***​

Okay, as for what I think the TP did wrong. Linearity, game content and difficulty.

Twilight Princess is overly linear. You literally go from point A to point B and the road is ALWAYS in your face. There are no options for anything, and sequence breaking is too hard to do to be viable. It's no fun replaying the exact same game a billion times in a row with little variation between runs. Well, for me, it isn't. I like varying up different runs to make things interesting. Unfortunately, even with the worst restrictions (minimalist Wooden Sword runs), the linearity still kills any joy that TP could posssible have.

Game Content. Hyrule Field is too big, not too much to do. Beats out SS, but still not too much to do aside from enjoy the amazing scenery.

Difficulty. This game, like all post MM Zelda games, is far too easy. My main point is, like you Ganonking, the enemies don't deal enough damage. The highest damage dealt, if I recall correctly, is four (three?) hearts from King Bulbin's spin attack during final Hyrule Castle battle. That's as Human Link; chainmail gives doubel defense so I'm guessing Wolf would take eight (six?). But, getting hit by that attack is a joke because of the start up time. I admit, enemies will get hits in. But when they don't do enough damage to cause serious injury, it's pointless. If TP had higher damage output from enemies either from better frequency of attack or just higher damage multipliers I'd be okay with it.

I am currently playing TP on Wii on my 58" Panasonic Plasma. At first I thought the game looked pretty bad, but after playing and "adjusting" to it, I don't think it looks bad at all. Skyward Sword was beautiful and didn't take long for me to be impressed with the graphics, even with composite input. I am used to playing PS3 in HD so I know what modern games can look like, but the style in Zelda games makes up for the lack of HD.

What did the game do wrong? The whole beginning with the wolf and collecting the bugs. I know they are trying to make a spiritual successor to OoT and added that to make it different, but it really didn't add anything to the game besides being monotonous. I could see doing the tear thing once and make it spread across the land, but it got old fast. On the flipside, I didn't get bored with the silent realms or the song of the hero on SS.

The game is solid, but in between The Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, I feel it falls flat in the personality department. Everyone is stiff and lifeless, and the world is so brown and dark. I enjoy the game, but it could have been better.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Hated the characters, if we axed all of the children except maybe Colin, Ordon would be a blissful place to live.

With a real axe? Hey I've thought of a great spin-off: The Ordon Massacre, the plot centres around Colin a young boy who after being bullied as a child develops into a psychopath, hating the place of his birth he decides to go on a murderous rampage.

Game Content. Hyrule Field is too big, not too much to do. Beats out SS, but still not too much to do aside from enjoy the amazing scenery.

I agree. The field should have been more interactive with more to do. But at least it has scenery to look at. SS is just a sea of white with some grey blobs dotted around.
It is still my favourite field in Zelda, with perhaps OOT's field coming in second.

MW7

I had many problems with Twilight Princess, but actually there is not a ton of overlap between your complaints and mine. The graphics and sound weren't very important to me so those two items I never mention when talking about Twilight Princess. The character development wasn't a big deal for me either, but I really agree about the introduction to the game. My opinion is similar- Skyward Sword had a long introduction that could have been shorten/improved, but Twilight Princess' introduction was pure torture and awful. Having to catch two fish was probably the worst thing about the entire game. That is completely unintuitive, and I heard about many people getting stuck at that part of the introduction for an hour or more. The difficulty being low I'd agree with as well. I was practically never challenged in combat except when fighting ice enemies in Snowpeak Ruins and the Cave of Ordeals.

Now for things you didn't bring up. Actually most of my complaints can just be summed up as pointless linear progression. I really hated how in the beginning of the game all the paths were blocked off except for the one you had to proceed through. I just can't comprehend the appeal of taking away choices in an adventure game when you could so easily include these choices. The dungeons themselves were linear too except for the final one. Hyrule Castle has a huge optional area as well as a bonus room and a true branching path. The rest of the dungeons are exceptionally linear- why would you demonstrate you know how to design a dungeon in a nonlinear way but limit the vast majority of the game to strict linearity? My number one problem with the game was how the mirror shard dungeons had to be completed in a strict order. This made no sense at all from a gameplay standpoint or in the context of the story. They even introduce you to the four people at Telma's at once so you can easily figure out where the dungeons are. The game even teases players looking to do things in a different order because the road to Snowpeak opens up after the Lakebed Temple but you still can't reach it without the reekfish.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Even though this is my fav Zelda game it did have many flaws:

- For one the difficulty of the game was way too easy for my liking
- The bosses looked epic but offered little
- Boss fights became repetitive rather than a fun and challenging experience
- Dungeons were very similar in their structure eg. enter 1st room do puzzle ,enter main room which the Dungeon was based around, find the map, find the compass, face the mini boss and get the dungeon item, get the boss key and then face off against the boss....
- Hyrule field felt empty......very empty
- The 1st part of the game felt a bit too depressing and boring for a Zelda game
- The main boss Zant was built up very good, but he turned out to be a complete weirdo and the Familiar Ganondorf was behind it all.

Tbh TP did have many flaws as do all Zelda games but what it did right it did great!

RHhylian

Guru-Guru's strange son
I love twilight princess and I think it has one of the best dungeon designs in the series, but it did have A LOT of flaws.

-First of all, the game was RIDICOUSLY easy, when talking about combat at least. The enemies' AI was quite bad, combat was repetitive (especially the bosses) and the hiddens skills made it feel way too easy.
- Hyrule Field felt huge, but empty, like in OoT.
- The tears of light segments were very boring and unnecessary.
- The tutorials were too long, it took ages until you got to the first dungeon
- Ganondorf's build up felt as Nintendo just added him for the sake of having him in the game
- The graphics and artstyle were very 'meh', bland and unoriginal

The thing that annoys me most is how Ganondorf was introduced as the antagonist too late in the game. It would have been better if the player knew he was behind Zant's actions a bit earlier.

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
I see some things that could be changed without drastically changing the story:
The graphics can bee made extreme, similar to the Wii U Tech Demo graphics.
Fighting could be more accurate, not just swinging a remote.
More mini games, more side quests.
That's all I see to be changed.

Halfway is too late? That was the first climax of the game. How was that too late? (Just curious.)

Was it clearly explained at that point that Ganondorf was indeed behind Zant? I thought that after you defeat Zant was when he explained how Ganondorf was involved and where he was. Or maybe my memory is failing me...

I thought Twilight Princess was a great game and after Skyward Sword I appreciate its graphics and soundtrack more than ever before. They helped set a condescending tone of hopelessness. My main problem with the game past the irritable introduction is the set up of the narrative. Essentially Link travels to one portion of the overworld, completes the dungeon, and unlocks a new area. Moreover, the first third focusing on the losses of Ilia, Colin, Beth, and the others is devoid if any sentimental value whatsoever. It didn't both me that they were kidnapped by King Bulblin. He was a hollow placeholder of an overworld boss anyhow. My other major gripe relates to Zant and his development throughout the course of the adventure. I have no problem with Ganondorf's inclusion in Twilight Princess but rather how poorly the usurper king was discarded to the sight. There was no clear indication prior to his insane revolt in the Palace of Twilight. I can understand why players feel the inclusion of Ganondorf was a last second afterthought.

MW7 said:
Hyrule Castle has a huge optional area as well as a bonus room and a true branching path. The rest of the dungeons are exceptionally linear- why would you demonstrate you know how to design a dungeon in a nonlinear way but limit the vast majority of the game to strict linearity? My number one problem with the game was how the mirror shard dungeons had to be completed in a strict order. This made no sense at all from a gameplay standpoint or in the context of the story. They even introduce you to the four people at Telma's at once so you can easily figure out where the dungeons are. The game even teases players looking to do things in a different order because the road to Snowpeak opens up after the Lakebed Temple but you still can't reach it without the reekfish.

That's a good point you mention. I feel as though Skyward Sword fell into the same pitfall with respect to dungeons. Only Skykeep boasted a truly revolutionary concept with the ability to mix and mesh the dungeon's layout. Why does Nintendo choose to save these dynamic ideas for the last dungeon? It's as though the company is afraid traditionalists will retaliate. I felt it wasn't that bad in Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword even with the overworld skydiving, however, in comparison to the DS games. Phantom Hourglass screamed for players to explore other quadrants and yet they were blocked off by some invisible wall until a specific dungeon was completed. Spirit Tracks followed in the same footsteps, masking the error slightly more effectively with the excuse the spirit tracks had vanished.

In response to the OP. regarding remakes, I don't believe anything should be removed or else the remake is unfaithful to the original source material and becomes its own game.. Ocarina of Time 3D's developers took the time to incorporate all the original title's glitches and this is the path I'd like all future Zelda remakes to take. But that is a development for the future, preferably the 9th generation of videogames.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom